Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3940340 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15255 on: July 20, 2013, 02:26:37 pm »

continue helping bishop.

"Hey Bishop, what are your thoughts on the current situation?"
You slide up to bishop's side and waggle your eyebrows.

"Need some help here? Whatcha up to? I'm desperately attempting to find something that I can expend my boundless, unfocused energy upon. Please help me."

((In this and other sections, Vich is mostly rambling as he is thinking what to do. I usually try to make things clearer in the bolded section, where we can assume he's finally made up his mind.))

"West, unfortunately, same as those Domes. Well, I'm actually not entirely sure how we're going to explore this. I suppose we could theoretically approach it and catch some samples of the sand that's blowing. On the other hand we know nothing of it's properties, and high speed sand is usually more dangerous than fog. And I have a less rosy perception of this planetoid after what happened with that inky thing. If you wanna do it Lars, I'm all for it.

We could also just push through the sand storm, but I wouldn't want us to get lost, with no signal to base. Hmm... Maybe it and the Black Domes are completely separate despite them being in the same direction. It's also encouraging that some signal is getting through despite the static. Ideally, we'd just fly over it, but I suppose not with things are. Now, South or North? Hm. South would be better I suppose."

Does the dust storm appear to be moving in any way? Can I see how high it is?

If Lars decides to take the risk and get a sample of the dust storm, let him. In that case, wait for him before moving on.

After that, or if he decides not to, begin mapping the storm and the static to the SouthEast of us. If the direction of the border is no longer SouthEast, we obviously turn with it.

The dust seems to be blowing southward, but is staying in the same position in terms of West and east. It's turning, but it's also staying still.

Your plans for further exploration are put on hold when Lars decides to try and capture a sample of the dust storm and runs off into. He gets about halfway there before he gets blown over and starts rolling like a tumble weed.
Lars raises his arms.  "With Algis to shield me and the light of Steve to guide me, I shall be save.  May I ever be in the favor of Pathmas."

Go get a dust storm sample.  Abort if things get dangerous.  Keep checking back to make sure I can still see Vich.

[str:1+1]
You make it about half way to the wall of dust; arm outstretched with a sample container in your hand. Then a particularly strong gust of wind- or maybe just a rather sudden change from vacuum to atmosphere- sends you tumbling and rolling away.

Check if there is any radiation near the orange goo river. Compare to radiation readings near the base and the ones I observed in sector 15. ((I was rereading that section while updating my notes and noticed that there was radiation in sector 15 (the orange lake). Was that ambient radiation due to lack of atmosphere/magnetic field or was it somehow related to the orange goo or maybe the towers.))

Deposit my samples back to the vault back at the base. Encourage everybody else with samples to do the same. List of samples in vault please?

Take my goo sack and my black tower shards (both from sector 15 and sector 18) and put them under the microscope, looking for anything that stands out, any traces of life or movement and any similarities.
((Time to test my hypothesis that the indigo sea is actually a giant single celled organism.))

The area around the goo does register small amounts of radiation above natural background, but nothing dangerous.

You head back to the lab. (Here's a minor problem. It seems like my list of the samples turned in is incomplete. As in it didn't save some of them. So guys, if you turned things in that aren't on this list, let me know what they are. And Flint,Tell me specifically what you're turning in too.)

You put the gel under the microscope. It appears to be a very thick soup of microorganisms. Most most of them seem to have died off and none seem to be attracted to the black tower material. The "sack" appears to be made of some sort of organic substance, but nonliving; possibly a membrane created by the organisms. The black tower material is somewhat similar to graphite in appearance, but seems to be built in horizontal, rather then vertical layers; thin strips laid one atop another.

"Goddamn this is hard. Little help? Any robot overlords want to help a little minion here?"

Shove rocks into holes, get buff doing it.
[str:3]
You manage to get one more rock into the hole and the collapse, exhausted.

"Stop....the rock....can't stop....the rock..."

