Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945322 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Misson 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13380 on: April 07, 2013, 01:25:45 pm »

"I'm not launching it into the distortions, I'm sending it away from it to map the rest of the zone. Come on, I'm not that stupid to waste a perfectly good drone, give me some credit here."

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13381 on: April 07, 2013, 01:32:07 pm »

"Well, I'm glad that's over. I hate it when things fuck with my vision."

Follow Miyamoto back to base.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13382 on: April 07, 2013, 01:36:05 pm »

To Team Red (I'm assuming that while walking for countless hours, we've also been chatting over the coms, and we have an idea of what the other teams have): "Listen guys, about the anomalies you've found. This is all pure speculation, but I think that those vision distortions you've been finding are not isolated anomalies with the same bent or origin. I bet that the entire hex and around, even the areas that seemingly produce no effects are part of an anomaly. Maybe you're just not noticing the effects, which could be if they are affecting not visible light. Or perhaps they effect not even light at all."
((If you look at my notes, I have come to the conclusion that these areas don't affect light. They affect the mind of the watcher, be it biological or mechanical. Especially things like the reversed perspective or the sharper vision would be impossible to do with light manipulation. That implies an intelligence so strong and computationally fast that could destroy us in a second if its programming said so.
I would however be very interested in seeing how these effects propagate to other vision modes. For example, what happens if you enter a drone with one or three cameras in the mirror blindness zone? What happens to the off tint and inverted tint zones when viewed in infared or x-ray?))
Continue exploration. If there is a "No Effect Zone" like last time, go inside unless Bishop objects.
((Aha! Your plot is now revealed witch! You wanted all the glory for yourself. Burn him!  :) (Also, isn't witch for females? How would you call a male witch?)))
((Light, biological, intellectual, that's not the point. The point is that anomaly exists in normal zones too even if it's unnoticed.

Also, I would call myself being a good guy genuinely concerned for your health, Flint. ;D))

To Miyamoto: "Progress? Yes, I'm private Vich, team blue. We've found a corridor going through our anomaly that makes a person inside lightheaded, and we've been mapping the other side of the anomaly. We've also found that being in close proximity to the "temporal" anomaly somehow affects our mind. All four of us had weird dreams yesterday. If I may suggest something, I would recommend switching us with one of the other teams in exploring this sector, to minimize the continuing effect on our mind. I am aware that we're supposed to move to the other sector away from it anyway, so it may be unimportant for now. But when we begin advanced exploration, it may be best to keep this in mind."

Vich was a little torn between Flint and Bishop. On one hand, he agreed with Flint regarding what to do. On the other hand, Bishop was the leader, and one of the things that being with the rebels taught Vich, was to follow the authority except in extreme circumstances. Abandoning a teammate was extreme, pathfinding problems were not. To complicate things, he didn't want to use speech all the time because it would basically turn teammates into puppets and probably make them hate him. That sort of thing was used only occasionally and sparingly. In addition, if that Bishop guy was to be worth anything, he would have to deal with Flint on his own. Proving oneself and so forth.

So he waited for the dispute to finish as soon as possible, planning to intervene only if it was going to drag out.

Quote from: Vich to Flint and Bishop
If you guys have a dispute, you could ask command to play judge. We've done this in the past.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:39:57 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13383 on: April 07, 2013, 01:43:10 pm »

Team Blue:
((You know, with the thing about mapping drones on a suit--Okay, I concede. It would be better with a suit than without it. But you know, at some point it becomes your responsibility as the suit carrier to tell me it's advantages so I can understand that we shouldn't leave without it. So I concede that it would be better with it, but I blame you for the fact that we didn't take it. Because I completely forgot that the mapping drones we had were on a suit.

Also, it may be a little late for this, but you may have noticed that my reply yesterday was uncharacteristically short (because I was in a hurry). Anyway, five minutes after I posted it, a thought popped into me head: "The inquisition should have hired me. I would have dealt with all the heretics and rebellions single-handedly." And funnily enough, I made no connection to me being a witch when I was thinking that. So, there's that. I find it funny.))

There were four people on a team, and only one was capable of pelting him on a head with small stones. What was the guy thinking? But reacting to that would be a waste of breath.

"If it is indeed a tunnel, we should be close to the other side. I think I'll be going it this time.

Zephyris, you've been a little quiet. Since there's not much to look at or do, care to tell us your backstory? How you got here and all."

To Team Red (I'm assuming that while walking for countless hours, we've also been chatting over the coms, and we have an idea of what the other teams have): "Listen guys, about the anomalies you've found. This is all pure speculation, but I think that those vision distortions you've been finding are not isolated anomalies with the same bent or origin. I bet that the entire hex and around, even the areas that seemingly produce no effects are part of an anomaly. Maybe you're just not noticing the effects, which could be if they are affecting not visible light. Or perhaps they effect not even light at all.

