Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3944814 times)

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15075 on: July 09, 2013, 09:15:39 am »

((I would think that the missing wall would be pretty obvious...))

((Haha, it seems that I have to admit that I don't read all posts anymore. :) ))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15076 on: July 09, 2013, 12:26:40 pm »

((I would think that the missing wall would be pretty obvious...))

((Haha, it seems that I have to admit that I don't read all posts anymore. :) ))
((On that note, perhaps I should point out then the fact that Anton is currently inside Gilgamesh. Which is both the reason why he's missing a leg, and the reason why he's still alive despite that.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15077 on: July 09, 2013, 01:40:31 pm »

((Does it mean we can access the map now?))

"Well, this thing would have been interesting to explore in a shuttle."

Does the fog mess in any way with radio signals? Did sending a drone help us out with finding that out in any way?
Also, does it mess with sound? Does the sound exists in the mist? Attempt to figure out by throwing rocks and having a drone fly back and forth.

Also, is it possible to command a drone land on the ground in the thicker but passable part of the fog, and then lift off to see if walking there is dangerous and also give us some information about the ground?

To Below: ((Oooh, thanks. I keep forgetting that sound is absent for the majority of the planetoid.))

(Yes and no. It's back up at the base, but the base can't transmit it because their arrays were melted. You'll have to have someone at the base download it and send it through their suits. Or fix the array.)

The fog does mess with radio to a very slight degree, from what you can tell, but nothing that would render radio inoperable in it. There doesn't seem to be sound in the mist, but there is an odd effect that comes to light as you test for it. The fog ripples and undulates as a whole; when you throw a rock in you can see a tiny ripple emanate out from where it entered. The movement of the drone causes larger ripples.

It's possible to command the drone like that, but it would involve an aux roll.

((Of course the morgue is fine, but the rest of the infirmary is torn apart. Of course. That being said, at least we can still preserve brains. And we have the surgery and recovery area relatively intact, so that's nice.))

"You guys want to start salvaging what's left in the infirmary and moving it into the intact rooms?"

Gather and organize the scattered gear/meds/etc. for easy inventory and transport, and take inventory of what robotic prosthetics we have left.
Inventory wise, there are plenty of drugs and standard surgical supplies left, but in terms of Prosthetic: two complete left legs, one right leg from knee down, a right arm. Two torsos both male. Three left hands. A case of eyeballs. One gastric system. One lung and one heart.Also a scattering of the required tools and hardware, like nerve nodes and attachment braces.

"Bad news, the armoury is officially out of commission and the doors to the garage and what's left of the armoury are damaged and not opening. Good news, we don't need a fucking armoury in the first place and the garage door is just bent out of shape and should still work if we can bend it back into shape somehow.

I'm thinking that we can completely seal off the armoury passage for good, salvage what's left of the walls and the umbilical leading to it and use those materials to patch up where needed, specifically the lab, some of medical and replacing and sealing the right wall of the garage if possible. It's gonna take some work, but with Lukas and Gilgamesh, we've got the robotic muscle needed for heavy lifting and bending metal into shape, and there should still hopefully be some tools and stuff in the garage we can use.

Lukas, I need you to help bend the garage door back into shape for me and get it as back to normal as you can get it without using tools. It doesn't need to look pretty, it just has to work without damaging the mechanisms.

Michael, I need you to make a complete damage report for me on all the rooms in the base. Make sure not to miss any breaches in the umbilicals either. Once you're done with that, you can help me collect salvage in the garage.

Anyone who's not doing anything, I need you to pile any scrap that you can find outside in neat piles for me to look through later, or to try to fill in that crater a bit while the ground is still molten and soft, at least to try to make the slopes easier to walk on. And don't put the piles anywhere near the damn crater, cause we don't need to climb in and out of the damn thing just to get what we want."

Bishop sighs and bumps his helmet against the wall for a few moments in frustration before straightening.

"I'm going to see what can be salvaged in the garage. Let me know your progress every 2 hours or so. Now get moving. The sooner we get to work, the sooner we can get back to living somewhat comfortably again."

Head around outside into the garage and begin salvaging tools and supplies, then make a list of what vehicles could still work. Make sure the fuel storage tanks aren't leaking first!

You rocket your way into the garage and look around, slowly sorting through whats left and marking it off.

Two of the three minishuttles are completely smashed, totaled. The third is surprisingly intact. Practically unscathed.

Only 2 of the rocket bikes made it through; with a third being badly damaged and the fourth reduced to scrap.

