Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945768 times)

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: Screwed and Mutinous
« Reply #14925 on: June 30, 2013, 05:53:35 am »

Help salvage anything from the shuttle.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14926 on: June 30, 2013, 06:31:06 am »

Anton, I'm going to leave what's left to you and Bishop, while I show my worth as lead scientist. Specifically, finding out whatever the hell the liquid is that that thing was producing and what it presumably came from.
Anton follows Simus with his gaze incredulously as the shimmering robot figure leaves the Garage.

"But, er, Bishop's already..."

He turns back to look at the pile of partially molten machinery next to him. "Figures."

"Ah well. You people go rest your tired robot bodies, and just leave the squishy human to do the heavy lifting." Anton throws his hands forward in an exaggerated sorcerer pose. "Super robot hand powers, activate!"

A second or two of silence later, he lowers his arms and picks up his tools. "No powers? No problem. Enough of this silliness, let's get back to work."

Search through the downloaded HMRC Armory files on my datapad for any Battlesuit maintenance manuals or schematics that would help with repairs. Examine the extent of the damage to Gilgamesh's upper arm servo. Consider if just melting the offending piece out of the hole would be a workable solution. See if the servo can't be detached from the rest of the machine for ease of repair or replacement. Try to find a fitting replacement, or possible repair parts, among the available spares.
Examine the rocket pods, and dismantle them both if the damaged one is well and truly beyond repair. Use wrenches and screwdrivers instead of cutters where possible - any replacement system we come up with would have to be mounted on the same pylons.
Clean the removed pieces of battlesuit plate of remaining iron, and see about arranging them around the arm in an attempt to re-armor the appendage. Don't attach anything anywhere yet, just see how much of it is salvageable.
Get into Gilgamesh's cockpit and run a diagnostic, see if the suit's own systems see anything else wrong that I can look at.

Examine Lukas once more, see if it's possible to do anything else for him. Look at the armoring on the undamaged arm and see how much of it could be transferred over to the damaged one to balance the weight and protection a bit. Check the leg armor for that as well.

Return to Flint's exosuit and try to figure out the wheeled quadruped modification again. See if it's possible to adapt its rocket pods to replace or complement Gilgamesh's. Check if any of its servos, especially around the waist area that it's unlikely to be using without walking legs, can be adapted or reused to repair Gilgamesh's damage.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:37:30 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14927 on: June 30, 2013, 07:17:16 am »

((@PyroDesu: Remember, piecewise doesn't know what those chemicals do, so you better tell him or at least tell him what you're searching for.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14928 on: June 30, 2013, 09:31:53 am »

"I need you to check both Miyamoto and myself for injuries and treat them for us. He was thrown around in his suit, and Simus connected a circuit that made said suit punch me across the garage. I can't really tell how bad I'm hurt anymore, so you need to check for me." Bishop says while taking off his suit. He figured it would only hide any injuries he had, and he didn't need Mesk cutting it apart.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14929 on: June 30, 2013, 09:54:03 am »

"...fine."
Check Bishop for obvious injuries.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14930 on: June 30, 2013, 10:04:19 am »

((Oh yeah, the list I was supposed to compile but got wiped when my computer started derping out.

To make a by no means comprehensive list (all I can do for now):
Sulfuric acid produces green smoke with copper
Hydrochloric acid fizzes violently with zinc
Concentrated Nitric acid passivates (does not react due to insoluble layer formed) iron, cobalt, chromium, nickle, and aluminium
Aqua Regia is able to dissolve almost everything, except Ruthenium
Ammonia will dissolve alkali metals into highly coloured solutions
Sodium Hypochlorite will give off oxygen with hydrogen peroxide (and dissolve Ruthenium)
Potassium Rhodizonate imbued paper turns pink when it touches lead
Molten sodium hydroxide attacks silicate glass
Molten potassium chlorate reacts violently with organic compounds
Acetone will dissolve plastic and synthetic fibers))
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:47:07 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14931 on: June 30, 2013, 11:36:41 am »

((Is it just me or has the crystal been standing still for the last three turns? Because I haven't seen it moving.

Am I the only one who has ideas on what we can be doing of the four people standing near that shuttle? Very tempting to just begin playing as a team of four people with a hive mind, he he he.

Also, Pyro, I wouldn't want to be Piecewise dealing with this list. Although making monsters with those tables already in mind would be pretty awesome.))

Attaching rollers would be preferable under the normal circumstances. However, since I have no intention of getting back to base anytime soon, it means we should strip the shuttle. Get capable people (Jack) doing that.

"Since only one person here is actually capable of working of the scavenging that shuttle, how about we go and explore the sector South-West of here. Lars, Zephyris, what do you think?"
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14932 on: June 30, 2013, 09:21:46 pm »

"Well uh I guess I need to find something to do.... Hmm I could have some fun."
Find a large lump of metal or rock near to the base roughly anvil like in shape along with some chisels, tongs and hammers
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14933 on: July 01, 2013, 02:40:42 am »

Lukas stands around showing and pointing at his damaged armor to anyone who passes by. Hey, can anyone fix this?