"What I think? I think we've been royally screwed over by that damn crystal."

Begin construction of the new wall, carefully referring to the plans if needed and taking the time to do it right. Make sure to put up the supports first and have Lukas help with heavy lifting!
[handi:3+1+1]

Construction of the first half of the new garage wall goes quite well. You use Lukas as a variety of heavy equipment; flattening metal, holding things together as you weld them, lowering sections into place. Jack isn't good at handiwork, nor is he strong enough to be a human crane; but he can get you the tools you ask for and keep you entertained with countless renditions of popular songs played on the mouth harp. Overall, you three make a good team.

"Well, you have a robot helper handy, at least. I wouldn't call myself an overlord. Unless we robots do rule over you people with flesh-and-blood bodies, in which case I supposs I would be one."

Help fill the crater with rocks.
You clank your robot way out to the boulder fields and find Morul laying face down.

"Howdy. Heard you need help with something?"

His arm jerks out and points toward a large boulder.

"Yeah...?"

It jerks back and points at the crater.

"Put them in there?"

Thumbs up.

"Oh. Okay."

The arm thuds to the ground and stays there. You shrug and start rolling boulders. You're not strong enough for the big ones either, but at least you can roll the smaller ones without getting tired.

The crater is half filled.

"Ugh... bloodloss getting to me again... say, Mesk, did any hypothetical blood-restoration pill survive the ordeal at the infirmary? I could use one if it exists."

Put the pad away and just study the structure of the prosthetics, how they attach, and how they function. Try to brainstorm a solution. ((Calling Int roll.))
[int:2]
Your brain plays the mentos song for 5 straight minutes and then burps.

"What I think? I think we've been royally screwed over by that damn crystal."

Begin construction of the new wall, carefully referring to the plans if needed and taking the time to do it right. Make sure to put up the supports first and have Lukas help with heavy lifting!

Help Bishop with heavy lifting
Well, if nothing else, you'd have an easy life as a piece of sentient construction equipment.

Attempt once more, without miscoordination slipping me up (literally).
[handi:6+1]

You bang out an antenna that could broadcast a mouse fart to the ends of the known universe. It's perfect.

Only problem is that it's larger then the door you need to get it through to get it back outside...

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15256 on: July 20, 2013, 02:29:23 pm »

"Is that all?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15257 on: July 20, 2013, 03:25:40 pm »

Hmm... That's interesting. Symbiotes? A colony? Multi-specied organism? I wonder what they eat...

Let's try giving some food to the blobs. See if it gets better then. Give one of them some of the food from the fridge and the other a rock like the one the rock lice were eating. Let both of them on the sack first. If nothing happens after a while, push them further in, but do not break the sack.

Also, I had some drones (along with other crap) in my exosuit's backpack, did any of those survive?

I'm depositing 2 gel-sea goo-sacks (one of them has a black tower sample in it and is marked for size changes), black tower samples from sector 18 and 15, black dome air samples from sector 16, ground and air samples from the dry lakebed on sector 15 and ground samples from where the giant laser-firing glass-tower thing left holes on the ground from walking with its spike-legs and some molten ground I got after the thing vaporized itself.
Did I get any of the air samples I requested from the orange goo before it got free? If so, I'm depositing them there too.

Also, here's what I have in the vaults in my work-in-progress notes, including what I'm depositing now:

Spoiler: Lab (click to show/hide)

((Some people (Miyamoto?) also caught some bugs and bug skeletons in sector 19 but I don't think they deposited them. Bishop has a sample of liquid crystal from sector 16. There is a large blueraditite near the zone 1-6 boundary. Vich has a pink tree sample and pink mist sample. And these are all the samples I have noted. Tell me if I'm forgetting anything.))
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:24:02 am by Parisbre56 »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15258 on: July 20, 2013, 05:07:23 pm »

More boulders.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15259 on: July 20, 2013, 07:54:29 pm »

awaken from real life induced coma.
fix program, paint yellow stripes on gilgamesh in cool angular patterns.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15260 on: July 20, 2013, 09:42:02 pm »

((Lars caught a mostly-eaten-and-broken black tower beetle shell, and probably some dirt from other sectors, but I think that's about it.  Also, trying to get a dust sample but failures.  At least my 1/3 str bonus saved me from seriouser failure.))