One of fuel tanks for the shuttles has a large piece of shrapnel in it and is slowly leaking.

The normal sized shuttle is just fucking gone, vaporized, apparently.  The box of  drones is similarly just gone.

In terms of tools, the vast surplus you had has shrunk to just a normal surplus.

"Yes sir."

Head to where the armory used to be on the outside, and examine damage. Pick up any scraps I can carry and put them in front of the garage.

The armory is...well it's fucked. One of the blast shields that the base deployed tore itself free and bisected the armory, embedding itself in the building and literally chopping it in half, and crushing it in like a tin can under a bike tire.

"Armory is Fucked. I repeat, Armory is fucked."

"Goddamn mud."

Find way to base without getting stuck.
Best way is just to wait a while as it hardens up again. That or go on foot.

((Actually, I wasn't so interested in saving Simus, I was more interested in killing that strange metalthing before we reconnected the power, but it looks like it's no longer there so...))

If the metalthing is still a danger, find it and destroy it.
Else, just start cleaning and sorting out things in the base, starting from the fridge and working my way outwards.

((Also, I just noticed that whenever I try something heroic or try to help someone, I usually fail. And not only that, my failures tend to be rather unspectacular. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.))
You wander over to the fridge and start righting the shelves and putting things back in place. At least this place wasn't hit. Losing the Infirmary is bad, but loosing the kitchen would be undoubtedly fatal.

head to the medbay and check to see if life support can be restored to the morgue or surgical bay.

If so, restore life support to those subsections and move the medical equipment as necessary.
If not, move all medical equipment to the barracks.

You head into the infirmary and look around. The medbay and Morgue are both in vacuum, currently, and you're not even sure if they can be made air tight. Hell, you're not even sure if the life support system that feeds to the Medbay is even still intact. You sigh and begin moving all the medical equipment to the barracks. It's gonna take a while.

((Wonderful! I love that armor.))

Well, the lab has a few holes, but the most damaging is that the main lab door's blast shield has a hole in it, and the umbilical has a hole through it. The phase fluid cannonball is nowhere to be seen. Might have been what went through the blast door.

Exit the complex via Lab umbilical hole and see what's happened to the base as a whole for myself.
Put lightly, the base is pretty toasty. The armory is fucked. The Garage is blasted, though still mostly intact. The medbay is gutted, the lab was tentacle raped and then torn open, the conference room looks like it pissed off a firing squad and everything is generally terrible. Also, it seems like the Base's radio array was melted, as was probably the majority of its sensors.

"Well that entire area can be written off as screwed" Michael says after going outside to see the damage, "So Garage, med & most of the umbilical are Swiss cheese... The armoury looks fine but is probably badly damaged..." *sigh* "the next few months are going to be long and arduous"
Go outside and mark any breaches that reach the inside of the base with the painted stones from my slingshot-thing
The only way outside is through a crater. A big, deep, easy to get stuck in crater. Sure you wanna go do that?

Lukas opens a comm channel to the rest of the team. "Hey guys, how's everyone doing? Anton is pretty banged up, so it would be wonderful if a medic could make his way to the garage."

Talk to Anton to comfort him and hope that a medic can make it to the garage. Be on the lookout for the metal ball as much as possible.
You talk to Anton, even though anton doesn't talk back, and wait. You wait and you watch for new dangers. But everything is quiet now; vacuum quiet and dead still.

"Hey guys, how's everyone doing? Anton is pretty banged up, so it would be wonderful if a medic could make his way to the garage."
"...mark one...breach...garage...atmosphere..."

Mumble words of warning, hopefully through the intercom. Combat the forces of blood loss with astounding feats of regeneration.

You continue to remain unconscious. Bloodloss is a bitch eh?

"Hey guys, how's everyone doing? Anton is pretty banged up, so it would be wonderful if a medic could make his way to the garage."
"...mark one...breach...garage...atmosphere..."

Mumble words of warning, hopefully through the intercom. Combat the forces of blood loss with astounding feats of regeneration.

Lukas brings his head closer to Anton's in order to hear what Anton is trying to say. "...mark one...breach...atmosphere???" - pause - "Oh shit!"

In addition to earlier action (or, if necessary, instead of earlier action) drag Anton to a location that can be locked off from the breach. If that is not possible, try to fix the breach in the garage.

You don't know where to take him...Nowhere is large enough to admit him inside the suit. The only doorway large enough is the one from CCR to the garage. And it's bowed and jammed shut.

(Current map of base updated.)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15078 on: July 09, 2013, 01:54:51 pm »

((Might want to separate that quote.

