Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250423 times)

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #420 on: April 06, 2012, 10:45:13 pm »

Historically, minecarts were pushed or pulled around by people (yay for child labor!) and ponies (bigger horses wouldn't fit in the mines).

I'd love to see Pit Ponies in the game, they're part of my North-East English heritage. =3
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2012, 10:59:06 pm »

Quote from: Toady One the Great
... There are powered "rollers" placed in strips that increase the speed of minecarts in a given direction, up to a point (more than enough to get them up a ramp, anyway). I don't have an engineering sense at all, so you can imagine the rollers to be... whatever you like. Perhaps they even make sense. ...

The only real-life use of drive wheels/rollers that I can find is in roller coaster systems. Note that old roller coasters pulled the cart to the highest point using a chain, and then let gravity take over. Drive wheels are a newer technology, and more modern roller coasters use electric linear motors and such. Historically, minecarts were pushed or pulled around by people (yay for child labor!) and ponies (bigger horses wouldn't fit in the mines).

Considering this and what I read in the rest of Toady's update, I think I'm going to have quite a bit of fun with minecarts.  Oh my, yes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 06, 2012, 11:01:44 pm »

I'm most excited about the weight issues.  Cart sorting sounds amazing.  And of course, the potential for mid-air collisions is astronomical.

Also, rollers are probably very fun.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 06, 2012, 11:02:34 pm »

Depending on how crashs work, we may have the next DAS. New slogan: Minecarts: The biggest thing since multiple z-levels.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 06, 2012, 11:03:39 pm »

I'm most excited about the weight issues.  Cart sorting sounds amazing.  And of course, the potential for mid-air collisions is astronomical.

Also, rollers are probably very fun.

That's pretty much as I pictured it.  Also, you just KNOW someone will have a fully-automated hauling railway set up within a month of the release.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 06, 2012, 11:05:26 pm »

I'm already laying the gridwork in my head for the newest iteration of hauling tunnels.  That sand is going STRAIGHT to the magma forges!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 06, 2012, 11:07:53 pm »

It'll be pretty awkward for us to stack minecarts. Toady gets to cheat and debug them into play.

We'll have to make cargo cart chutes, and drop them, with maybe some scaffolding on the side to help maintain their shape.

Not really.

(where "u" is a minecart. Side view.)

If you do this:
Code: [Select]
    ___________ <---u
    ___________ <---u
    ___________ <---u
    ___________ <---u
    ___________ <---u
    ___________ <---u
    ___________ <---u
_______________ <---u
You can get them (hopefully) to all stack, and they'd have a forwards momentum as well.

I think my idea would have less infrastructure then that one.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 06, 2012, 11:12:36 pm »

Whilst I'll admit that there will be plenty of fun things we ought to be able to do with rollers, I can't help but think that most people here are ignoring their latent potential.
/人‿‿人\

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 06, 2012, 11:13:19 pm »

hmm i wonder if rollers would/should require mechanical power to speed up a cart?
so rollers would be a more "high tech" thing as you have to build wind/water-wheels and gears all over first, where the "low tech" would be pulling dwarves/animals to get carts up ramps...
also would give another "use" for mechanical power exept pumps... but might be too much hassle? dunno... but i think toady has in mind to get more mechanical power uses into df with reseting weapon traps and lifts/moveing fortress sections... or maybe more workshops that require power to work quicker.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 06, 2012, 11:14:30 pm »

Whilst I'll admit that there will be plenty of fun things we ought to be able to do with rollers, I can't help but think that most people here are ignoring their latent potential.
Not with rollers you're not.  Toady already said they'll accelerate "up to a point".  However, downhill momentum...

hmm i wonder if rollers would/should require mechanical power to speed up a cart?
I am 98% certain that they will.  It makes too much sense.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 06, 2012, 11:24:54 pm »

Not with rollers you're not.  Toady already said they'll accelerate "up to a point".  However, downhill momentum...

I don't care if it's powered by the blood of legendary weaponsmiths, so long as it leaves burning trails on the ground.
/人‿‿人\

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 06, 2012, 11:29:30 pm »

I don't care if it's powered by the blood of legendary weaponsmiths, so long as it leaves burning trails on the ground.

"When this minecart hits 88 UristMilesPerHour, we're gonna see some serious Clowns!!"

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 06, 2012, 11:36:38 pm »

Mid-air collisions suggests a marvelous new execution method.

Build a tower of supports with a single floor on the top that has access to a staircase via bridge, build a cage with the prisoner on top, link it to a lever, raise the bridge, and open the cage. Then release two minecarts down a slope at the same time so that they launch into the air and crash into each other at the top of the tower.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 06, 2012, 11:44:34 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCEc_043-Fc

They even had magma pits! Now imagine that with crossbows.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 06, 2012, 11:46:36 pm »

I am happy I am not the only one who has plans to weaponize minecarts. I wonder if a full minecart will hurt more than an empty one?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 95