Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733482 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #480 on: December 01, 2012, 07:37:39 pm »

Yea, but if you are asking if you can control it all from stonesense you can't. 

Stonesense is a visualizer only.  If you switched to the window in fort mode with the game unpaused stonesense will show everybody moving about their buisness in real time, but if you want to actually control anything you'll have to have the DF window active.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Funslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 01, 2012, 07:40:06 pm »

Yea, but if you are asking if you can control it all from stonesense you can't. 

Stonesense is a visualizer only.  If you switched to the window in fort mode with the game unpaused stonesense will show everybody moving about their buisness in real time, but if you want to actually control anything you'll have to have the DF window active.
OHHH i get it now.
thanks for the help everyone.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 03, 2012, 09:34:47 am »

I used to play DF through stonesense...it works out pretty well if you have 2 monitors.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 05, 2012, 10:33:49 pm »

Alright, well I feel like I should post something, if for no other reason than to let people know that work is getting done. 

Spoiler: take a look (click to show/hide)

As you can see from the debug display in the top-left, draw times are way down due to recent changes.  The bottleneck is now (at least for large map sections) in the map read and beautification steps, and working on getting that lower is ongoing.  Not the most exciting stuff to see put in screenshots, but trust me when I say you'll notice the changes in the next release!
where is up?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 09, 2012, 03:13:44 am »

OK, draw times and load times are way down, and things are getting a lot more stable.  I played around 30 minutes of adventure mode with stonesense loaded up, and nothing crashed, so that's good. 

There are a couple of loose ends with some unloaded materials in a few corner-cases showing up as pinktiles, and bridges acting strange, but that's just a bump in the road compared to the overhaul of the map reader I did last week. 

A crash relating to material spatters prompted me to clean up how they work a bit, as well as handle the case of "evil blood snow":

Spoiler: the snow stops (click to show/hide)

So now what it does is choose to draw blood/water/vomit/whatever pools or snow/dust/bloodsnow/whatever piles, depending on which one is more plentiful, and tints the result based on relative abundance.  My first test with this I thought it was broken because nothing changed when the blood started to rain - it was only afterward that I realized it was raining crab-man ichor, which is supposed to be white. 

(It already did all this with the pools of blood, just blood snow was being strange)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:17:04 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 09, 2012, 12:35:47 pm »

"[then] I realized it was raining crab-man ichor, which is supposed to be white."; that made me chuckle

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 09, 2012, 01:24:47 pm »

I need to make a fort in a place that snows troll blood.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 10, 2012, 06:11:33 am »

Well, its almost Christmas again.  So shit;  Let's be Santa. 

Everybody loves 'A Christmas Carol' right?  And Eboneezer Urist can't have an overnight change of heart unless he gets some midnight ghost therapy.  We already have day/night cycles working, so the midnight part is covered, now we just need some ghosts. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So there they are!  No more naked dwarves wandering your fort, claiming to be the undead - actual ghostly ghosts will be haunting things up proper-like!

Also added a second profession indicator option:
Hit 'p' to cycle through [no indicators] [icon indicators] [colored name indicators]. 

Also added text-based job displays:
Hit 'j' to toggle job display.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:57:16 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 10, 2012, 04:50:37 pm »

Well, its almost Christmas again.  So shit;  Let's be Santa. 

Everybody loves 'A Christmas Carol' right?  And Eboneezer Urist can't have an overnight change of heart unless he gets some midnight ghost therapy.  We already have day/night cycles working, so the midnight part is covered, now we just need some ghosts. 

So there they are!  No more naked dwarves wandering your fort, claiming to be the undead - actual ghostly ghosts will be haunting things up proper-like!

Also added a second profession indicator option:
Hit 'p' to cycle through [no indicators] [icon indicators] [colored name indicators].

Cool! Though I rarely have a problem of naked dwarves claiming to be undead, usually they claim to be mayor... :P
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 10, 2012, 05:46:34 pm »

Sweet, I really like the text-based job displays!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 12, 2012, 03:09:44 am »

so these are working again... kinda... tall megashots (ctrl+shift+f5)

If the zoom is set too high they tend to crash trying to allocate space for the image or something.  Not a lot I can do about that except complain about allegro or opengl.  Gonna try to play with some options to maybe make them a bit safer to use though (have it guess that what you're trying to do will cause a crash and just abort it) since I don't want people's games being interrupted by crashing screenshots.

update1: Today I got dynamic keybinding for all keyboard actions working.  Just a text file so no GUI or anything, but you can remap stuff to whatever you want now.  Mouse events are probably going to stay hardcoded, since I can't think of any reason to remap any of those,  except maybe the mouse wheel. 

update2: Got an onscreen display of loaded keybindings.  Default key is '/' or '?':
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:42:23 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

sibelius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 13, 2012, 08:44:19 pm »

Is there a way to remove that blue fog? I'm attempting to take a picture of a taller tower I built, but it kind of gums up the shot.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 14, 2012, 12:22:56 am »

Is there a way to remove that blue fog? I'm attempting to take a picture of a taller tower I built, but it kind of gums up the shot.
Open up "init.txt" in the stonesense folder and change "[SHOW_FOG:YES]" to "[SHOW_FOG:NO]".
where is up?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 14, 2012, 12:27:27 am »

Not while it's running, but you can edit df-folder/stonesense/init.txt to remove the fog.

However, if you take a full fortress screenshot,  using ctrl+F5, or a tall full fortress screenshot with ctrl+shift+F5, it'll do it without fog.

sibelius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 14, 2012, 02:01:34 am »

Not while it's running, but you can edit df-folder/stonesense/init.txt to remove the fog.

However, if you take a full fortress screenshot,  using ctrl+F5, or a tall full fortress screenshot with ctrl+shift+F5, it'll do it without fog.

Where are the screenshots located? I can't seem to find them(sorry).
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 85