Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250059 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #960 on: April 21, 2012, 12:49:28 pm »

A single tile wide secondary entrance that is only opened during sieges. Wait for the enemies to go there (bait!)  and then launch multiple mine carts down that single area (preferably full of powered rails) and watch the show. It's like sending your enemies into the barrel of a gun and THEN pulling the trigger.
Make sure to set that pressure plate deep enough inside to trigger the trap so it's too late for anyone to dodge the bullet.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 21, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »

So... minecarts are now deadlier than ballista bolts?

Yes, they will be deadlier than ballista bolts. The side effect of a hauling systems is a railgun. Meanwhile, actual ballista bolts aren't even sharp, dealing blunt damage instead.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 21, 2012, 01:26:27 pm »

There are many games that have minecarts for transportation and industry.
Then there is Dwarf Fortress, which makes sure that velocity and mass is taken into consideration when calculating the length of bloody skid marks resulting from minecarts.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #963 on: April 21, 2012, 01:34:49 pm »

Then there is Dwarf Fortress, which makes sure that velocity and mass is taken into consideration when calculating the length of bloody skid marks resulting from minecarts.
I recall a part in Half-Life 2 where you use a minecart with a propeller mounted in it to wipe out a hallway of headcrabs and zombies. That was pretty cool.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 21, 2012, 01:50:33 pm »

I recall a part in Half-Life 2 where you use a minecart with a propeller mounted in it to wipe out a hallway of headcrabs and zombies. That was pretty cool.

Lol quick, some-one (who is not me) and who is a pro at modding, make a headcrab minor mod that can be copied into anyone's game =)

OOoooooooh the hilarity that would ensue =)
I voted for BANANA!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 21, 2012, 01:59:53 pm »

I for one hope that there are pressure plate tracks, so I can make a mine-cart-only entrance to the fort, and goblins will be redirected into the spike pit visitor's center.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 21, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »

this might provide a use for venom. fill a cart with fogotten beast junk, send it into the gobbo army. necrosis ensues.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 21, 2012, 02:32:13 pm »

Somewhere in the beginning toady mentioned carts being able to trigger pressure plates, and being able to set them to notice empty or full carts.

Siege engines? Nah, we got a minecart. It's more accurate too and don't need any training.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 22, 2012, 09:20:38 am »

Actually, a dwarven shotgun wouldn't be efficient, as the eagle could just dodge all of them sequencially. What you need is 25 parallel launchers, arranged so that they shoot a 5x5 wall of lead minecarts.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 22, 2012, 09:29:01 am »

Actually, a dwarven shotgun wouldn't be efficient, as the eagle could just dodge all of them sequencially. What you need is 25 parallel launchers, arranged so that they shoot a 5x5 wall of lead minecarts.
No.
THEY HAVE TO FIRE A WALL THAT COVERS EVERY SINGLE BIT OF OPEN SPACE IN THE DIRECTION THEY'RE FIRED IN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 22, 2012, 09:30:52 am »

That's the general idea.  A proper air suppression system would invoke a large square of carts flying in formation, the "flying wall" effect.  This also means that when they land, they'll form a "rolling floor" as well.

Imma embark on a 3x16 zone for proper Fun.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 22, 2012, 09:33:37 am »

"Minecarts flying in formation" - That's the best phrase I've heard in a very long time.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 22, 2012, 11:46:31 am »

That's the general idea.  A proper air suppression system would invoke a large square of carts flying in formation, the "flying wall" effect.  This also means that when they land, they'll form a "rolling floor" as well.

But then surely the creature would just dodge lots of times in a single turn until it escapes the flying wall, like when you put a dwarf on a 10-spear weapon trap.
[Signature]

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 22, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »

But then surely the creature would just dodge lots of times in a single turn until it escapes the flying wall, like when you put a dwarf on a 10-spear weapon trap.

It only has to not dodge once.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 22, 2012, 12:59:09 pm »

If this works, it would mean the discovery of dwarven faster than light travel.

Imagine a legendary dodger standing next to a wall, on a long field of tracks. An unbroken line of minecarts heads towards him, and he dodges the one heading towards him, into the path of the next one, which he dodges on the same tick, and then onto the next one, and the next...  Sometimes he may dodge backwards, but the only place that will take him is back to the wall, so he'll just have to dodge back the same way again. If he keeps dodging, the random dodges back and forth can eventually only end at the far side of the line. It's expensive in CPU time, but in game mechanics terms he either arrives instantaneously at the other end of the minecart line, or dies horribly in the attempt.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 95