Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1022 1023 [1024] 1025 1026 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3942908 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15345 on: July 25, 2013, 02:04:51 pm »

((I said accept the offer, not work on it!))
I assumed that accepting the offer to work on it meant working on it?

((Not in the least. Accepting is me saying, yeah, sure, I'll do it, letting him leave the stuff, and getting back to what I was doing.

Besides, he should still be conscious, I can't see his vacuum exposure time being more than 10 seconds.))

FINE. It didn't happen then. I'll ignore all actions dependent on it.

((Well, you won't have to worry about it now!))

((PW:  Shouldn't I be getting some pain meds from the MkII suit?))
Yeah, assume you are. Probably still a good idea not to go running.

((Can I assume I saw the helmet thing? Or are they elsewhere?))

If I saw Auron collapse, go get him to a pressurized area ASAP. If not, go get my rifle and goggles. Use non-lethal force to get the goggles if needed.
I'm not sure who took your goggles. And your rifle. I think it was Unholy, but I figure I should make sure before I have you club him over the back of the head.

dream delicious dreams of hitting simus upside the head with her own wrench, also wake up.
You're fine, nothing happened. Reality glitch.

((You're guys are forgetting that we have things like explosive depressurising, and that people have stays far longer than four minutes in vacuum before returning to robot body. And we've had that since the beginning. So I don't know how it is a surprise.))

"Well, it seems like it's better for you not to move anywhere for a while. And we certainly don't have a stretcher to even move you to a more comfortable place. Can you stand being left alone here for an extended period of time? Hopefully, the base will finish the repairs soon and will soon be ready to take care of you. Contact me if the situation worsens or you see anything anomalous. Good luck and sorry about having your ribs broken in such a stupid way.

Alright Denzel, here's the rundown. The purple fog you passed behind us was already explored by us as much as we could have explored it without venturing too deep. The Red and Yellow zone with something inside it, is inhabited by an extremely dangerous blob that rips apart anyone even stepping a foot on it's territory. We should aboid it at all costs. The sand storm you see to the other side of us, is how Lars got his ribs broken. It has an atmosphere, and we still haven't figured out anything about it, or took any samples from it. Beyond them, further West, are a Flint's drone and the other half of a shuttle that lay by the crystal lake. We're trying to figure out how to get there without dying. Any questions?

Let's leave Lars some supplies, and continue heading down that sand storm. Do you have anything against the idea of going first, Denzel? Being a robot and all."

Leave Lars some supplies and begin mapping the edges of he sandstorm, going SouthEast.

But not before tying a rope to Denzel, and sending him out into the storm!

"I have no issue going first. Also, now that we have rope, may I suggest taking asample? I can enter the storm more safely than you guys."

Lead the group in rock-throwing forward. If we decide to take a sample, have the others set up a safety line that's either tied down and/or braced by them (sans Lars, of course), and take a sample from the storm.
Vich and Denzel wander their way south eastward, following the edge of the static and the storm. It extends farther then they expected. Denzel manages to capture a sample of what appears to be dust from the storm.

"Right, Lukas, you need to head around to the other side of the door. Ask Simus to let you in or something. Then I'll direct you on where to push on the door. Make sure that you don't push too hard too fast, just slowly ramp it up until you start getting movement. Ok?"

Wait for Lukas to make his way around and then direct him in straightening out the door. Make sure he takes his time straightening it out!
Doing that is going to involve cutting holes in the wall. Thats the reason he can only get in through the garage entrance; he's too big for any of the others.

Lars sighs.  "I suppose I would be a detriment to the team.  I shall stay here and commune with the gods.  Fair well on your travels, and may the light of Steve ever watch over you."

He waves to the departing figures, then turns to his suit radio and broadcasts to all.  "Attention everyone, this is Brother Lars.  I am sending my location, and requesting medical evacuation.  I have broken some ribs and am unable to keep up with the rest of the group.  When someone has a moment, I request evacuation."

Send out my coordinates.  Read the next page of the Engineer's Pantheon.  (Lars had just read on Hal-mon.)
(I don't have much time, so reading later, ok?)

You broadcast your coordinates and wait from someone to come rescue you and the human paperweight. You expect you might be waiting for a while.

"Right, Lukas, you need to head around to the other side of the door. Ask Simus to let you in or something. Then I'll direct you on where to push on the door. Make sure that you don't push too hard too fast, just slowly ramp it up until you start getting movement. Ok?"

Wait for Lukas to make his way around and then direct him in straightening out the door. Make sure he takes his time straightening it out!

((I just want to check with PW real quick. Is Lukas not too large to enter through any other door but the garage's? Otherwise, do as Bishop says. :) ))

Yeah, it's because you're too big. I mean, you could have someone cut a hole in the main section of a base just to straighten the door, but that seems a bit counterproductive.

"So uh well I'll just be useful someplace"
Help people
You wanna go rescue Lars? Such a thing would require some walking and potentially dragging though.

Get some supplies, a couple of poles and rope and some sample containers (or just take my backpack that's already stocked with those if I can carry it).

Go to the motion anomalies in sector 3 and start looking through the different zones, looking for anything interesting (remember to throw an occasional rock to confirm that the boundaries and effects remain as we have marked them). Specifically,
-see what effect, if any, the Colossus' laser had on them

-look through the slow and stop ones, trying to see if I can see anything different in the area around me (since light moves slower in them)
-make sure to look at the sky through the slow and stop zones. The astrological data my camera records may be used by the Sword's scientist  to see where the planetoid was traveling in its past, or if the slow effect is slow enough, even see a glimpse of the space it was created in.

