Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250102 times)

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #855 on: April 17, 2012, 02:56:28 pm »

I wonder what the highest ascent will be. It would be max velocity + one ramp at the bottom. But 20z lvls would make for a pimpin escalator ), especially say... if you only needed 4 rollers to hit top speed before the ramp.

You could build an entire fortress on pillars in the sky only interconnected with such jumps 200 z-lvls high... no stairs or bridges except as temporary scaffolds, only using mine carts to get labor, too and from.

@Mr bones wild ride, you would need to find some way to supply them with food for the journey lol. Barrels of bear and dogs biscuits in the cart... or some way to drop fresh food and booze as the carts passed under without stopping =)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:59:12 pm by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 17, 2012, 02:57:14 pm »

Can we see the Mr Bones Wild Ride complete map?
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 17, 2012, 03:07:40 pm »

I give it about a week before someone makes Mr.Bones Wild Ride in DF
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Armok's grotesque chest-hair, YES!

This must happen. I laughed so hard I forgot how to breath and I may need to change my pants.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 17, 2012, 03:22:38 pm »

Armok's grotesque chest-hair, YES!

This must happen. I laughed so hard I forgot how to breath and I may need to change my pants.

Minecart Tycoon! If we can stick units other than our own dwarves (or just caged things) in the carts, we can use the entire fort to keep goblins and elves riding Armok's Extremely !!Safe!! Ride!
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 17, 2012, 04:30:08 pm »

You know? With all this mincart stuff being worked on, and how many awesome things can be done with it; I might just have to put off working on the BloodAxe airship for just a few more moments until this release.

Not only would it make construction a little easier to manage, but when the ship is done, I can setup a loading dock in such a way so that while it's docked, I can keep the default entrance and whatnot setup, and have a secondary port for loading and unloading via carts. And for those who are about to miss their flight, I'll have a ski-jump using breakaway carts. Alternatively, I can also use minecarts as a sort of dwarven drop pod when dropping military out of the airship.

Wait, what?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 17, 2012, 04:32:36 pm »

...where have I been?  How have I been sitting in the corner staring at the wall all these years?  How did I never realize MR. BONES WILD RIDE in all my time in this cesspool of filth and debauchery?  I...  I still have much to learn.  I am not done.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 17, 2012, 04:47:44 pm »

I'm just looking forward to making an entrance like this:

<-Fort            Wilderness->

++ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .++
>============X+++
>============X+++

'+' is floor,  '=' is track (probably with powered accelerators), 'X' is floodgate (default off), '>' is minecart ready to go, and '.' is 10+ z-level pit. Maybe with magma.

Goblins invade, get on the bridge, floodgates go up and minecarts are go. Goblins either get slammed between the floodgate and the cart, or dodge (as is seeming likely) into the pit.

It would make me very happy. And no reason there couldn't be axelords on the cart, I suppose.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:49:22 pm by Old Greg »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56:27 pm »

And then I thought my 20860 feet Giga Coaster was long.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 17, 2012, 05:00:51 pm »

Mr Bones' Wild Ride is about as long as is possible with infinite money. :P

Ah, the dwarven... Mr Armok's BLOODY Ride will be interesting.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 18, 2012, 01:22:24 am »

Dwarves die of thirst in approximately 62 days, based on a test embark. Since each day is 1200 ticks in fortress mode, you have to occupy the dwarves for at least 74400 ticks.

Since on average a dwarf takes a step every 10 ticks or so, a hallway that was 7500 tiles long would be impossible to escape from without dying of thirst. A few quick calculations show that this would easily fit into a few z-levels of a single embark tile. You would need to have shortcuts (lockable doors) for the miners.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #865 on: April 18, 2012, 01:25:37 am »

Now I wanna play RCT again, and see if I can rebuild another monstrosity. Consider what I had in mind a necksnapper vertical coaster.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 18, 2012, 01:27:44 am »

The Dry Hallway is an interesting concept indeed!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 18, 2012, 01:31:11 am »

Dwarves die of thirst in approximately 62 days, based on a test embark. Since each day is 1200 ticks in fortress mode, you have to occupy the dwarves for at least 74400 ticks.

Since on average a dwarf takes a step every 10 ticks or so, a hallway that was 7500 tiles long would be impossible to escape from without dying of thirst. A few quick calculations show that this would easily fit into a few z-levels of a single embark tile. You would need to have shortcuts (lockable doors) for the miners.

Bonus points for having booze every 500 tiles and atom smashing or dropping it down hatches just before dwarves reach it.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 18, 2012, 03:36:01 am »

Wouldn't you be able to fit it into a single z-level if you start in a corner of a 4x4 embark and make it spiral inward?

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 18, 2012, 11:54:00 am »

Is it just me that sees "fluid/minecart interactions" in the dev blog, and immediately thinks of mist generators?

I am hoping that carts entering water can make a splash and throw up some mist.

Dig a small pit, with ramps either side, and a track going through it. Connect this track up to a larger loop so that any cart exiting the pit zooms around the loop and drops back into the pit from the other side. Now fill the pool with water and shove some carts in.

Every time a cart splashes into the water, it pushes another cart out the other side, and they loop round to splash again, push another one out, generating mist forever with no pumps.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 95