Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3941960 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15330 on: July 24, 2013, 08:50:18 pm »

((Besides, he was dead for hours. If Auron was to die (should no happen at all, from the description he wouldn't even be unconscious), he would have to wait a few months. Big difference.

And Paris, that's just for brain damage in normal conditions. Really, brain damage shouldn't be an issue here (though I'll admit I was somewhat wrong about my 4 minute figure for normal conditions), it's the rest of the damage. Here's a quote from a NASA source:

Quote from: Bioastronautics Data Book, Second edition, NASA SP-3006
"Some degree of consciousness will probably be retained for 9 to 11 seconds (see chapter 2 under Hypoxia). In rapid sequence thereafter, paralysis will be followed by generalized convulsions and paralysis once again. During this time, water vapor will form rapidly in the soft tissues and somewhat less rapidly in the venous blood. This evolution of water vapor will cause marked swelling of the body to perhaps twice its normal volume unless it is restrained by a pressure suit. (It has been demonstrated that a properly fitted elastic garment can entirely prevent ebullism at pressures as low as 15 mm Hg absolute [Webb, 1969, 1970].) Heart rate may rise initially, but will fall rapidly thereafter. Arterial blood pressure will also fall over a period of 30 to 60 seconds, while venous pressure rises due to distention of the venous system by gas and vapor. Venous pressure will meet or exceed arterial pressure within one minute. There will be virtually no effective circulation of blood. After an initial rush of gas from the lungs during decompression, gas and water vapor will continue to flow outward through the airways. This continual evaporation of water will cool the mouth and nose to near-freezing temperatures; the remainder of the body will also become cooled, but more slowly.

"Cook and Bancroft (1966) reported occasional deaths of animals due to fibrillation of the heart during the first minute of exposure to near vacuum conditions. Ordinarily, however, survival was the rule if recompression occurred within about 90 seconds. ... Once heart action ceased, death was inevitable, despite attempts at resuscitation....

[on recompression] "Breathing usually began spontaneously... Neurological problems, including blindness and other defects in vision, were common after exposures (see problems due to evolved gas), but usually disappeared fairly rapidly.

"It is very unlikely that a human suddenly exposed to a vacuum would have more than 5 to 10 seconds to help himself. If immediate help is at hand, although one's appearance and condition will be grave, it is reasonable to assume that recompression to a tolerable pressure (200 mm Hg, 3.8 psia) within 60 to 90 seconds could result in survival, and possibly in rather rapid recovery."

This might be the future, but the damage (not just the brain, the entire body) from too long of an exposure to vacuum will kill you. Whether or not the brain degrades too much for our future revival techniques really depends on environment. Mesk has not the resources to revive him were he to die, even if the brain did not degrade.

But really, why must this be needed?
The difference between me and jim is that jim still had his helmet to prevent the air being sucked out of his lungs and was taken back to the sword, i have neither advantage hence i only have 90 seconds and whatever you guys can think of to help me

After all, PW said that I got the helmet back on and sealed, so Auron is no longer being exposed to vacuum, as I'm fairly sure that once the suit is resealed, the onboard life support systems should repressurize it (they actually should have been trying to the entire time, but until it was sealed, it was ineffective).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:53:04 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15331 on: July 24, 2013, 08:52:37 pm »

Also, I don't remember us having a single time when a non-sealing flesh has been explosed for vacuum for a short period of time, and the person didn't immediately die.))
((This was the important part. I'm not arguing with anyone scientifically. It's just that this is the way this game has been running.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15332 on: July 24, 2013, 09:02:07 pm »

"Right, Lukas, you need to head around to the other side of the door. Ask Simus to let you in or something. Then I'll direct you on where to push on the door. Make sure that you don't push too hard too fast, just slowly ramp it up until you start getting movement. Ok?"

Wait for Lukas to make his way around and then direct him in straightening out the door. Make sure he takes his time straightening it out!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15333 on: July 24, 2013, 09:06:25 pm »

((And may I ask how this damage occurs? You've got icing in the exterior of the body (lungs, throat, etc) that can be treated, you've got air bubbles that can probably be treated (don't know what equipment we have here), as long as this guy didn't hold his breath or have a large amount of gasses in him nothing should have exploded, heart function should have stopped within 1 minute of exposure so the guy shouldn't be suffering from severe damage to organs due to reperfusion injury... I'm no biologist/medic, but I think that the damage is reversible.

Besides, the data you're quoting are 40 years old. I think we have better resuscitation techniques by now. Let's see if I can find better data...))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15334 on: July 24, 2013, 09:08:12 pm »

Lars sighs.  "I suppose I would be a detriment to the team.  I shall stay here and commune with the gods.  Fair well on your travels, and may the light of Steve ever watch over you."

