Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733440 times)

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #375 on: July 04, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »

Looking nice.

Those fish should never change.

You're safe, creatures aren't my department. :D

Besides, who doesn't love evil, demonic looking carp with glowing red eyes?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:07:29 pm by chrisadams3997 »

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 04, 2012, 02:14:51 pm »

Like the textures!  :P
Frenetically clicking on "Stonesense HD Sprites" link.  :)
See "Last Updated: Jun 29, 2012, 04:25:51 am".  :(
O God, WHY?  :'(
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 04, 2012, 02:26:38 pm »

Gotta wait a bit longer, all the new stuff still has stuff to finish up on before releasing.  I'm kinda getting the concepts straightened out on all the terrain stuff I'm making before putting the finishing touches on it all.  Still gotta make floors to match walls and make it all tile well (that's one of the biggest challenges with terrain stuff), same for the vein and gem overlays.  Hell, the gem subsprite still needs a top, and it's being 'hand' drawn, so it takes longer. 

I'd also like to release all three soil types together and I haven't gotten to clay yet at all (sand is mostly finished, still tweaking it).  It'll probably be a couple of weeks.  But it'll be basically all the natural terrain covered except ramps (which I'm planning on working on following that, followed by stone constructed walls, floors, ramps)

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 04, 2012, 07:19:49 pm »

Decided while I was playing with gems on walls and floors that I'd handle the item versions of them at the same time.  I'd really like to be able to make some variations on these, but there's complications with that.

To make the 'specular highlights' (e.i. the really reflective shiny spots) I've got to add them as a white colored subsprite over the item colored main sprite.  Without that the shiny spots come out really saturated bright spots instead of shiny.  Take my word for it, it's not pretty :P.  So if I created a few variations of the rough gems for instance, the subsprites would need some way to be correctly linked to the correct base sprite, and we can't do that if I'm not mistaken.  So we'll have to live with one variation. :)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 04, 2012, 07:53:41 pm »

Wrong.

As long as each layer has the same number of variations, each layer will pick the same variation in stonesense.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 04, 2012, 07:57:29 pm »

Nice, I'd assumed it wouldn't do that and you'd end up with them mismatched.  In that case...

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 07, 2012, 09:21:47 am »

I can't see lava/magma in Ssense, but other then that using the HD stuff... I am captivated.

I fixed that shortly after putting the files up originally, Just redownload it.  Same for anyone else with that issue.  ;)

After a week I come up today with magma, but it does not show in stonesense:

I did re-download your package (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6576), restart DF and Stonesense, but no avail. Any hint?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 07, 2012, 11:35:08 am »

Damn, I'd updated the xml, but not the .png for lava to show.  I'm updating the main file with it, and those with .11 can just download this patch with the fixed png.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 07, 2012, 07:40:14 pm »

Would it be possible for the Stonesense developer(s) (I am not sure who they are at this point) to have Stonesense set a window class for itself? Certain window managers in Linux (e.g. DWM, Xmonad) have problems identifying it, and thus automatically manipulating it, because it has no WM_CLASS (as shown by xprop).
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #384 on: July 07, 2012, 08:13:23 pm »

Damn, I'd updated the xml, but not the .png for lava to show.  I'm updating the main file with it, and those with .11 can just download this patch with the fixed png.
Exellent, also my children have all of them? Haha jk altho this work is fantasic.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 07, 2012, 09:34:36 pm »

Would it be possible for the Stonesense developer(s) (I am not sure who they are at this point) to have Stonesense set a window class for itself? Certain window managers in Linux (e.g. DWM, Xmonad) have problems identifying it, and thus automatically manipulating it, because it has no WM_CLASS (as shown by xprop).

Right now, Stonesense uses a third party graphics library that handles all the window management, and doesn't actually handle any of that stuff itself.

Alon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 07, 2012, 10:22:32 pm »

Sup Stonesense

Wouldn't it be cool if the program could detect when a unit, a thrown item or a flying bolt moves from one tile to the adjacent tile, and use this information to animate the sprite into the new location, instead of simply popping up a refreshed grid? Depends on the performance of third party graphics library of course but it should be possible.

It would be even nicer if it could also read the speed of the object, and decide from it the speed at which to interpolate. So that the movement animation would be smooth and linear for fast and for slow objects alike.
But I don't even know if there is a way to read the speed...

Anyway, is there any chance of us seeing such a feature?

Stonesense seriously looks good though. I have but one issue with the graphics, as can be seen in this image:

In the first screenshot, note that it's easy to see the tint difference between left and right (white sand VS red sand, I think)  but it's near impossible to see the shading difference between the higher layer and the layer below it, so it wrongly looks like flat land, even though there's a height difference (as can be seen in the second screenshot)
Although there is a shading difference in place if you squint, usually in gaming this shading difference is more accentuated and in DF it may be even more important cause the game has a tendency to be a mess! Please consider this.

Alon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 07, 2012, 10:37:19 pm »

Another issue, this time tiny:
When a door is connected to 3 adjacent walls, for example - LEFT, RIGHT, UP, or LEFT, RIGHT, DOWN, Stonesense will prefer to decide that it's a vertical wall (I'm talking about the ASCII axis), but it would make much more sense to see it a horizontal wall, because there's both left&right as connected walls, but a vertical door is connected to nothing at the bottom/top end.

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 07, 2012, 11:28:58 pm »

Sup Stonesense

Wouldn't it be cool if the program could detect when a unit, a thrown item or a flying bolt moves from one tile to the adjacent tile, and use this information to animate the sprite into the new location, instead of simply popping up a refreshed grid? Depends on the performance of third party graphics library of course but it should be possible.

It would be even nicer if it could also read the speed of the object, and decide from it the speed at which to interpolate. So that the movement animation would be smooth and linear for fast and for slow objects alike.
But I don't even know if there is a way to read the speed...

Anyway, is there any chance of us seeing such a feature?

Sure, right after Toady establishes an event API for modders to use.

*crickets*

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 08, 2012, 12:15:16 am »

Another issue, this time tiny:
When a door is connected to 3 adjacent walls, for example - LEFT, RIGHT, UP, or LEFT, RIGHT, DOWN, Stonesense will prefer to decide that it's a vertical wall (I'm talking about the ASCII axis), but it would make much more sense to see it a horizontal wall, because there's both left&right as connected walls, but a vertical door is connected to nothing at the bottom/top end.
UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A START?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 85