Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250150 times)

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #825 on: April 14, 2012, 10:27:15 pm »

-1 for RNG, there's currently pretty much zero RNG involved in mechanics.  Pumps, gears, levers, it all works with exact tick-precision specifications.

Clockwork precision is always a good thing for mechanical wonders... =P But I always love the idea of the quantum foam effect on very complex highly tuned systems =) Call it Murphy law given teeth...

But I completely understand your desire for carts to be predictable.
I voted for BANANA!

rkyeun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 15, 2012, 04:24:14 am »

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but this might make a more secure entrance.
Have the only way into your fortress be an external minecart ride that builds momentum, triggers a pressure plate, jumps your minecart through the air and over your fortress wall, closing a drawbridge behind you as a result of the pressure plate. The migrants get out of the cart and the cart zips out to drop back at start.
If invaders can't ride minecarts, they can't get in. But your soldiers can ride the cart out.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 15, 2012, 04:26:15 am »

-1 for RNG, there's currently pretty much zero RNG involved in mechanics.  Pumps, gears, levers, it all works with exact tick-precision specifications.

Clockwork precision is always a good thing for mechanical wonders... =P But I always love the idea of the quantum foam effect on very complex highly tuned systems =) Call it Murphy law given teeth...

But I completely understand your desire for carts to be predictable.
Murphys law on a superweapon/transport system would be the doom of us all. *shudders at memories from X-Com*
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 16, 2012, 01:15:16 am »

DF already is murphy's law in practice, we don't need randomness inserted as well.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 16, 2012, 07:01:32 am »

So...pre-release silence?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 16, 2012, 08:28:26 am »

Bowling anyone?

get some enemies trapped in an alley, and then push various switches which unleash the carts--the carts could even reset themselves ---now the pens..that isn't as easy...

One person could build it; get everything read; save it and then distribute it. We then see who can get a high score!

STRIKE!

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:14 am »

Hope so, I thought my girlfriend was going to kick me in the face last time I told her how amazing this release is going to be. ::)
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 16, 2012, 10:28:47 am »

I love the goblin supercollider ideas. So far, the mountainhomes have only theorized on the smaller component parts of goblins. I can't wait to recreate some Temple of Doom cart running as well down near the magma level.

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 16, 2012, 10:53:36 am »

I love the segragated fortrezs stories this will enable.

"Welcome... to burrow 17. You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocat to one of our finest remaining dwarven settlements."
me gusta so much. how to expand uppon this...

You could look up Fallout lore, and see how many vault experiments could be recreated in DF.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 16, 2012, 11:01:24 am »

You could look up Fallout lore, and see how many vault experiments could be recreated in DF.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 16, 2012, 11:12:43 am »

Liquids can evaporate randomly (or pseudorandomly), so while pumps per se do work precisely, the pump based repeaters and similar more advanced contraptions do not. I tried probably all such things from wiki, and many of them are not reliable at all.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 16, 2012, 11:27:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I see no problms with this. Maybe a giant panther.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 16, 2012, 12:03:10 pm »

I'm having an idea for minecarts : make a multi-tile dwarven rollercoaster as part of the fortress entrance, with a drop facing the entrance so when the goblins enter your fort, send the minecarts away. Make them out of lead for more kinetic energy.

And then...

"Hey snodub, see the entrance ? Why does it have rails in the stone ?"
"I don't know dospnosp, but it's probably nothing"
"And what about that sudden rolling sound ? I have the impression that..."
*goblins raise their heads*
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH"
The speeding -lead minecart- strikes The Goblin Axeman in the leg, tearing the muscle and shattering the bone !
The speeding *lead minecart* strikes The Goblin Axeman in the upper body, bruising the heart through the <<iron breastplate>> !
The speeding +lead minecart+ strikes The Goblin Axe Lord in the head, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain !

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 16, 2012, 04:55:23 pm »

New Challenge

Open pit strip mine.

Start with a single tile (or square of tiles) and work your way out in a spiral patern.
each full turn results in a drop in z-level. When you reach the edge of the map a spiral going down can be used with scaffold support.

restrictions:
(multiple) single room barracks for your workforce
overseers (nobles) must have nicer seprate rooms and offices from the "Workforce"
minimal smelting, ie. Only picks and some minimal wepons for the guards of your "Workforce"
minecarts only for transport
No Atomsmashing all stone sold, No exceptions.
farms are above ground only (optional)
carts are powered by "workers" only (optional)
no rooms carved into the side of the pit (optional)
Safety wall built around the edge of the pit (optional)

see how high you can get your exported wealth before the elite goblin archers pincushion your workforce
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 16, 2012, 05:32:38 pm »

Have fun with the gobbo archers indeed, although a wall is quickly built.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 95