He waves to the departing figures, then turns to his suit radio and broadcasts to all.  "Attention everyone, this is Brother Lars.  I am sending my location, and requesting medical evacuation.  I have broken some ribs and am unable to keep up with the rest of the group.  When someone has a moment, I request evacuation."

Send out my coordinates.  Read the next page of the Engineer's Pantheon.  (Lars had just read on Hal-mon.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15335 on: July 24, 2013, 09:08:41 pm »

"I have no issue going first. Also, now that we have rope, may I suggest taking asample? I can enter the storm more safely than you guys."

Lead the group in rock-throwing forward. If we decide to take a sample, have the others set up a safety line that's either tied down and/or braced by them (sans Lars, of course), and take a sample from the storm.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15336 on: July 24, 2013, 09:13:04 pm »

((40 years old, yes, but I'll believe it discredited when I see contradicting studies.

Also, do tell how you can treat "Arterial blood pressure will also fall over a period of 30 to 60 seconds, while venous pressure rises due to distention of the venous system by gas and vapor. Venous pressure will meet or exceed arterial pressure within one minute. There will be virtually no effective circulation of blood."

It's not really the heart stopping that stops the circulation; it's the reverse because of the pressure differential. Venous pressure exceeding Arterial pressure is very, very bad, and gas bubbles forming in the blood even worse.))
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:16:20 pm by PyroDesu »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15337 on: July 24, 2013, 09:29:02 pm »

"Sure, I like your attitude. Let's do that right now, then."

Action Edited
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15338 on: July 24, 2013, 09:50:18 pm »

((Gas bubbles are treatable unless they form or make their way somewhere important. And if we are breathing pure oxygen it's even less of an issue. About the other thing with the pressure, I don't know why that's bad. As long as the pressure isn't high enough to cause a stroke or some other form of internal bleeding, you should be fine. Again, that's what I think with my limited medical knowledge.

And it looks like people didn't do much research to vacuum exposure after the 60's-70's, at least none that I could find publicly available. Found a more recent one but it required me to pay 40$. Who charges people for papers?

Well, I'm no doctor and I have no papers to support my position, so I'll concede that you're right.))

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15339 on: July 25, 2013, 02:39:46 am »

"Right, Lukas, you need to head around to the other side of the door. Ask Simus to let you in or something. Then I'll direct you on where to push on the door. Make sure that you don't push too hard too fast, just slowly ramp it up until you start getting movement. Ok?"

Wait for Lukas to make his way around and then direct him in straightening out the door. Make sure he takes his time straightening it out!

((I just want to check with PW real quick. Is Lukas not too large to enter through any other door but the garage's? Otherwise, do as Bishop says. :) ))

You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15340 on: July 25, 2013, 02:54:04 am »

Bring Auron into the Barracks' makeshift medical ward, leave him under the care of Mesk, for better or worse. Then head back to the lab umbilical and seal the hole I cut for the antenna.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #15341 on: July 25, 2013, 05:29:15 am »

"So uh well I'll just be useful someplace"
Help people
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15342 on: July 25, 2013, 10:39:57 am »

Get some supplies, a couple of poles and rope and some sample containers (or just take my backpack that's already stocked with those if I can carry it).

Go to the motion anomalies in sector 3 and start looking through the different zones, looking for anything interesting (remember to throw an occasional rock to confirm that the boundaries and effects remain as we have marked them). Specifically,
-see what effect, if any, the Colossus' laser had on them

-look through the slow and stop ones, trying to see if I can see anything different in the area around me (since light moves slower in them)
-make sure to look at the sky through the slow and stop zones. The astrological data my camera records may be used by the Sword's scientist  to see where the planetoid was traveling in its past, or if the slow effect is slow enough, even see a glimpse of the space it was created in.

-If I can get a long enough rope for this, go near the horizontal movement "Flies off without falling" zone, tie some rope on a rock and then throw it towards the unexplored zone to determine what effect, if any, exists there, by watching how the rope reacts. (I'd have normally used a drone, but I don't want to waste them, so...)

((@PW: Could you please relink the base map with the broken stuff, since the old link seems to have stopped functioning because of the renaming?))

((About plankton: Oh, yeah. Some of them have armor, some of them transform, some of them have deadly poisons, some of them form colonies, some of them grow into enormous creatures, some of them have more impact on oxygen production than trees... It gets scary if you think about how little we know about what's in the deepest parts of our oceans and glaciers, how every day new species are discovered. And how much the ecosystem depends upon them.

If you're interested in biology/geology, "News from an Unknown Universe" by Frank Schatzing (same guy who wrote "The Swarm" (not the one with the killer bees, the one with the killer marine life)) is a pretty fun read.))
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:31:55 pm by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15343 on: July 25, 2013, 10:57:19 am »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15344 on: July 25, 2013, 10:58:46 am »

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks.

By the way, the notes are updated now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:32:59 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 1256