Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945370 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Misson 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13395 on: April 08, 2013, 06:17:51 am »

Go and map sector 2 if no-one has any objections
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13396 on: April 08, 2013, 08:37:50 am »

((Awesome things happening right here -.- ...
So my graphics adapter died. That was the minor breakdown I mentioned earlier; only minor because I could at least still use the (crappy) onboard graphics.
Then, when I got a new card and built that in, the PC just decides to do weird shit and generally do not what it's supposed to do. After hours of fiddling, raging and considering just throwing the whole thing out of the window I finally got it working..anyways, I missed a lot here as it seems.

@Thearpox: As I consider myself not being a great RP'er or anything since I literally started my RP-career right here with ER, I haven't really created an elaborate backstory for Zephy. And the ..thing.. I wrote up for my character sheet.. Well roughly a day after posting it I looked over it again and kinda didn't like it anymore. I do want to think about it some more and give it maybe a bit more depth (and sense) instead of just discarding it, but my mind was somewhere else the past 2 weeks. So I'll have to put you off for now.))

"You mean what brought me to the HMRC? I was...", Zephyris paused a moment taking a deep breath,"I'm sorry but I don't want to talk about it. I'm not some kind of murderer, terrorist or anthing else if your suspecting that. Actually I haven't broken any laws..at least not that I know of. Let's just say I did what I thought was best at the time. Turns out it wasn't."
Follow the team. Try to calm down any further arguments
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13397 on: April 08, 2013, 10:04:01 am »

((OOC speculation here, but how ARE we going to get to outer areas?  Most of the pathways are moderately to extremely dangerous.  The time zone and radiation are totally out.  The volcano zone would probably melt our vehicles.  The vision zone is I guess mostly safe, but it is quite possible some of those unknown areas are dangerous.  That leaves the unknown zone and the "gameboard" zone that is too untested for real travel.

I suppose south we have the "road" between the volcanism and the radiation that appears safe, but due north looks to be out unless we can conclude the "gameboard" is safe.

Also, the hell is the nature of this place?  It's like someone used this place as a science experiment.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13398 on: April 08, 2013, 10:17:41 am »

((My guess it's an anomalous planetoid. :P In-universe, I have my suspicions... and I might voice them if I get more evidence, but for now it's just odd thoughts.

And we really should check out the gameboard zone, and start using spare materials to plot out safe paths through zones. The molten zone is off-limits to vehicles, the radioactive zone will have to be explored by something very shielded and insulated, and the timewarp zone begins to show some interesting properties that I think it would be prudent to check out. I think Anton will be volunteering to perform experiments on it as soon as any on-base stuff is handled. ^_^))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13399 on: April 08, 2013, 10:23:57 am »

((Are they anything like the bottom-left idea?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13400 on: April 08, 2013, 10:29:41 am »

((Actually, sector 2 is safe as long as you stay away from the center (maybe even the center is safe, although someone should send a drone there first), sector 3 has a safe corridor through it, sector 4 is probably safe as long as you stay away from/fly over the orange blobs (again, a drone should be sent to investigate), I cannot say for sector 5 (I know that the shuttle can take it. We should check how insulated our other vehicles are against heat), sector 6 should be safe if you skirt around the edge of the radiation subhexes and sector 7 should be safe as long as you stay away from the dangerous blindness zones.

So we're not really trapped, we just have to be careful.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13401 on: April 08, 2013, 10:37:25 am »

((Sector three?  That's just as dangerous as the radiation zone, in my book.  Plus, isn't the corridor slowly slowing down, and then hits something weird at the end?

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13402 on: April 08, 2013, 10:39:24 am »

((OOC speculation here, but how ARE we going to get to outer areas?  Most of the pathways are moderately to extremely dangerous.  The time zone and radiation are totally out.  The volcano zone would probably melt our vehicles.  The vision zone is I guess mostly safe, but it is quite possible some of those unknown areas are dangerous.  That leaves the unknown zone and the "gameboard" zone that is too untested for real travel.

I suppose south we have the "road" between the volcanism and the radiation that appears safe, but due north looks to be out unless we can conclude the "gameboard" is safe.