My point is, I would recommend you to treat those "normal" areas in between the pink anomalies as part of an anomaly. So don't linger in them, don't camp in them, and so on. Just a hunch."

Continue exploration. If there is a "No Effect Zone" like last time, go inside unless Bishop objects.

Also, GM, about the adversary system and competing rolls. I don't actually remember you ever elaborating on that. Could you explain it to us more in detail? Like I had 7vs4, so it was a 3 points difference. But like what do three points really count for, and so on.

(In most cases it's just a matter of "How big is the difference between the rolls and what are the rolls themselves. Ie, it's still RTD style but the difference between the two numbers also comes into play. So even if the guy rolls a 4, if you roll like a 8, you'll still over power him, just not to the same degree as you would if he rolled a 2.)

"Right, we've gone far enough following this thing I reckon. Take five everyone, I'm letting out a drone here and we'll start heading back to map the zone we are meant to map next."

Activate a mapping drone at our current position and take a break while it does it's thing. If it doesn't come back, shrug and start heading back the way we came until we enter zone 4. Once there, release another done. Update map every time a drone returns.

Stop Bishop from wasting a drone and go map around the motion anomaly the old fashioned way.

Bishop sends up a drone which Flint promptly spikes back to the ground. He turns to run off on his own, intent on mapping everything by hand, so to speak. Vich counters by tackling Flint and screaming something about "Preventing the evils of Progress."

After an extended period of arguing, accusations of witchcraft, and threats of noogies and shin kicking, the team simply wanders a bit farther and maps as they go. Of course the entire time is spent grumbling at each other. 

Team Green:

Wake up, get geared up then wait for team.

You wake up, put on your space boots and space hat and wait for the team.

"Come on guys! Space adventures!"

Guess theres no way to test it, if the lab doesbt have a mass spectrometer it probably wont have any reactive chemicals that can help identify trace elements  :-\

grab the biggest, thickest, most radiation proof sample container and label it "Anomalous shard" then stick it in the garage so we can go collect that highly radioactive whatsit at a later date.

While im in the garage take a quick inventory of all machinery and tools then follow lars out.

You grab a sample container thats really more of a giant metal drum and bring it to the garage after labeling it "Anomalous shard"

As per the inventory of the garage, I think Paris' notes already have it, although you may want to look around for anything specific, since it's kinda got the Med kit "Hammerspace" effect.

((No reading?  Awww.))

Lars streched, and woke up.  After twenty minutes of prayer, as usual, he got himself suited up and ready to go.  "Brothers, it is time once again to voyage out into the unknown, doing the good work of Steve.  May Algis watch over us all."

Head back and start going counterclockwise around the anomaly, picking up where we left off after grabbing a mapping drone.  Stop before entering the melting-point of the drone.

If only there were someone else around here who had a copy of that book, Huh? Oh well.

It takes green team quite a while to return all the way out to their former location, especially considering it's literally like 20 miles out and they're taking the long route, on foot. In fact, by the time they get out there, half the day has already passed.

Continue exploration, keep an eye out for the rest of green team.

You explore a tiny bit more but you're feeling very tired, very lightheaded and basically on the edge of collapse. 

(You've been out in the heat for over 24 hours without water. You're literally dying of dehydration at this point)

Team Red:

If all of the vision distortion anomaly seems to be mapped, get back to base.

To Team Red (I'm assuming that while walking for countless hours, we've also been chatting over the coms, and we have an idea of what the other teams have): "Listen guys, about the anomalies you've found. This is all pure speculation, but I think that those vision distortions you've been finding are not isolated anomalies with the same bent or origin. I bet that the entire hex and around, even the areas that seemingly produce no effects are part of an anomaly. Maybe you're just not noticing the effects, which could be if they are affecting not visible light. Or perhaps they effect not even light at all."
My point is, I would recommend you to treat those "normal" areas in between the pink anomalies as part of an anomaly. So don't linger in them, don't camp in them, and so on. Just a hunch."

Back over private comm channel: "Yeah, wasn't planning on building my new beach resort here until we know more about what is causing this. Still, thanks for the concern I guess. By the way, you guys getting some progress on your side?"

Quote from: To home base
Base, Miyamoto here. We're about finished mapping our zones, we'll be heading back now. Simus, we will start preparing the next fase of exploration once I'm back there, ok? Miya out.

Check around the borders of nearby zones for anomalies with rocks before mapping the borders. It there is an anomaly, stop.

follow the leader

Miyamoto and the rest of Red team, minus Denzel, return to Base. Denzel proceeds to wander to the edge of the zone and hurl rocks around toward the boundaries of the neighboring zones. The Rocks don't seem effected, but he can definitely see strange things out there.

