Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250071 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #930 on: April 21, 2012, 01:02:34 am »

Now the ultimate !!FUN!! project will be a simultaneous railgun track into a trapping courtyard that closes off a siege. The carts cover every bit of the yard at once, meaning with the flip of a lever you could splatter dozens of greenskins with malicious, bloody glee.

This, but with marksdwarves riding the carts.

Here's a bit of science;  If marksdwarves fire bolts straight ahead while riding on fast-travelling minecarts;  will the bolts be accelerated?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 21, 2012, 01:16:59 am »

One would assume so. Toady's got a great understanding of physics.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 21, 2012, 02:22:23 am »

But df crossbows are currently pretty crap at physics.

It would probably be best to keep you marksdwarves out of the goblin-bowling carts, since apparently they will be prone to dodging out of them.  Instead, have them fly overhead in nice little arcs over the entrance hall, while the screaming berserker axedwarves ride the smashing carts, perhaps with some undwarfed carts loaded up with pitchblende or galena rubble as an opening volley, to soften them up.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 21, 2012, 02:37:20 am »

New idea: minecart duels. If it's possible, you get the invading army, stick them in a bunch of carts, and then line them up, with your military on the other side, launch them, and if neither of them has won by the end of the flight, it's magma for both of them.
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 21, 2012, 03:33:45 am »

Functionality should be added to "this item menaces with spikes of [insert something hard and sharp here]", and when decorating a cart, only spikes should be created.

I'll be opening up a roadkill restaurant in my next fort, I think
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 21, 2012, 03:45:50 am »

Functionality should be added to "this item menaces with spikes of [insert something hard and sharp here]", and when decorating a cart, only spikes should be created.

I'll be opening up a roadkill restaurant in my next fort, I think

If aerodynamics is the science and practice of reducing air friction, then a big adamantine blade on the front of a minecart for effortless slicing through a crowd is... what? Carnodynamics? Multitudodynamics?

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 21, 2012, 04:16:49 am »

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 21, 2012, 04:23:45 am »

The latest devlog and the somewhat idiosyncratic way toady chose to implement things like burning damage gives me a giddy hope that he didn't make the minecart smashing into the dwarf cause damage in and of itself, but instead all the pain and smashing of skulls into brains happens on collision with a hard surface.  We could have a dwarf punting machine, with a massed kitten landing pad (I don't think water would work, though I suppose magma would, in a manner of speaking).

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 21, 2012, 05:48:15 am »

What about an execution chamber consisting of a U shaped track ride, two platinum carts with heavy stuff inside on each end
You drop a goblin at the bottom of the "U"
Release the hounds of Armok and squeeze the goblin into the rough embrace of cart-love
Then the rollers at the bottom speed the cart back up for reload
Unforbid the doors and clean up the Goblin burgers ™ for further processing
Thus making the McUrist's ™ restaurant
Don't ask where we got the meat
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

vintermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 21, 2012, 06:22:01 am »

The latest devlog and the somewhat idiosyncratic way toady chose to implement things like burning damage gives me a giddy hope that he didn't make the minecart smashing into the dwarf cause damage in and of itself, but instead all the pain and smashing of skulls into brains happens on collision with a hard surface.

You're in luck. Take a look at the latest devlog. Dwarves can now sustain scrapes by sliding along rough surfaces, for instance after a minecart collision. (Of course, "The axedwarf slams into an obstacle!" we've had for a long time, so that was going to happen anyway.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 21, 2012, 06:31:49 am »

Maybe someday object that menace with spikes of steel or something will do extra damage too. It's only a matter of time before you can make either minecarts or battlecarts
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 21, 2012, 06:49:24 am »

I wonder if the surface has any effect on the skidding. Will dwarfs skid further on ice than on stone? Will grassy tiles slow skidding dwarfs more than soil tiles?
Will dwarfs skip across water when they're fast enough?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 21, 2012, 06:58:38 am »

Hmm... can minecarts hit flying creatures in mid-air? I could see a machine to the effect of punting a goblin high into the air with +Lead Minecart+ #1, and then have +Lead Minecart+ #2 launch perpendicular to it and hit it in mid-air (precise timing necessary), causing an abrupt course change, shattered bones and a drop into a magma pit. Just because.

Alternatively, perhaps we could use minecarts to try and hit naturally flying creatures, such as giant eagles. Take careful aim, and...
The *Platinum Minecart* hits the Giant Eagle in the upper body, shattering the bone!
The Giant Eagle slams into an obstacle!
The Giant Eagle's upper body skids along the ground, tearing the fat, bruising the muscle, fracturing the left false rib and bruising the heart!
Giant Eagle has bled to death.
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 21, 2012, 07:07:44 am »

Hmm... can minecarts hit flying creatures in mid-air? I could see a machine to the effect of punting a goblin high into the air with +Lead Minecart+ #1, and then have +Lead Minecart+ #2 launch perpendicular to it and hit it in mid-air (precise timing necessary), causing an abrupt course change, shattered bones and a drop into a magma pit. Just because.

Alternatively, perhaps we could use minecarts to try and hit naturally flying creatures, such as giant eagles. Take careful aim, and...
The *Platinum Minecart* hits the Giant Eagle in the upper body, shattering the bone!
The Giant Eagle slams into an obstacle!
The Giant Eagle's upper body skids along the ground, tearing the fat, bruising the muscle, fracturing the left false rib and bruising the heart!
Giant Eagle has bled to death.
If Minecarts can hit them at all, and cause Collision FUN, then they can hit them anywhere, including in the air.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 21, 2012, 07:08:10 am »

Did anybody else, upon reading Toady's description in the dev log, think of Dwarven Bowling?  Line some dwarves up along a track, send the cart at them and then see how many go flying and how far.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 95