Also, the hell is the nature of this place?  It's like someone used this place as a science experiment.))
((Maybe fly? We haven't really tried how high the anomalies are. But on a serious note, longer expeditions. And bicycles. But our robots + mining suit are capable of carrying great many supplies, especially if Lucas is added to team green. So we can either have expeditions taking weeks at a time, presumably with the use of vehicles, torturous workaround paths, and maybe dropping off supplies from the shuttle. Or we could measure how high the anomalies extend, and simply fly the mini-shuttles over. For now, I don't really see a problem. Oh, and the science experiment thing occured to me a while ago. Not saying it's wrong, but I still thing that it works like an exosystem in a way.

And Flint is totally right, I'm just speculating about the future.))
@Thearpox: As I consider myself not being a great RP'er or anything since I literally started my RP-career right here with ER, I haven't really created an elaborate backstory for Zephy. And the ..thing.. I wrote up for my character sheet.. Well roughly a day after posting it I looked over it again and kinda didn't like it anymore. I do want to think about it some more and give it maybe a bit more depth (and sense) instead of just discarding it, but my mind was somewhere else the past 2 weeks. So I'll have to put you off for now.))

"You mean what brought me to the HMRC? I was...", Zephyris paused a moment taking a deep breath,"I'm sorry but I don't want to talk about it. I'm not some kind of murderer, terrorist or anthing else if your suspecting that. Actually I haven't broken any laws..at least not that I know of. Let's just say I did what I thought was best at the time. Turns out it wasn't."
((Yeah, I started here too. Yay! I suppose you wouldn't notice from the way I roleplay Vich, (Or maybe you do...) but I am new to this. And sure, if you've got computer problems, I don't see how I could possibly blame you. And there's nothing wrong with not wanting to open up right away.))

"That's all right then, I don't mind. But it does mean it's your turn Bishop. Unless you don't want to talk about it, which is fine too."
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13403 on: April 08, 2013, 10:43:26 am »

"Ugh. Time for home."

Head back to base, keeping an eye out for the rest of the team.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13404 on: April 08, 2013, 10:51:49 am »

Go to planning room. Think about the various routes a team that goes for further exploration could take, and how many supplies they would need. Then go take some rest, some food, the works.

To Denzel: "Are you planning to return to base sometime soon? It's not smart nor safe to be out there on your own."

"Okay team, we won't be starting the next phase until the other teams have returned, so take some rest. However, we might go and lend team blue a hand with mapping."

To Blue leader: "Miyamoto here. You guys need some help with sector 4? We're ready with ours, and it seems you still have quite some ground to cover."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13405 on: April 08, 2013, 11:04:30 am »

Quote from:  To Miyamoto | Red Leader
Well, we are kinda taking our time with mapping out the edges of this big distortion thing so we don't get torn apart by it, so sure go ahead. When we are done, we can either meet up with you guys or head back to base to head out to a different zone.

"Huh? You mean, what got me into the HMRC?" Bishop says as he finishes typing. "Oh, I'm basically a freedom fighter, otherwise known as a terrorist, as the corrupted and cruel dictatorship we call a government would call me. It's nothing really all that special I suppose; I used to work in the tech core until I had enough of the government basically using us like machines and was convinced to join a rebel group as a sleeper. I basically gave them nuclear weapons, until I was caught that is, which were then spread around various planets and I'm pretty much responsible for the deaths of thousands, if not millions, of people because of their use." He shrugs and looks over his shoulder. "I'm pretty much a threat to national security but I'm useful so they decided to put me here instead of killing me on the spot. How about you?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13406 on: April 08, 2013, 11:08:56 am »

((I see the shuttles being best used as a mobile base.  Load up three teams of three or so, drop in the corner of three hexes, and each team explores one.  Come back, sleep on the shuttle, hit the next trio the next day.  Head back to base when on-ship supplies are low (or mortal injury etc).

Yeah, this would let us hit nearly every outer hex.  It just misses one, plus five "second ring" hexes that would be good for a smaller vehicle like the mini shuttles.

Map: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Green rings are landing sites, and red dots are the ones we'd miss.

We could also have one brave soul in a rocket bike go hit second-ring anomalies with mapping drones to give us a good idea of what we can face.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13407 on: April 08, 2013, 11:15:57 am »

((Using the shuttle like that is a pretty interesting idea. Definitely worth thinking over at a later date when we start getting out that far.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13408 on: April 08, 2013, 12:07:38 pm »

((Hm. I think I didn't post an action yet.))

