Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1020 1021 [1022] 1023 1024 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3941986 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15315 on: July 24, 2013, 02:29:48 pm »

((I said accept the offer, not work on it!))
I assumed that accepting the offer to work on it meant working on it?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15316 on: July 24, 2013, 02:32:41 pm »

((I said accept the offer, not work on it!))
I assumed that accepting the offer to work on it meant working on it?

((Not in the least. Accepting is me saying, yeah, sure, I'll do it, letting him leave the stuff, and getting back to what I was doing.

Besides, he should still be conscious, I can't see his vacuum exposure time being more than 10 seconds.))
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:42:10 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15317 on: July 24, 2013, 02:36:32 pm »

((Well, you won't have to worry about it now!))

((PW:  Shouldn't I be getting some pain meds from the MkII suit?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15318 on: July 24, 2013, 03:40:11 pm »

((If my memory serves me well, even after collapsing from vacuum exposure, you should recover fairly fast. Might require some CPR if it's been long enough. But as long as oxygen deprivation lasts less than 15 minutes you should recover with little to no injury.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15319 on: July 24, 2013, 03:46:37 pm »

((If my memory serves me well, even after collapsing from vacuum exposure, you should recover fairly fast. Might require some CPR if it's been long enough. But as long as oxygen deprivation lasts less than 15 minutes you should recover with little to no injury.))

((10-15 seconds before you're unconscious, 90 before you're dead for sure. CPR is for heart stoppage, not vacuum exposure-caused anoxia, and where the hell did you pull that 15 minute figure from? Brain damage from cerebral anoxia starts at 4 minutes, but it's not the only thing at work during vacuum exposure, hence the lower time limit.))
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:53:34 pm by PyroDesu »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15320 on: July 24, 2013, 04:01:39 pm »

((Can I assume I saw the helmet thing? Or are they elsewhere?))

If I saw Auron collapse, go get him to a pressurized area ASAP. If not, go get my rifle and goggles. Use non-lethal force to get the goggles if needed.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15321 on: July 24, 2013, 04:11:32 pm »

((10-15 seconds before you're unconscious, 90 before you're dead for sure. CPR is for heart stoppage, not vacuum exposure-caused anoxia, and where the hell did you pull that 15 minute figure from? Brain damage from cerebral anoxia starts at 4 minutes, but it's not the only thing at work during vacuum exposure, hence the lower time limit.))
((I dunno. Like I said, I'm going from memory here, so maybe I'm confusing it with something else. And I can't check it 'cause I'm writing from my crappy phone. I'll see if I can find where I read it when I gethome.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15322 on: July 24, 2013, 05:42:36 pm »

dream delicious dreams of hitting simus upside the head with her own wrench, also wake up.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15323 on: July 24, 2013, 08:06:39 pm »

((You're guys are forgetting that we have things like explosive depressurising, and that people have stays far longer than four minutes in vacuum before returning to robot body. And we've had that since the beginning. So I don't know how it is a surprise.))

"Well, it seems like it's better for you not to move anywhere for a while. And we certainly don't have a stretcher to even move you to a more comfortable place. Can you stand being left alone here for an extended period of time? Hopefully, the base will finish the repairs soon and will soon be ready to take care of you. Contact me if the situation worsens or you see anything anomalous. Good luck and sorry about having your ribs broken in such a stupid way.

Alright Denzel, here's the rundown. The purple fog you passed behind us was already explored by us as much as we could have explored it without venturing too deep. The Red and Yellow zone with something inside it, is inhabited by an extremely dangerous blob that rips apart anyone even stepping a foot on it's territory. We should aboid it at all costs. The sand storm you see to the other side of us, is how Lars got his ribs broken. It has an atmosphere, and we still haven't figured out anything about it, or took any samples from it. Beyond them, further West, are a Flint's drone and the other half of a shuttle that lay by the crystal lake. We're trying to figure out how to get there without dying. Any questions?

Let's leave Lars some supplies, and continue heading down that sand storm. Do you have anything against the idea of going first, Denzel? Being a robot and all."

Leave Lars some supplies and begin mapping the edges of he sandstorm, going SouthEast.

But not before tying a rope to Denzel, and sending him out into the storm!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:27:40 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15324 on: July 24, 2013, 08:14:51 pm »

((You're guys are forgetting that we have things like explosive depressurising, and that people have stays far longer than four minutes in vacuum before returning to robot body. And we've had that since the beginning. So I don't know how it is a surprise.))