Find someone to fix armor

You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14934 on: July 01, 2013, 12:30:13 pm »

"Huh. Don't seem to do anything..."

Head outside, go look at this giant crystal.

((Awww. No more weirdvision... Oh well.))
The giant crystal is well, a giant crystal. A tower of dark blue crystal striding around on dozens of legs like some sort of mutant, new age spider. It's wandering down a canyon, spewing orange stuff into it as it goes. And it's getting dangerously close to that weird crater just ahead of it.

hand miyamoto some painkillers and tell him to eat them, set his arm and check him for burns
[med:2+1]
You hand Miyamoto the bottle of pain killers and sort of lay the materials for the splint on his arm.

((Oh, forgot to post an action again? Time flies when you're having fun...))

Note the amount of air vented and if I can see any visible changes in volume or bubling or anything else out of the ordinary.
Split the liquid into 8 containers (doesn't need to be a precise split). If possible, try to put something like a larger container or the lid of a container or something below the transfer boxes so that if anything spills, I won't have to clean the chamber unless I make a colossal screw up.
Close one container (preferably the original one) and keep it aside and try to not touch it or otherwise mess with it so that I have an "as pure as possible" sample.
Put a miniscule amount of goo in a few microscope slides.
If possible, pump the air from inside the box into a suitable container. If no containers or other devices capable of receiving and storing air are available, just put the hose out of the base with the help of ALVIN and pump the air out. If that's not possible, find or create a second vacuum pump and attach it with a valve to an airtight container. Empty the air out of the container and then transfer the air from the vacuum glove box to the airtight container. Drill holes and connect with hoses as common sense dictates, because I don't want to start drawing diagrams or make this action any more complicated.
Perform any tests Simus and anybody else has given me. Help Simus perform any experiments she wants herself.
Empty the air (if any) from those experiments to separate containers if possible, or at least take samples from them.
Once the vacuum glove box is as empty of air as possible and all containers inside it are sealed, repressurize it and then open it.
Label all sample containers appropriately.
Take the goo samples back to the fridge.
Look at one of the goo slides in the microscope. Record results.
Apply varying amounts of electrical charge (start from low and go higher) to a goo slide while looking at it in the microscope. Record results. Pay special attention to any changes in structure, size or movement.
Apply heat to a goo slide while looking at it in the microscope. Record results. Pay special attention to any changes in structure, size or movement.
Announce results of testing to team.

((By the way, is anybody watching the crystal?
And nobody has any ideas for goo experiments?))
Anton, I'm going to leave what's left to you and Bishop, while I show my worth as lead scientist. Specifically, finding out whatever the hell the liquid is that that thing was producing and what it presumably came from.

To the lab! Take a bit of the sample and subject it to the physical and chemical test routines, not omitting any tests that are similar to others being performed.

Spoiler: Test Proceedures (click to show/hide)
[flint dex:2+1]
As flint begins splitting the fluid into 8 containers, he fumbles a bit and spills about a tablespoon worth onto the metal surface inside the vacuum box. The fluid lands with a plop, shivers for a moment and then takes on a metallic form and begins shrinking in on itself, forming into something resembling a metallic bearing and then beginning to float.
[Flint dex:2+1]
Flint manages to drop the container and jerk his hand away as the hovering bearing fires forward and smashes through the container like a bullet. The remaining fluid splatters across the inside of the vacuum box and then begins to merge with the bearing, growing from the size of a large marble to a ball the size of flint's head.

"We....may have a problem."

Do that on whatever is left that looks important, then.
Help salvage anything from the shuttle.
((Is it just me or has the crystal been standing still for the last three turns? Because I haven't seen it moving.

Am I the only one who has ideas on what we can be doing of the four people standing near that shuttle? Very tempting to just begin playing as a team of four people with a hive mind, he he he.

Also, Pyro, I wouldn't want to be Piecewise dealing with this list. Although making monsters with those tables already in mind would be pretty awesome.))

Attaching rollers would be preferable under the normal circumstances. However, since I have no intention of getting back to base anytime soon, it means we should strip the shuttle. Get capable people (Jack) doing that.

"Since only one person here is actually capable of working of the scavenging that shuttle, how about we go and explore the sector South-West of here. Lars, Zephyris, what do you think?"
[Jack Aux:4+1]
[Lars handi:4+1]
[Vich handi:5]
Jack identifies the cutting points and which pieces are worth saving while Lars and Vich do the dirty work of prying, cutting, and otherwise dismantling the ship; stripping off paneling, carefully removing electronics and wiring, and even detaching the rocket engines and fuel tanks and lugging them into the cart, no easy task even with three people.

"You know," jack says, poking at the engines while the team gets their breath back, "We might be able to modify one of these engines to replace Miyamoto's damaged one."

