Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250122 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #840 on: April 16, 2012, 05:43:32 pm »

So...pre-release silence?

Hmm... I have noticed that being a pattern there, of that... HMMM...

Huh. Just realized toady totally missed it. He should've uploaded 40d back on April first, called it 0.35.01, and listed off a buncha crap in it. :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 16, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »

Now for another challenge - play Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 in Dwarf Fortress !

Elves Goblins are the guests, dwarves are park personel. Goblins must have an near-death, painful enjoyable experience, and must leave the map in fear with most limbs broken alive and happy ! No guest death will be tolerated, nor military security guards ! Also, they pay in goblinite, so release them naked outside the park so they may leave to their dark fort and be slain for their uselessness bring out more goblin friends !

And remember, the strikethrough text is what you must follow avoid at all costs !

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 16, 2012, 10:19:15 pm »

I fixed up some high-speed physics problems that caused energy to be created in the carts (so they'd go faster and faster...), confirmed that the Newton's cradle from the FotF questions works, changed the adv projectile loop so that you can jump out of carts while they are flying or step out of the way if one is hurtling toward you (it still resolves arrows before you can move). I handled the save compat for minecarts -- it adds the necessary raw object and entity information to old saves now to allow you to make them. This was a little more involved than I thought it would be, and I ended up having to add the random item framework to easily insert the definition. There aren't going to be any randomly generated item types yet, and I didn't think the first one would be a save compat minecart, but the changes will smooth the way for such objects whenever we end up wanting them. Depending on how raucous my birthday ends up being, there might not be a log tomorrow. There wasn't a log yesterday because the forum crashed and I managed to screw up my FTP password in the process of fixing it.

Overall, to wrap up the hauling changes, we still have to do unit/minecart collisions, fluid/minecart interactions, some speed-related accidents, add some more support for setting up carts at stops independent of routes (for use in traps, etc.), consider a few more efficiency changes for routes/items in carts, add some more information to tool definitions to control how carts are made and stored, update mining, consider wheelbarrows, handle work animals... that's probably not everything. So there's a bit left to do, but it should be cool.

Yes. It will be cool.

Love you Toady!! :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 16, 2012, 10:34:58 pm »

Tightening code, looks like.  Expect release sooner rather than later.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 17, 2012, 12:40:09 am »

And with save compatibility too!  And fluid-minecart interactions!  Maybe we will be able to transport magma with minecarts.  That random item type sounds interesting, too.  I wonder if it will be useable for interesting things with raw modding?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 17, 2012, 12:50:45 am »

And with save compatibility too!  And fluid-minecart interactions!  Maybe we will be able to transport magma with minecarts.  That random item type sounds interesting, too.  I wonder if it will be useable for interesting things with raw modding?

We might be able to automate magma loading and dispensing with pressure plates and floodgates.  You could automate an obsidian farm

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 17, 2012, 12:59:11 am »

Or get useful quantities of magma to the surface without building a pumpstack or piston, which would totally revolutionize my fortress design.  I've never thought that having magma near the surface was remotely worth the 150+ level pumpstack, so my dwarves either have to walk all the way down to the forges, or I just build my fort in the depths.

I think this would provide a nice intermediate level of magma access.  Currently, discounting pistons, which aren't often used anyways, you either have surface magma in enormous quantities thanks to dwarven superpumps or you have none at all.  This would provide enough magma to use for crafts, for a much more achievable setup cost, but not enough magma for massive fuck-the-world type projects without multiple lines of tracks, saturated with carts. 

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:52 am »

Posting to follow!
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #848 on: April 17, 2012, 10:19:05 am »

You know? With all this mincart stuff being worked on, and how many awesome things can be done with it; I might just have to put off working on the BloodAxe airship for just a few more moments until this release.

Not only would it make construction a little easier to manage, but when the ship is done, I can setup a loading dock in such a way so that while it's docked, I can keep the default entrance and whatnot setup, and have a secondary port for loading and unloading via carts. And for those who are about to miss their flight, I'll have a ski-jump using breakaway carts. Alternatively, I can also use minecarts as a sort of dwarven drop pod when dropping military out of the airship.

Webcarrots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 17, 2012, 10:30:36 am »

I can't decide what my first big project will be.  Probably some science tests on travel, falling speed, damage, weight capacity, etc...

First real project, probably something to do with "the new falling rock trap" complete with platinum-packed minecarts.

A circular Dwarf Hadron Collider should be your first project, perhaps attempt to discover (Or create) The Dorf Boson. (Or the Urist Boson if you prefer)

The Digg's Boson

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 17, 2012, 10:52:30 am »

I can't decide what my first big project will be.  Probably some science tests on travel, falling speed, damage, weight capacity, etc...

First real project, probably something to do with "the new falling rock trap" complete with platinum-packed minecarts.

A circular Dwarf Hadron Collider should be your first project, perhaps attempt to discover (Or create) The Dorf Boson. (Or the Urist Boson if you prefer)

The Digg's Boson

The Urison.  The smallest particle type you can reduce a dwarf to by smashing them with a fast-moving heavy object. 

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 17, 2012, 01:00:43 pm »

ThatAussieGuy, I want to see a new project using mine carts when 35.XX comes out.

Also, I had a dream last night that 35.01 came out.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 17, 2012, 02:41:59 pm »

ThatAussieGuy, I want to see a new project using mine carts when 35.XX comes out.

Also, I had a dream last night that 35.01 came out.

defeat the hfs using nothing but minecarts and make the glowing pits into rollercoasters
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 17, 2012, 02:48:48 pm »

I intend to send carts flying over the pits.  Landing on the other side is optional.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 17, 2012, 02:54:22 pm »

I give it about a week before someone makes Mr.Bones Wild Ride in DF
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 95