Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....  (Read 19649 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2012, 04:11:04 pm »

The only crappy part was when the dwarves had to stuff a mutilated cat and all 20 of its teeth into a burial receptacle so the owner wouldn't chimp. Seriously, is it necessary to bury the thing with every last piece of it?!
Urist McChaplain: Dearly bebearded, we gather here today to witness the burial of Urist McCatsplosion. I didn't know the poor thing, but it led a goblin siege into the deboner that Urist McMechanic set up on level 3 and that's all that matters. Urist McHauler, if you'd be so kind.
Urist McHauler: *empties box of bits into a coffin and fishes out the non cat bits*
Thanks for that, made me laugh!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2012, 07:54:08 pm »

The way i see it... The easiest workaround this fix...

Don't make bins :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2012, 08:46:23 pm »

It will certainly not be the same without my affectionate mental image of burly little drunkards with wild beards racing around carefully holding one seed between the fingers of both hands.  But then, the image has already been degraded a bit by the clothing requirement.   :D

I'm with you here. The little line of dudes running into and out of the fort from the latest goblin corpse just swells me with pride, and I imagine them rushing, just rushing, trotting down a now-footworn path to the site of carnage, carrying the one sock, or the thong, or the xxjabberer leather capxx, it never having occurred to them that they could have picked up one or even more other items...
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:10 pm »

I just said this in the FotF, but it applies here, as well.

Farming will probably eventually become more difficult and work intensive to help use up surplus dwarves perviously destined for hauling. I'm sure they'll be needed elsewhere, too. I don't think spending time balancing it in the short term is important.

If we go in that vein, we could also go for mining that takes longer, as well, which will mean that there will be more stone to haul away, and will be more difficult to deal with, slowing down all the major resource generation methods, as well as significantly restricted migrations, so that labor itself is limited.

In fact, making all forms of resources (stone, food, metal, and possibly making wood take up more than one log for furniture the way that metal bars are doing now) more scarce is pretty much mandatory for the economics changes to ever make sense, as there is little meaning in complex trade mechanics when you can produce such tremendous quantities of valuable objects that you can buy out any caravan that ever comes.

To be complete, the game is going to need to severely limit almost every aspect of resource production, anyway. 

Preferably, as the game becomes more automated, then there can be more complex and granular steps in the creation of almost any item, as per the Fortress Economy Rewrite, without taxing the player specifically.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:20 pm »

...or the thong,...

Lolololol... I feel for the dwarf with that job...

Of course, since we don't have a laundry service...

And dwarves put on goblin clothes...
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2012, 08:56:54 pm »

This will make producing megaprojects much less daunting in regards to waste and resource management. Where wood and stone blocks would be concerned, they will become even more likely used when it comes to producing and transferring them to job sites, as well as cleanup if used for support and dismantled as a form of scaffolding/support.

One of my main problems with fortress expansion was cleaning up; now this should make me less worried about everyone being busy cleaning up as I expand.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2012, 08:59:11 pm »

You can carve tracks in stone now. I haven't done the wooden/metal constructed tracks yet. I haven't done minecarts either, but that's next. Tracks can be carved in stone floors or stone ramps, and it keeps track of the four directions in each tile so that you can have adjacent parallel tracks or carve writing into your fort without using too many tiles. For minecarts to make sense for mining, we'll have to change how mining works, but I want to get the carts moving first. By the time we're done, we're hoping to have the mining system remain about the same for new people, so they don't have to worry about tracks to get started (this might involve default embark wheelbarrows which dwarves would automatically use), but things will be much more efficient for people that use tracks and minecarts, across various industries.
Looks like Toady is changing mining.  Perhaps the rocks from mining need to be moved out of the way now?  It would make sense that wheelbarrows are used at the start to clear away rocks, then minecarts used later in the fortress's life.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2012, 09:12:25 pm »

I'm trying to imagine where the hell I'd stick all that stone. I can see for moving large amounts of ore, that'd be pretty nice. But for stone? I end up leaving it in the mines because it's the most efficient place to put it.

Automating a delivery line to the caravan though, that sounds might useful.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2012, 09:19:40 pm »

I make my stone into blocks :3
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2012, 09:24:05 pm »

This sounds even better than the clothing release!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2012, 09:54:09 pm »

All humor aside, I'm genuinely puzzled by how the mining carts will work.  I'm sure he has a plan, and we'll all see how it works in good time.  I'm just wondering what the carts will be built of, and whether dorfs can still walk where there are tracks, and how it's all going to fit in with the 150 levels of 3x3 up-down staircases that join my forges to the rest of my fortress.  Surely tracks can't run vertically?  Maybe they will require ramps?  Will they be 3x3 like wagons, or 1x1 like a draft animal?  What powers them?  *wanders off babbling*   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2012, 09:55:46 pm »

Back in my day grabbing more than one thing was a preposterous idea and the idea-thinker-of`ers were burnt in the pits of armok! bla bla bla.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2012, 10:11:02 pm »

All humor aside, I'm genuinely puzzled by how the mining carts will work.  I'm sure he has a plan, and we'll all see how it works in good time.  I'm just wondering what the carts will be built of, and whether dorfs can still walk where there are tracks, and how it's all going to fit in with the 150 levels of 3x3 up-down staircases that join my forges to the rest of my fortress.  Surely tracks can't run vertically?  Maybe they will require ramps?  Will they be 3x3 like wagons, or 1x1 like a draft animal?  What powers them?  *wanders off babbling*   :D

Well, the post did state that you can build tracks on ramps.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2012, 10:16:24 pm »

It will not take very long before the community weaponizes the minecarts.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2012, 10:17:14 pm »

I am expecting that stones are now going to cause dwarfs to move very slowly when moving them... making wheelbarrows and minecarts needed for deep fortresses.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10