Anton follows Simus with his gaze incredulously as the shimmering robot figure leaves the Garage.

"But, er, Bishop's already..."

He turns back to look at the pile of partially molten machinery next to him. "Figures."

"Ah well. You people go rest your tired robot bodies, and just leave the squishy human to do the heavy lifting." Anton throws his hands forward in an exaggerated sorcerer pose. "Super robot hand powers, activate!"

A second or two of silence later, he lowers his arms and picks up his tools. "No powers? No problem. Enough of this silliness, let's get back to work."

Search through the downloaded HMRC Armory files on my datapad for any Battlesuit maintenance manuals or schematics that would help with repairs. Examine the extent of the damage to Gilgamesh's upper arm servo. Consider if just melting the offending piece out of the hole would be a workable solution. See if the servo can't be detached from the rest of the machine for ease of repair or replacement. Try to find a fitting replacement, or possible repair parts, among the available spares.
Examine the rocket pods, and dismantle them both if the damaged one is well and truly beyond repair. Use wrenches and screwdrivers instead of cutters where possible - any replacement system we come up with would have to be mounted on the same pylons.
Clean the removed pieces of battlesuit plate of remaining iron, and see about arranging them around the arm in an attempt to re-armor the appendage. Don't attach anything anywhere yet, just see how much of it is salvageable.
Get into Gilgamesh's cockpit and run a diagnostic, see if the suit's own systems see anything else wrong that I can look at.

Examine Lukas once more, see if it's possible to do anything else for him. Look at the armoring on the undamaged arm and see how much of it could be transferred over to the damaged one to balance the weight and protection a bit. Check the leg armor for that as well.

Return to Flint's exosuit and try to figure out the wheeled quadruped modification again. See if it's possible to adapt its rocket pods to replace or complement Gilgamesh's. Check if any of its servos, especially around the waist area that it's unlikely to be using without walking legs, can be adapted or reused to repair Gilgamesh's damage.

It looks like the damaged servo is only one of many responsible for the movement of the arm; back ups and redundancies along with a simply complex system that is hard to completely disable. In other words, the damage is very minor. Negligable if you just reroute a few things or easily fixable with a new servo. Though you're not sure you have exactly the right kind on hand.

The rocket pods have already been worked on. The damaged one was cut away because the damage included the pylon.

As per using the remaining bits of armor to rearmor the arm, you'd have to get them back from the guy that snatched them up first.

[aux:4]
You run a minimal diagnostic which discovers much of what you already know. There are a few new things; damaged circuits that reroute through backups, things like that. But nothing major that you didn't already know.

You don't think the armor from the undamaged side could be transferred, but it might be possible to produce more; maybe even from the molten metal they fell into . His armor is simple after all, heavy iron plating might just do it.

"...fine."
Check Bishop for obvious injuries.

You look at bishop. He's got two black eyes and a broken nose.

"Take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Also, no more barroom brawls."

"Well uh I guess I need to find something to do.... Hmm I could have some fun."
Find a large lump of metal or rock near to the base roughly anvil like in shape along with some chisels, tongs and hammers

You find a vaguely anvil like rock near the base and take your designated tools out to it.

Lukas stands around showing and pointing at his damaged armor to anyone who passes by. Hey, can anyone fix this?

Find someone to fix armor

Anton seems to be all over that.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14935 on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:29 pm »

Continue assisting.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14936 on: July 01, 2013, 12:42:19 pm »

"Stupid thing! Die, die, die!"

Monorazor the thing! If Simus tries to restrain me, half joke about how much I like robobondage to distract her.

((At least I dodn't roll two 1s in a row.))

((Hmmm... Interesting. So the goo takes on some of the properties of the first material to touch it after it reaches an active state... And the thing in the trench may have reched an active state by now... Which means that if that goo touches anything else, we'll be in trouble. Here's hoping that the crystal doesn't explode when it falls in the gravity seep, else we won't be staying in this planet for long...))
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:20:55 pm by Parisbre56 »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14937 on: July 01, 2013, 12:44:16 pm »

Miyamoto next.

"Hey, boss.  If the crystal thing comes too close to the base, how long do you think we can hold out if everyone holes up in the shuttle with as much food as it can carry and we fly somewhere?"

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14938 on: July 01, 2013, 12:53:30 pm »

"Heheh. Silly crystal. Doesn't it realise you shouldn't walk into strange craters?"

Continue observing.

((Oh god, it's like a lethal Flubber.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14939 on: July 01, 2013, 12:55:54 pm »

"Thanks. Don't mangle him, ok?"

Look in a mirror and put my nose back the right way. Then suit up again and go check on the progress in the garage, and run a diagnostic on both the suit and Lukas for my own benefit.

((It's like Flubber, but with SUDDEN PAIN and GRUESOME DEATH! Fantastic, that's all we need.))
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1256