Anton sighs and puts the pad away. These precursors were of very little help with their camera feeds. "Hm. There's gotta be security footage around here that doesn't get randomly turned off every once in a while. Suit cameras couldn't've been the only cameras running."

Go to CCR and try to pull up footage from fixed security and observation cameras around the base, dating to before the arrival of our team. CCTV is probably saved in fixed-length chunks, so it should help the dating problem as well. Make a hard copy of all such footage, so that it doesn't get overwritten for whatever reason.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13409 on: April 08, 2013, 12:39:16 pm »

Team Blue

((You know, I kind of had a different response lined up, but this is much more awesome. Kudos to GM.

If only there were someone else around here who had a copy of that book, Huh? Oh well.
Lars has a copy of the book as well. He's the one who scanned it.

Also, we seem to be be most successful working as a team, overall. And I seem to fit the stereotype of both the witch and the inquisitor, he he he.))

"Well, might as well go the whole way now. And sorry about that Flint. How are you doing?

Also Zephyris, just in case you haven't heard my question. Care to tell us about your past."

To Everyone: "This may seem a bit random, but does anyone have any knowledge of Doctor's past? Like why he came to UWM, and so on."

Continue exploration. And if there's a tunnel, go into it, and map the other side until the place Flint was stopped. Also, I'm not the one grumbling. Just saying.

EDIT: Further regarding the system, what about a 5? Like say a 5vs7 or 5vs8? Or for that matter 6vs8?

(Fives trump all. But 6vs 8, eight wins)

((Awesome things happening right here -.- ...
So my graphics adapter died. That was the minor breakdown I mentioned earlier; only minor because I could at least still use the (crappy) onboard graphics.
Then, when I got a new card and built that in, the PC just decides to do weird shit and generally do not what it's supposed to do. After hours of fiddling, raging and considering just throwing the whole thing out of the window I finally got it working..anyways, I missed a lot here as it seems.

You attempt to talk Flint and Vich down, but their arguments are so weird and nonsensical that you find yourself completely incapable of talking to them.

"They're like...screaming about witchcraft and volleyball spiking and how walking is the tool of the devil. I don't even know."
((Oh, I laughed with that. I wonder how one can give someone is a spacesuit a noogie. Except if the one giving the noogie is an amp user... or a witch!))

"Well, might as well go the whole way now. And sorry about that Flint. How are you doing?"
"Okay, I guess."Not thanks to you, you arch-conservative witch."Next time try not to land on me with your exoskeleton. Better yet, never tackle me again, so that there won't be a next time. Now can we please stop the madness and forget this ever happened?"

Exploration continues. And if Vich goes into a tunnel, follow him into it, and map the other side until the place he practiced witchcraft on me. Also, Flint is probably the one grumbling. Just saying.

((EDIT: Notes updated. I'm dangerously close to the character limit (I had to move the old maps to the previous post to make room), so regardless of whether or not we go from 9.4% to 10%+ I'm going to be making the new notes post after the next update, and I'm making it two posts long. (However, with the rate we keep finding weird alien shit around here, I'm getting worried that it still won't be enough.) I'll also make some partitioning changes in order to make it easier to find the info you need. Finally, congratulations to team red for the second 100% mapped zone.))

((EDIT2: And I just thought of a simple but very informative test to determine the nature of the so-called "stop" anomalous motion zone. Even though light seems to stop when entering the zone (the light from a lamp is not visible) the ground of the zone itself is still visible. That means that the zone probably just makes things go really slowly. A way to confirm this is to look through the zone and see whether or not we see something strange, either in the sky or on the ground of a nearby sector. Maybe even check if the base exists when viewed through that zone.))

Check on how the team is holding up and upload our current progress on the map back to the base. Then keep mapping this damn thing.
Well the team seems to be a bit tired, hungry, thirsty and, oh yeah, Vich and Flint look like they're about to shank each other. Over all, fairly normal.

Mapping continues through another few miles of Very minor slowing effects until finally, the "Safe" corridor through the Zone is completely mapped. There were no tunnels, persay, unless you count this safe corridor as a tunnel through the not safe areas.

