Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250405 times)

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #435 on: April 06, 2012, 11:47:47 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCEc_043-Fc

They even had magma pits! Now imagine that with crossbows.

Great, now you've got me imagining drive-by arrowings on goblin invaders.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 07, 2012, 12:09:58 am »

I am happy I am not the only one who has plans to weaponize minecarts. I wonder if a full minecart will hurt more than an empty one?

I imagine that a booze-laden minecart that runs through a channel full of magma will hurt more than an empty one.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 07, 2012, 12:37:33 am »

For some reason I can't get a new DF intro tune out of my head.  It replaces most of the music with the well know sound of a rollercoaster car being pulled uphill (as all RollerCoaster Tycoon games have), and then, instead of ending with screams from the riders, it ends with the normal intro sounds of the dwarf breaching adamantine and dying.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 07, 2012, 01:49:51 am »

Re latest devlog,  it appears you can stack minecarts.  And when another crashes into the stack, it is disrupted.

The game appears to know the difference between carefully stacking, and other types of coming together.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 07, 2012, 02:21:42 am »

Hmm... Looks like my forts will be a lot deeper, now. Dwarf level, liquid plumbing level, then cart level. Repeat.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 07, 2012, 02:38:10 am »

I'm most excited about the weight issues.  Cart sorting sounds amazing.  And of course, the potential for mid-air collisions is astronomical.

Also, rollers are probably very fun.

Is it weird that I used to have that exact toy, a long time ago? lol   I used it to shoot checkers... after I got bored of using the track for cars...

I am happy I am not the only one who has plans to weaponize minecarts. I wonder if a full minecart will hurt more than an empty one?

I imagine that a booze-laden minecart that runs through a channel full of magma will hurt more than an empty one.
This is a brilliant idea. It must be done.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 07, 2012, 02:40:49 am »

Quote from: Toady One the Great
Carts can also collide with each other, whether they are on the ground or in the air

Bonus dwarfbucks to whoever can cause a midair collision. Or, even better, weaponize. Maybe fill them with magma, launch, have them collide with other carts/walls and detonate. Or shoot flying mounts. :D

Urist McAntiAirGunner: "Those giant cave swallow mounts weren't such a good idea, were they?!"
Okay, how about this: One cart filled with magma... one cart with water... both launched up ramps at the same time at each other, over a goblin siege. Instant obsidian is formed in midair, crumbling downwards and causing a cave-in effect - wiping them out. THAT is dwarfy.
Three carts.  One filled with magma.  One filled with booze.  One filled with coins.  Arrange simultaneous three-way mid-air collision.

Flak cannon.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 07, 2012, 02:41:19 am »

Minecart railguns.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 07, 2012, 04:06:17 am »

Whilst I'll admit that there will be plenty of fun things we ought to be able to do with rollers, I can't help but think that most people here are ignoring their latent potential.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCEc_043-Fc

They even had magma pits! Now imagine that with crossbows.

I don't think I'll be able to resist diverting my tracks through the caverns, just for the hell of it.

Also, a single stack of carts is one thing, but would a cuboid megastack be possible? If so, would a single cart colliding with the megastack just affect the stacks in line with it, or would the effect fan out?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 07, 2012, 04:12:03 am »

For some reason I can't get a new DF intro tune out of my head.  It replaces most of the music with the well know sound of a rollercoaster car being pulled uphill (as all RollerCoaster Tycoon games have), and then, instead of ending with screams from the riders, it ends with the normal intro sounds of the dwarf breaching adamantine and dying.

Going by the sequence we see in the video, that's actually a miner breaching the 2D magma vein and being incinerated rather than a Glowing Pit.

Anyway, far as DF tunes go:

I want to roll with the miners.
They see me cartin' dirty.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 07, 2012, 04:37:57 am »

What if we drive minecarts into a small one tile wide hallway into HFS or into a trade depot where elves are trading, oh the possibilities.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 07, 2012, 04:48:15 am »

Speed up roller sections? Awesome... nothing more dwarven than a mechanical chain lift connected to a water wheel. :D
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 07, 2012, 04:50:55 am »

I can't wait for my dwarven theme park

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 07, 2012, 05:00:45 am »

Now the most important question that is left is do carts collide with creatures?

we also seem to be getting closer to new types of siege engines.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 07, 2012, 05:06:48 am »

Im sceptical about this whole minecart thing. I mean, if we had some simple explosives to put into the carts they'd propably make great weapons. But I can't see them becoming efficient for the transport of items unless they transport a dwarf and the dwarf considers the minecart in his pathfinding.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 95