Base Team:

Head to the lab, label the radioactive blue beads as "Radioactive blue beads" and put them in storage or whatever.

You label the beads and huck them into the sample vault. Wonder who is gonna get the job of examining the samples and logging their properties. Hopefully someone with metal hands...

The beginnings of a theory, previously discarded as too improbable, began to resurface in Anton's mind.

"Hmm. Now, isn't that familiar. Still too little to go on, but... nah, it's probably not going to be as severe as that. Still, it won't hurt to get some preparations done... once I'm sure I won't start glowing in the dark."

Keep examining those feeds, start keeping notes and cross-referencing timestamps to get a better idea of how long the previous team actually spent on Deathtrap-1774 before succumbing to their fates. It's hard to imagine they spent at least 60 hours here, with the base already established, without doing much of anything at all. Try to find clues as to the surroundings and anomalies beyond the base sector that the previous team discovered, and any actions they performed that should have left traces in the surrounding landscape.

Video wise, there's not much to go on here. No time stamps, no real way of distinguishing with any true degree of accuracy how long they were here. The best you can do, by cross referencing videos and keeping track of things like meals eaten or times people turned off their camera before going to bed, is to estimate that they were here for something like a week, give or take 2 or 3 days. The Zone storm, if thats what it was, seems to have hit them early, first or second day probably. From then on there seems to be very little footage of the outside. In fact, the amount of footage of anything drops sharply. They don't seem to be recording nearly as much.

MAP
http://i.imgur.com/iyyTBsB.png

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13384 on: April 07, 2013, 02:00:21 pm »

((You know, I kind of had a different response lined up, but this is much more awesome. Kudos to GM.

If only there were someone else around here who had a copy of that book, Huh? Oh well.
Lars has a copy of the book as well. He's the one who scanned it.

Also, we seem to be be most successful working as a team, overall. And I seem to fit the stereotype of both the witch and the inquisitor, he he he.))

"Well, might as well go the whole way now. And sorry about that Flint. How are you doing?

Also Zephyris, just in case you haven't heard my question. Care to tell us about your past."

To Everyone: "This may seem a bit random, but does anyone have any knowledge of Doctor's past? Like why he came to UWM, and so on."

Continue exploration. And if there's a tunnel, go into it, and map the other side until the place Flint was stopped. Also, I'm not the one grumbling. Just saying.

EDIT: Further regarding the system, what about a 5? Like say a 5vs7 or 5vs8? Or for that matter 6vs8?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:10:50 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13385 on: April 07, 2013, 03:44:30 pm »

((Oh, I laughed with that. I wonder how one can give someone is a spacesuit a noogie. Except if the one giving the noogie is an amp user... or a witch!))

"Well, might as well go the whole way now. And sorry about that Flint. How are you doing?"
"Okay, I guess."Not thanks to you, you arch-conservative witch."Next time try not to land on me with your exoskeleton. Better yet, never tackle me again, so that there won't be a next time. Now can we please stop the madness and forget this ever happened?"

Exploration continues. And if Vich goes into a tunnel, follow him into it, and map the other side until the place he practiced witchcraft on me. Also, Flint is probably the one grumbling. Just saying.

((EDIT: Notes updated. I'm dangerously close to the character limit (I had to move the old maps to the previous post to make room), so regardless of whether or not we go from 9.4% to 10%+ I'm going to be making the new notes post after the next update, and I'm making it two posts long. (However, with the rate we keep finding weird alien shit around here, I'm getting worried that it still won't be enough.) I'll also make some partitioning changes in order to make it easier to find the info you need. Finally, congratulations to team red for the second 100% mapped zone.))

((EDIT2: And I just thought of a simple but very informative test to determine the nature of the so-called "stop" anomalous motion zone. Even though light seems to stop when entering the zone (the light from a lamp is not visible) the ground of the zone itself is still visible. That means that the zone probably just makes things go really slowly. A way to confirm this is to look through the zone and see whether or not we see something strange, either in the sky or on the ground of a nearby sector. Maybe even check if the base exists when viewed through that zone.))
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:03:25 pm by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13386 on: April 07, 2013, 07:15:20 pm »

((Okay, let me summarize your complaints for you: "Man, I created those gigantic notes, complete and updated to include every minute action that has happened, all the objects we have with minute descriptions, theories we have, and even the past links to exploration map, and OH MY GOD I AM REACHING THE CHARACTER LIMIT." I love your notes man, but this IS funny. On a serious note, there's a reason why I keep my notes in the form of links to Google Docs Documents. Because it works! And it's it's also accessible when we get 504. Just saying.

Also, the stop zone is NOT a really slow zone. I think we're kind of in the clear on that. How about we start thinking outside the box? But regarding your test, yeah we should do it with the objects on the other side. However, if the zone IS just a really slow zone (which it is not), that graffiti I put on it will eventually trickle down in the course of a year. But I wonder if there's something special about the light that goes through it.