Lars bounced and rolled.  "Algis ow save oof me!  Steve, may your dammit light shine shit on me!  Ow!"

Get control of self.  Orient to Vich.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15261 on: July 20, 2013, 09:58:47 pm »

((I have a lot of samples from right now, but other than that, Flint seemed intent on always posting an action first, and going on a sample frenzy. I think I've got the salt crystal samples from where the shuttle-half lay. (not the underground ones, Flint+Bishop got those.) I think I've also got the air sample from where the Colossus lake was, before I disturbed it.

Also, did I miss somewhere the peanuts from the Black Towers, and the beetle that was caught there? Maybe the beetle evaporated with the shuttle, but the peanuts that Flint wanted to eat should remain.

By the way, does camera footage make any difference in tokens? Because I remember making sure that all the different anomalies we saw were captured on drones/cameras.
))

"Third.. I mean, B, negative. Or so I remember. Though if you're thinking of transfusions, I think I'd rather walk or sleep it off."
((I really like how you're managing to consistently sneak in these cultural tidbits. Keep up the good work.))

"Lars, what the bloody hell happened? You haven't even reached the storms yet!"

Which direction is Lars rolling? To the storms, to the sides, etc?
How fast is he rolling?

Hurry up with my Syndrome afflicted friend to where the Lars is. If he's rolling to the side of the storms, also run to the side to keep up with him. Try not to cross the invisible boundary yet, by keeping a fair distance away from it.

By the way, and I think it's important, would Lars have been caught like this if he was using the pole/rocks to feel his way forward? Because I think that at this point we can pretty much assume that we are always doing it, whenever exploring unknown territory.
On the same page, would it have affected the inky thing almost-disaster?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:41:39 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15262 on: July 20, 2013, 11:06:14 pm »

Bishop turned to look at his biological 'help'.

"Does it look like we're done? There's still a big ass hole in the wall, so I'd say no."

Continue working on the wall like last time. Take extra care to not have anyone stand under any of the bits that are going up higher on the wall incase they fall.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15263 on: July 21, 2013, 12:01:06 am »

Continue filling up the crater, breaking rocks down if needed. Then, head north to the white domes area, via route of the slow-zone passthrough.

((Isn't there a clear-ish path to the white domes with a possible cave system area? I seem to have lost the map link. We do have the map available, right?))
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:36:41 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #15264 on: July 21, 2013, 12:51:12 am »

Do repair stuff.  Suddenly wonder about the whereabouts of my pet hand.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15265 on: July 21, 2013, 05:14:43 am »

Here's the map:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh90p3e3idlbo0h/overall%20map.png

You should be able to go through the slow line in sone 3 without much trouble, as Flint has demonstrated.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:16:15 am by Parisbre56 »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15266 on: July 21, 2013, 06:38:51 am »

Continue helping bishop.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15267 on: July 21, 2013, 07:14:35 am »

"Uuuhhhoookay. It's official, my head isn't working right now. I'm going to lie down and try to focus. Mesk, do me a favor and don't do anything with those replacements until we've got a working one. I'd rather have no leg than have one I can't properly use. Although I should probably do something about the suit..."

See if there are any materials on hand that could be used to seal up the MkI in its current condition, and try applying them if there are. Get Mesk to help. Then lie down and keep recovering lost blood until my head is clearer.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15268 on: July 21, 2013, 10:35:51 am »

Action edited.

((Thanks for the link.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15269 on: July 21, 2013, 10:52:39 pm »

"If you're really pressed for supplies, I'm O-, which is the universal donor I believe. I'd rather you not stick me with a needle unless you had to though."
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1256