Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....  (Read 19615 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 10:31:47 pm »

I don't really use full-time haulers anyway, just aim for four workshops for every five dwarves with the necessary labour turned on and let them take it in turns. This way I can do that while not having everyone constantly on the go; the frequent "talked with a friend" thoughts and getting to wander around the awesome sculpture parks might be good for offsetting negative thoughts about how long it's taking to sort out the bedrooms or the booze running out. We really need negative thoughts from overwork...
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 10:37:03 pm »

We really need negative thoughts from overwork...
This thread is full of all kinds of mad nonsense!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 10:38:16 pm »

There is, in fact, a positive thought from overwork.  "has been content at work lately."

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 10:43:08 pm »

The real question is... how is it going to be implemented?  Mass cleanup (d-b-?)? Automatically happen whenever items are lying around with enough room in a stockpile?  Dependent on some factor, like checking for items lying around in rooms (dining hall, dormitory, etc.)?  It's anyone's guess...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:36 pm »

Currently sounds like they'll take the container to the items, instead of the item to the stockpile.  At least, when there's a big enough mess.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 10:49:52 pm »

There is, in fact, a positive thought from overwork.  "has been content at work lately."

Nothing wrong with that, but being content at work ought really to come from a happy equilibrium between being underemployed and having too little downtime. Maybe something to look into once the Caravan Arc is done and we have an economy that actually works?

And am I the only person on this forum who feels an actual duty of care towards the ornery little sods and puts a lot of effort into making their lives not suck?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 10:52:28 pm »

There is a significant chance for that, yes.

Also, I think there will be some downtime for the dwarves, a few releases maybe. Then when Toady starts to tackle the personality rewrite, our little dorfies will tend to get more and more of personnal goals. More idle time means they'll be able to pursue them, which is good. All that narrative potential.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:25 pm »

I give them pants, I give them booze, and I keep the greenskins out.  What else do they want?!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 10:55:28 pm »

Paid vacations and dental.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:03 pm »

And am I the only person on this forum who feels an actual duty of care towards the ornery little sods and puts a lot of effort into making their lives not suck?

Dwarves are scum. They are born lazy, useless infants and if they're lucky they'll meet a quick, painless death and get buried in a meagre coffin alongside a thousand other dwarves rather than having to suffer the drudgery of old age.

Only by complete subservience to me are they capable of achieving anything with their brief, miserable existences. Only through utter loyalty and dedication are they given a chance to earn their place in history. But earn it they must, there will be no free rides in my empire.

I have not the energy to extend to them my pity, my affection. If they want love they ought to get a cat.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:37 pm »

I've installed a jail and assigned a hammerer.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 11:15:17 pm »

@KodKod: Most people wouldn't even let their dwarves have cats.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 11:23:20 pm »

The real question is... how is it going to be implemented?  Mass cleanup (d-b-?)? Automatically happen whenever items are lying around with enough room in a stockpile?  Dependent on some factor, like checking for items lying around in rooms (dining hall, dormitory, etc.)?  It's anyone's guess...

Hauling Jobs of liked items that can be stored in the same stockpile, within a certain steps between each other are probably going to group themselves into One larger hauling job, with sub jobs to collect the objects needed, probably arranged in a least distance from each item list.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 11:25:37 pm »

I've installed a jail and assigned a hammerer.
Urist admired a fine chain recently.
Urist sustained major injuries and loss of teeth recently.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 11:28:40 pm »

New dwarven health-care option.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10