Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250091 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #900 on: April 19, 2012, 07:50:59 am »

It seems that if they are powered, the corner blocks are the logical places to apply power.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 19, 2012, 08:10:30 am »

It seems that if they are powered, the corner blocks are the logical places to apply power.

Carts travelling above a certain speed will derail, so that would probably be a bad idea.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 19, 2012, 08:34:10 am »

Not if you powered them into the turn.  Rollers are directional in the same way that bridges are directional.  It's entirely possible to have the roller on the curve that pushes it in the direction of movement instead of pushing it off the rails.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 19, 2012, 11:42:28 am »

I think if you poked around DF.exe's data... codey... stuff (not the game's memory, but the actual executable file), you could probably locate the bit of code checking to see if a cart's over the roller's speed limit and change the value it's being compared to. Probably not worth the effort, and even then probably not that simple.
Directly editing a compiled exeecutable is akin to editing a floppy disc with a small magnet and a steady hand: theoretically possible, but not really feasible.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 19, 2012, 11:47:54 am »

Actually not really.

There has been various binary patches that have fixed various bugs. (Most of which got merged into later versions)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:04 am »

Editing a compiled executable, yes.  That's why you decompile it first.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 19, 2012, 02:32:20 pm »

Disregard
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:42:58 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 19, 2012, 02:35:03 pm »

Since parabolic arcs are now capable, can we now have artillery?
Also: Would empty minecarts on a track going through a magmafall become filled? I can only imagine the possibilties of using this method to fire magma filled minecarts at enemies.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:42:41 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 19, 2012, 02:37:00 pm »

Since parabolic arcs are now capable, can we now have artillery?
Flaming artillery.

With axedwarves.

And flaming zombies.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 19, 2012, 02:40:49 pm »

You know you can edit your posts...

Anyways, I believe toady said that minecarts passing through falling liquids do not currently fill, and I don't think they can hold liquid anyways.  I'm hoping those unspecified minecart-liquid interactions will include that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 19, 2012, 03:41:02 pm »

Currently they do not, but we don't know what Toady will develop in the future.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 19, 2012, 08:22:05 pm »

Any comments on the "random item framework" or "adventurers able to move while in midair", or the other upcoming work?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 19, 2012, 08:33:15 pm »

Any comments on the
1) "random item framework"
2) "adventurers able to move while in midair"

1) the potential for some crazy artifacts is tremendous. Although it could end up looking more like you duplicated item_tools.txt and generated a world...

2) I fully intend to leap off a cliff and punch a bronze colossus in the face on the way down, taking it's head clean off. :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 19, 2012, 10:13:05 pm »

If adventurers can move in rushing minecarts, while in flight, or otherwise "while things are happening that should be too fast for your speed to handle" then it will be time to set up a Balrog fight.  Drop a titan on you and drop you both through a chasm.  Whoever hits the ground alive gets to crawl away at a speed of 1 step per 2,000 ticks while passing out from pain.  Jelly legs are complimentary.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 20, 2012, 09:13:23 pm »

Quote from: Dev Blog
"The Miner's head skids along the ground, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!" That happened after a minecart full of stone going ten times as fast as the dwarf collided with him and sent him flying. They'll skid on a part if they are moving fast horizontally when they hit the ground. This can end up leaving bloody skid marks intermittently as they repeatedly strike the ground. If the carts aren't going super fast and the dwarf has a space, they'll almost always dodge aside, and even if there is no space, if the cart is going slow enough, they'll just stop it. If they do get hit by a fast cart though, it'll transfer momentum according to the cart's mass and speed as well as the dwarf's, sending the dwarf along. The heaviest fast minecarts will blast through many dwarves before they are slowed significantly. The struck units move in parabolic arcs now (instead of the old fly straight then fall straight down).

This update is going to be so awesome. I cannot wait.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 95