Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250036 times)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #990 on: April 23, 2012, 09:36:21 am »

Only one problem that might cause problems with firing a minegun/cartgun (come on guys, minecart railgun or simply railgun isn't dwarfy).
The possibility of causing low FPS because of the parabolic travel calculations and the sheer amount of collisions and moving objects.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:28 am »

I don't suspect major lag caused by railguns.  Magma chambers cause more FPS drop than anything, I think railguns will run relatively smoothly.  Enough so that if you're watching the collision event, you'll be paying more attention to the carnage than the lag.

Now, if this were Minecraft we'd be modding in particle physics and new smelting methods.  If we had total free-range modding, I could easily imagine having minecart smelters using a friction furnace, where the cart zooms along a track so fast that it warms up enough to melt copper and tin in the same cart and when it finally slows down it drops a lump of bronze.  Or smashing physics, where you could send copper and zinc hurling down two separate tracks at terminal velocity, and when they collide they fuze into brass.

But, we can't do that.  So I'll settle for railguns.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #992 on: April 23, 2012, 09:49:57 am »

Only one problem that might cause problems with firing a minegun/cartgun (come on guys, minecart railgun or simply railgun isn't dwarfy).
The possibility of causing low FPS because of the parabolic travel calculations and the sheer amount of collisions and moving objects.

You might get a lag spike if the cart collides with a particularly dense cluster of units (in the hundreds at least), but it certainly won't affect FPS long term.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 23, 2012, 09:55:12 am »

Dwarven Collider (Rethought)

Instead of horizontal, Vertical, and seeing as carts PROBABLY won't have 'wheels' at all but instead will float (Physically)
It might work :3
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 23, 2012, 10:07:54 am »

Soo... minecarts driving in circles?

Only problem: There are no circles in Dwarf Fortress.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:55 am »

Well put right-angles there, it still works, but the idea is to put a goblin in their and make him sick.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #996 on: April 23, 2012, 01:06:32 pm »

Is there any way we can make a minecart accelerator of sorts that makes better use of drop pits, rollers, and good layout planning? And to make it a tad safer, allow for it to be a bottom-loading design? I mean, we'll need to set it up in a way that it can recursively build up a ton of power, and use the same upward ramp that makes it line up for more powering up as a launch ramp as well upon reaching an escape velocity, loading it into a secondary accelerator or railgun so we have a pre-powered minecart loaded into an already high-velocity allowing device, such as a railgun, or mechanism sequencer (minecart pressure plate rig for simultaneous or rapid sequencing).

At the end of whatever cycle (if not railgun), there should be a drop pit for it to reload the accelerator; possibly also utilizing parabolic arcs, maybe launching the used minecarts back into the fort through a giant stone dwarf head.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Possible Design (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:27:10 pm by Itnetlolor »

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 23, 2012, 01:15:55 pm »

srd: i doubt that would work.  it might work going down, but on the way back up it would probably just crash into the wall rather than changing direction to go over the top.  even in real life, the only thing that would cause that direction would be tracks on the ceiling.  now that i think about it, it probably wouldn't work on the way down either.  it would land on the lower ramp and start rolling uphill until it crashed into the wall or ran out of momentum.

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 23, 2012, 03:02:51 pm »

I've had a thought for a new minecart-launcher design. Basically a circuit, with a little extra added:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically, it relies on the fact that sufficiently speedy minecarts will come off corners - and in this case, straight onto rollers and launcher. Meaning it acts as a high-speed-cart detector - as soon as a cart is sufficiently speedy, it will zoom off and hopefully splatter some goblins. Work would need to be done to see which corner it always comes off, so the rollers + launcher can be in the right place.

Also, one thing I'm not sure on with regards to Itnetlolor's design: The first cart would keep speeding up and permanently be quicker than the carts behind it, meaning eventually it'll catch up with the ones behind it. So I don't think you can have multiple carts, as terminal velocity (which all the carts in the system would need to hit before the first cart hits the last) is greater than cart-derailing velocity, meaning they'll never hit it, as they'll derail first.
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 23, 2012, 03:13:22 pm »

here is my plan for minecarts.

Siege offensive deployment.

Keep the doors locked instead of opening them and risking the whole fort. My thought is that if we can set the cart and tracks up right that we can launch the cart off the tracks. Now think of having a fully steel clad dwarf in that cart along with several others launching off the tracks over the walls and landing in the middle of an enemy invasion.

I MUST MAKE THIS WORK!!!
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 23, 2012, 04:33:18 pm »

As far as speed detectors go, you don't need to rely on derailing. If you have a pressure plate hooked up to a clock arrangement of some kind, with a split based on that clock somewhere down the road a piece. That way, when the slow carts go over, they'll go past the junction (and thereby back around the loop) until they're fast enough to reach the split before the end of the clock cycle, when they'll shoot straight on and blast of to squish some goblins.

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 23, 2012, 04:49:57 pm »

Except that's a lot more complicated. ;)
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1002 on: April 23, 2012, 05:49:15 pm »

Also, one thing I'm not sure on with regards to Itnetlolor's design: The first cart would keep speeding up and permanently be quicker than the carts behind it, meaning eventually it'll catch up with the ones behind it. So I don't think you can have multiple carts, as terminal velocity (which all the carts in the system would need to hit before the first cart hits the last) is greater than cart-derailing velocity, meaning they'll never hit it, as they'll derail first.
My design must have been mis-interpreted. Those extra carts were placed in a way so you can send them through one at a time. Sorta like a gun magazine/clip holds ammo. I'm not dumb enough to all at once. Plus, if you have a good sequence down (like 3 laps, and you know it'll go flying), then you can send one through, wait until the guaranteed escape velocity is reached (final lap), and then push the next one, and make sure to keep a decent stock made at the beginning. The setup is in case you can't walk over the carts (especially if filled), but can still push them out.

I guess my design follows OSHA compliance a bit primarily for dorf safety.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:50:51 pm by Itnetlolor »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 23, 2012, 09:14:05 pm »

Complexity won't be the issue, speed will be.  All the different structures have delayed.  Doors, floodgates, bridges, etc, they all have a 100 tick delay.  When you get the "on" switch, they either trigger instantly or trigger on the next tick.  When you get the "off" switch, they take a full 100 ticks to de-trigger.  If minecarts are moving at violent speeds, that 100 ticks will be far too short.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 23, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »

Except that's a lot more complicated. ;)

when has complicated ever been a bad thing?
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 95