-If I can get a long enough rope for this, go near the horizontal movement "Flies off without falling" zone, tie some rope on a rock and then throw it towards the unexplored zone to determine what effect, if any, exists there, by watching how the rope reacts. (I'd have normally used a drone, but I don't want to waste them, so...)

((@PW: Could you please relink the base map with the broken stuff, since the old link seems to have stopped functioning because of the renaming?))

((About plankton: Oh, yeah. Some of them have armor, some of them transform, some of them have deadly poisons, some of them form colonies, some of them grow into enormous creatures, some of them have more impact on oxygen production than trees... It gets scary if you think about how little we know about what's in the deepest parts of our oceans and glaciers, how every day new species are discovered. And how much the ecosystem depends upon them.

If you're interested in biology/geology, "News from an Unknown Universe" by Frank Schatzing (same guy who wrote "The Swarm" (not the one with the killer bees, the one with the killer marine life)) is a pretty fun read.))

-The Colossus laser seems to have skimmed off the top of the fast zones, like butter on a skillet, and is still trapped in the slow zones.

-Looking through the slow and stop zones does, in fact, give you a radically different view of the sky compared to viewing it normally. In fact, through the slow zone you can see a nebula that is nowhere to be seen otherwise.

-I don't think you should be able to get hold of two miles of rope. Thats a lot of rope.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15346 on: July 25, 2013, 02:10:57 pm »

Go offload the MPV then take lars back to base.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:47:05 pm by Tavik Toth »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15347 on: July 25, 2013, 02:13:04 pm »

((Paris:  Nice call on the star examination.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15348 on: July 25, 2013, 02:15:57 pm »

((Also, Tavik. If you want to do something useful, you can offload the MPV and ride it over to Lars to take him back.
I've already sent you a wrist-pad message asking you to do that, and Lars requested help. So you're clear on that front.

Toaster: I am pretty sure that we had actions looking at the sky before, when we were mapping out the sector with Bishop. Piecewise just ignored them then, I think.))

"This is a bit long. So much for going around quickly. I say we keep following it. Nothing wrong with going a little outside the designated zone, and we'll be mapping the borders of our other zones anyway. Hmm. If it doesn't turn soon, we will have to get to that shuttle either by air or through the North, between the Black Domes and the Towers. Not sure I want to risk trying to pass through the caution area around the inky thing."

Continue following the dust storm. Also pay attention to the sectors to the other hand of us that we pass through.

Also, why would I leave the paperwight behind? She can be a pack mule, if nothing else. SHE CAME WITH ME.

Edit: And if Denzel keeps hanging back behind me, have Zephyris go ahead of me to feel the way.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:08:40 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15349 on: July 25, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »

((Totally cool with the paperweight going with Vich.

Also you're going to exit reality if you leave the designated zone, just FYI))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15350 on: July 25, 2013, 03:30:24 pm »

((I think Jack took my stuff.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15351 on: July 25, 2013, 03:36:31 pm »

Reseal the lab umbilical wall, then take the cabling I left in there and hook it up to where the old comms array linked to the bases' computers.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15352 on: July 25, 2013, 04:48:17 pm »

((I'm sure it was someone else.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15353 on: July 25, 2013, 04:49:56 pm »

assist simus with her wirk from the software side of things.

I'm not sure who took your goggles. And your
rifle. I think it was Unholy, but I figure I should
make sure before I have you club him over the
back of the head.
I took both but i gave the goggles to miyamoto.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15354 on: July 25, 2013, 04:56:26 pm »

"Eh, don't you think we should finish exploring the rest of our designated area first?"

Follow far behind Vich as we lead outside the designated area, stopping if anything happens to him. If we don't go outside the designated area, take a look around to see where to go next.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15355 on: July 25, 2013, 05:07:12 pm »

"I think I want to know where this dust storm ends. Don't worry, I don't plan to follow it for more than one turn. We probably won't be circling it around, with how much bigger it can potentially be. Anyway, the Dust Storm pretty much borders the designated area. It's not like I am venturing out into a complete unknown.

Hey, and why are you staying so far behind me? Does designated area really feel so much safer that I will cause an apocalypse as soon as I set my foot outside it?"

Action Edited
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15356 on: July 25, 2013, 06:48:29 pm »

Ooooohhh... Preety.... thought Flint as he looked at this alien sky, mesmerized.
This reminds me of the preety lights in sector 2. Need to take some samples from there too. But for that, I'll need my exosuit. And for that I'll need someone to help me.

"Need someone with mechanical skills here!"
((Anyone with handiwork skills willing to help me?))

Go back to base and get a dynamic bonus to fixing my exosuit. Ask anyone willing to help with repairs to come. Ask Blackeyed Anton for advice or even allow him to see through my cameras and guide me through the process. It's not like he can do much while waiting for mesk to figure out a solution to his missing leg problem...

((Notes updated))
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:28:03 pm by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15357 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:43 pm »

((I'll help out once I'm done with all of the antenna stuff, Auron can wait because yours is a fix job, not an upgrade job.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15358 on: July 25, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »

((I'll help out once I'm done with all of the antenna stuff, Auron can wait because yours is a fix job, not an upgrade job.))
((Oh, thank you. I just need it to get some samples. I'm gonna go near zone 2, dig the ground with the mining laser (perhaps the first time I'm using it for its intended purpose) and cut off a sample of flatground so that the Sword scientists can build some kind of ultra strong armor or something. But to carry the laser I need robostrength, and I can't borrow Gilgamesh without permission from the boss.
And I like that exosuit. That too.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15359 on: July 25, 2013, 09:23:12 pm »

((Ah, well in that case...))

Go ask for my rifle back from Auron, and my goggles from Miyamoto. If they refuse, engage super stealth mode, and steal my stuff back.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 1022 1023 [1024] 1025 1026 ... 1256