((That's because the Sword has facilities that can effectively bring someone back from the dead. They're still dead beforehand, and we don't really have the facilities here to preserve the brain to be revived. In all cases of vacuum exposure before this, it's either been to short for permanent damage or the environment has been enough to keep the brain preserved long enough to get it back to the Sword. We have the former in this situation (which shouldn't be happening anyways, between my lack of action towards actually working on Auron's project and UP's action saying that he leaves when I accept to wait in life support), but we sure as heck don't have the latter (factor of time, the environment might be fine for short-term, but we have at least a few months left here).

And it's four minutes for most cerebral anoxia before brain damage sets in, but it's only 90 seconds for vacuum exposure before death is guaranteed.))
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:16:31 pm by PyroDesu »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15325 on: July 24, 2013, 08:19:28 pm »

((First mission Jim. Stayed that way for hours before being revived. No atmosphere. No brain damage.

Also, I don't remember us having a single time when a non-sealing flesh has been explosed for vacuum for a short period of time, and the person didn't immediately die.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15326 on: July 24, 2013, 08:28:54 pm »

The difference between me and jim is that jim still had his helmet to prevent the air being sucked out of his lungs and was taken back to the sword, i have neither advantage hence i only have 90 seconds and whatever you guys can think of to help me
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15327 on: July 24, 2013, 08:30:35 pm »

((Ha! I knew I had read it somewhere! Sure, it's not exactly the same thing I said, but it's close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_death#Limits_of_reversal

Quote from: Wikipedia, the all knowing encyclopedia
The brain, however, appears to accumulate ischemic injury faster than any other organ. Without special treatment after circulation is restarted, full recovery of the brain after more than 3 minutes of clinical death at normal body temperature is rare. Usually brain damage or later brain death results after longer intervals of clinical death even if the heart is restarted and blood circulation is successfully restored. Brain injury is therefore the limiting factor for recovery from clinical death.

Although loss of function is almost immediate, there is no specific duration of clinical death at which the non-functioning brain clearly dies. The most vulnerable cells in the brain, CA1 neurons of the hippocampus, are fatally injured by as little as 10 minutes without oxygen. However, the injured cells do not actually die until hours after resuscitation. This delayed death can be prevented in vitro by a simple drug treatment even after 20 minutes without oxygen.
Brain failure after clinical death is now known to be due to a complex series of processes called reperfusion injury that occur after blood circulation has been restored, especially processes that interfere with blood circulation during the recovery period. Control of these processes is the subject of ongoing research.

In 1990, the laboratory of resuscitation pioneer Peter Safar discovered that reducing body temperature by three degrees Celsius after restarting blood circulation could double the time window of recovery from clinical death without brain damage from 5 minutes to 10 minutes. This induced hypothermia technique is beginning to be used in emergency medicine. The combination of mildly reducing body temperature, reducing blood cell concentration, and increasing blood pressure after resuscitation was found to be especially effective; allowing for recovery of dogs after 12 minutes of clinical death at normal body temperature with practically no brain injury. The addition of a drug treatment protocol has been reported to allow recovery of dogs after 16 minutes of clinical death at normal body temperature with no lasting brain injury. Cooling treatment alone has permitted recovery after 17 minutes of clinical death at normal temperature, but with brain injury.

Under laboratory conditions at normal body temperature, the longest period of clinical death of a cat (after complete circulatory arrest) survived with eventual return of brain function is one hour.

So it's just a matter of giving him the right treatment. Since this is the future and all. A competent medic could do it. Us on the other hand... Let's hope Mesk and Pathmas is in a good mood...))
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:40:11 pm by Parisbre56 »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15328 on: July 24, 2013, 08:31:12 pm »

The difference between me and jim is that jim still had his helmet to prevent the air being sucked out of his lungs and was taken back to the sword, i have neither advantage hence i only have 90 seconds and whatever you guys can think of to help me

(...Jim didn't HAVE any lungs to lose air from, after a certain point in that mission... >.>)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15329 on: July 24, 2013, 08:42:59 pm »

Right you got cut through the torso not the gut... still... magical space medicine was available when you got back.

Pages: 1 ... 1020 1021 [1022] 1023 1024 ... 1256