Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....  (Read 19612 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2012, 06:12:02 am »

Animal Power is noted under expanded mechanics on the Dev Page, but yea, I'd be cool to have animal powered cargo carts.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2012, 08:49:50 am »

Animal power would directly impact how much I care about grazing. I want to put those bums to work!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2012, 08:50:34 am »

pfft, I'd rather make my haulers do this 'animal power' and keep butcher the horses.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2012, 09:01:42 am »

But if draft animals can power things as young, you could just rotate out as they get older and more profitable.

Now all we need is glue making processes implemented...
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2012, 11:05:45 am »

These new changes will make it all the easier to make a "Kanban Fortress".  I approve.
Sanity is for the weak.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2012, 11:20:16 am »

These new changes will make it all the easier to make a "Kanban Fortress".  I approve.

Whats that?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2012, 12:17:31 pm »

www.lmgtfy.com/?q=kanban

I don't think kanban would work in DF..  Well possibly.  It depends on how "programmable" carts are.  If you can designate a cart "remain at this station until empty" then you can have a cartful of pants.  When it becomes empty, then it will return to the clothier's shop, triggering a pressure plate that unlocks the door and allows the clothier in to produce more pants.  When the pants quota is reached and the cart is restocked, it's sent back down the line, triggering a second pressure plate that removes the dwarf from the workshop (likely water-related) and locks the door, shutting down production.

If that works half as well as it should work, then you end up with a fairly constant stream of clothing produced via cart automation, only producing pants when needed and having a very low overstock amount, which is ideal for industry.  The less stock sitting about collecting dust, the higher your profits!

I may try to include some form of Kanban system in Minecraft now.  I've been toying with carts quite a bit...

fritz04

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2012, 04:38:13 pm »

Not sure if anyone else does this, but I usually set up a custom profession in dwarf therapist that is hauling + masonry.  Then when I go about mass construction efforts, (several z-level high walls around the map, large towers, pyramids, etc.) I have about 50 random dorfs building them instead of one who gets himself stuck every five minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]