Also, I find it very ironic that the drones I grabbed are the only ones surviving. And the ones Flint put on record. That's what like, 9 drones?))

Record that part about light on my wrist-pad.

"From what I gather, it should be more or less safe to go inside. I should be able to find my way back by radio, right?"

Slowly get into the fog, using a metal pole (Standard adventuring quipment!) to feel the way ahead of me. Don't try to hit the wall the drone encountered, just get into a thicker part. If anything weird happens, get out OR do an interrupt action.

Once inside, first get a better sample of the fog.
Then, sample the ground.
Then, sample the root-like thingy. With a knife/some other cutting instrument I assume?

Any more information about the area and roots I uncover whilst inside?
If everything goes smoothly, get out via radio.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:58:16 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15079 on: July 09, 2013, 02:45:34 pm »

Okay, now for some really bad news: The base's entire antenna array, including communication and sensors, is melted. Communication will be suit-only unless we can jury rig something, and when the Sword comes, we probably won't be able to contact it ourselves. And it's a shame that it was only high-value things that appear to be destroyed, but at least we have habitability and supplies enough that you won't starve here, those of you that require food. Damn metabolic wastes that you are.

But one especially concerning thing is that we have very specific, and limited, capability for repairing anyone who gets hurt, so let's not do anything stupid that would have inconvenienced before while you got put in a robot suit like me, but will kill, permanently, now. That means you, anyone who's out exploring instead of assisting with cleanup and repairs back here at base.

See if I can find the frequency that our radios and other transmissions operate on.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:48:05 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15080 on: July 09, 2013, 04:26:04 pm »

"I think our first order of business (after we get the base in order and heal anyone who needs it) is to fix the comms and macguyver a shuttle. Much as I like this planetoid, I wouldn't like to be stuck here for the rest of my life."

Continue putting things in their right place around the base, gathering scrap and generally helping with repairs when necessary.

EDIT: Oh, and get a sample from the edge of the crater before it solidifies.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15081 on: July 09, 2013, 04:38:55 pm »

If we can get communications back to a point where we can contact the Sword, we can request another shuttle. If we can't, they might investigate why and find us anyways. Not because they want us, but because they want anything we might've dug up.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15082 on: July 09, 2013, 04:39:40 pm »

keep transferring stuff, harbour deep resentment toward resident butterfingers.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15083 on: July 09, 2013, 05:28:19 pm »

"Wow."

Salvage anything useful from the armory, including bits of what used to be walls. Go grab a torch from the garage if I need to cut bits off.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #15084 on: July 09, 2013, 07:34:31 pm »

"Well this crater could be a problem"
Create a bridge out of various pieces of base, melt it together with rifle then move across carefull
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15085 on: July 09, 2013, 08:28:37 pm »

"May the gods preserve us."

Lars wandered into the fog.  "With the light of Steve guiding us and the shielding hands of Algis preserving us, we shall persevere."

Follow the leader into the fog.  Stay a bit back and watch to see if anything odd happens.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:12:40 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15086 on: July 09, 2013, 10:10:18 pm »

"May the gods preserve us."

Lars looks into the fog.  "Shall we?  With the light of Steve guiding us and the shielding hands of Algis preserving us, we shall persevere."

((Are you actually going to enter, or will you just be encouraging me with blessings? Because if I'm going alone, I don't see where the "we" in "Shall we" comes from.))

To Simus: "Duly noted. Will try to keep safe. Can't guarantee, obviously."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:12:55 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15087 on: July 09, 2013, 10:11:21 pm »

((Oh man, I cannot read.  Yeah, Lars is going in with.  Editing to better reflect reality.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15088 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:33 pm »

"Got some good and bad news for the garage. Bad news: We're leaking fuel from one of the tanks, the large shuttle looks like it's been vaporised, 2 minishuttles are wrecked, 1 rocket bike is the same, we've lost a good amount of tools and the box of drones and there's a fucking missing wall. Good news is that the last minishuttle is basically untouched somehow, I can probably repair 1 rocketbike to working condition so we have 2 bikes and we still have a surplus of tools.

So we've been fucked over, but it could have been worse and the fuel tanks haven't exploded. So that's something."

Immediately seal the leak in that fuel tank, then take stock of the structure of the garage and what I could do to fix it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: July 10, 2013, 01:08:28 am »

Okay, I tried to say it nicely, but all right.

All Teams not currently on base are to come back to base immediately to assist with damage control until further notice.
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 1256