Team Green

((...Crap, I meant go back around the OTHER way.  Like to where Morul is now.  Also, Lars took pictures of the whole book before he left.  Um, okay, two actions, provisional and real, based on whether that's redactable:))

((Go on as is))

Keep going around the iron sea

((Redact to where Morul is))

Go clockwise around the anomaly and keep mapping

((Sorry about the confusion))

(Yeah, I know you took pictures of the book, but those pictures were on your datapad. Which melted. You'll have to get a copy from Vich, since he has one as well. )

(We'll redact that movement and put you and the team at Morul's location. Not that it matters much since  morul is now running off to base on his own. Wonder if he'll make it...)
Suit repair tools
Vehicle repair tools

Thats all hes got in the way of tools and machinery...
But yeah... i just wanna know if we have any metal shaping stuff so we can recycle old parts or make new items from scrap... just general fabrication type stuff.

follow lars, map stuff
(Yeah, you can assume there's stuff to shape metal.)

Team green Advances a bit along the edge of the volcanic zone, missing Morul as he trudges back toward the base. The parts they map are fairly similar; just more volcanism, without life this time.

"Ugh. Time for home."

Head back to base, keeping an eye out for the rest of the team.
[end:5]
You manage to trudge back to base and immediately drink about a gallon and a half of water before passing out in the barracks.

Team Red

Go to planning room. Think about the various routes a team that goes for further exploration could take, and how many supplies they would need. Then go take some rest, some food, the works.
To Denzel: "Are you planning to return to base sometime soon? It's not smart nor safe to be out there on your own."

"Okay team, we won't be starting the next phase until the other teams have returned, so take some rest. However, we might go and lend team blue a hand with mapping."

To Blue leader: "Miyamoto here. You guys need some help with sector 4? We're ready with ours, and it seems you still have quite some ground to cover."

Well, the amount of supplies would really depend on who is going, but assuming they're all human and on foot you would guess...one day of supplies per large zone would be prudent.

You nap, bathe, eat, drink and otherwise be merry.

Go and map sector 2 if no-one has any objections
Considering Miyamoto is telling Denzel, the full robot man, to stop doing shit on his own and get back to base, he probably wouldn't want you, senior fleshy, to go off on your own. You still can if you want, but he would probably object.

((Okay, let me summarize your complaints for you: "Man, I created those gigantic notes, complete and updated to include every minute action that has happened, all the objects we have with minute descriptions, theories we have, and even the past links to exploration map, and OH MY GOD I AM REACHING THE CHARACTER LIMIT." I love your notes man, but this IS funny. On a serious note, there's a reason why I keep my notes in the form of links to Google Docs Documents. Because it works! And it's it's also accessible when we get 504. Just saying.

Also, the stop zone is NOT a really slow zone. I think we're kind of in the clear on that. How about we start thinking outside the box? But regarding your test, yeah we should do it with the objects on the other side. However, if the zone IS just a really slow zone (which it is not), that graffiti I put on it will eventually trickle down in the course of a year. But I wonder if there's something special about the light that goes through it.

And I would congratulate team red, if not for the fact that they achieved it by splitting up and leaving Denzel on his own. Not cool guys, even if he deserved it and you had no alternative.))
((... Um, I'm a robot, and I chose to stay back pretty much. And what are you congratulating our team for, exactly?))

Take a look at what I see in the zones around me- what's strange about them?

Well one appears to have an enormous black dome over it. The other seems to be an expanse of what look like giant salt crystals.

Team Base

((Hm. I think I didn't post an action yet.))

Anton sighs and puts the pad away. These precursors were of very little help with their camera feeds. "Hm. There's gotta be security footage around here that doesn't get randomly turned off every once in a while. Suit cameras couldn't've been the only cameras running."

Go to CCR and try to pull up footage from fixed security and observation cameras around the base, dating to before the arrival of our team. CCTV is probably saved in fixed-length chunks, so it should help the dating problem as well. Make a hard copy of all such footage, so that it doesn't get overwritten for whatever reason.
There doesn't appear to be any footage from outside cameras from before the first team got here. The footage just all of a sudden starts as they land outside. Hmm. Stranger still, there is no footage from between their disappearance and your team's arrival.

Map
http://i.imgur.com/iBLxqrV.png
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:46:07 pm by piecewise »
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896 ... 1256