And I would congratulate team red, if not for the fact that they achieved it by splitting up and leaving Denzel on his own. Not cool guys, even if he deserved it and you had no alternative. EDIT: Totally forgot you were a robot. Oh well.))
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:41:02 pm by Thearpox »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13387 on: April 07, 2013, 07:20:45 pm »

((Okay, let me summarize your complaints for you: "Man, I created those gigantic notes, complete and updated to include every minute action that has happened, all the objects we have with minute descriptions, theories we have, and even the past links to exploration map, and OH MY GOD I AM REACHING THE CHARACTER LIMIT." I love your notes man, but this IS funny. On a serious note, there's a reason why I keep my notes in the form of links to Google Docs Documents. Because it works! And it's it's also accessible when we get 504. Just saying.

Also, the stop zone is NOT a really slow zone. I think we're kind of in the clear on that. How about we start thinking outside the box? But regarding your test, yeah we should do it with the objects on the other side. However, if the zone IS just a really slow zone (which it is not), that graffiti I put on it will eventually trickle down in the course of a year. But I wonder if there's something special about the light that goes through it.

And I would congratulate team red, if not for the fact that they achieved it by splitting up and leaving Denzel on his own. Not cool guys, even if he deserved it and you had no alternative.))
((... Um, I'm a robot, and I chose to stay back pretty much. And what are you congratulating our team for, exactly?))

Take a look at what I see in the zones around me- what's strange about them?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13388 on: April 07, 2013, 07:49:06 pm »

Suit repair tools
Vehicle repair tools

Thats all hes got in the way of tools and machinery...
But yeah... i just wanna know if we have any metal shaping stuff so we can recycle old parts or make new items from scrap... just general fabrication type stuff.

follow lars, map stuff
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13389 on: April 07, 2013, 08:16:10 pm »

Suit repair tools
Vehicle repair tools

Thats all hes got in the way of tools and machinery...
But yeah... i just wanna know if we have any metal shaping stuff so we can recycle old parts or make new items from scrap... just general fabrication type stuff.
*fake cough of attracting attention* Is this what you're looking for?
Spare parts/scrap/anything else necessary to repair vehicles and create or modify stuff
Base repair tools (used to seal holes, weld stuff, etc)
Those include hammers welders and pretty much anything you need to turn yourself into Sir Scraperlot. And they ARE in the notes.

((@Thearpox: We can speculate some more on the stop zone after we perform the experiment and get some data.

And I do not use Google docs because I like the way I keep stuff organized into spoilers and colors and tables and stuff. And after the next update they are going to be organized even better. Although I guess I could do the same thing with an excel file and some hyperlinks... I'll think about it tomorrow.

And not every minute detail is covered. I could do much worse. But that would make the notes a)cumbersome and difficult to read b)take more time to do than anything else during my waking hours. Thankfully, my note-taking-obsession-thingy is not so bad.. yet.))
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:19:22 pm by Parisbre56 »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13390 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:23 pm »

Check on how the team is holding up and upload our current progress on the map back to the base. Then keep mapping this damn thing.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13391 on: April 07, 2013, 10:38:28 pm »

((...Crap, I meant go back around the OTHER way.  Like to where Morul is now.  Also, Lars took pictures of the whole book before he left.  Um, okay, two actions, provisional and real, based on whether that's redactable:))

((Go on as is))

Keep going around the iron sea

((Redact to where Morul is))

Go clockwise around the anomaly and keep mapping

((Sorry about the confusion))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13392 on: April 08, 2013, 04:04:37 am »

And I would congratulate team red, if not for the fact that they achieved it by splitting up and leaving Denzel on his own. Not cool guys, even if he deserved it and you had no alternative. EDIT: Totally forgot you were a robot. Oh well.))

((What? First of, we got 100% before Denzel split up from us
Secondly, his action came after mine, so I had no idea he wouldn't be coming.
Thirdly, now that the anomalous zones are mapped there shouldn't be any immediate danger for Denzel as long as he doesn't bumble into one by his lonesome.
And lastly, 'he deserved it and you had no alternative'? He has been a co-operating member of our team , and there is no apparent danger, so 'no alternative' sounds a bit overly dramatic here.

So, to conclude, I have no idea whatsoever what you're trying to say.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13393 on: April 08, 2013, 05:03:41 am »

((What? First of, we got 100% before Denzel split up from us
Secondly, his action came after mine, so I had no idea he wouldn't be coming.
Thirdly, now that the anomalous zones are mapped there shouldn't be any immediate danger for Denzel as long as he doesn't bumble into one by his lonesome.
And lastly, 'he deserved it and you had no alternative'? He has been a co-operating member of our team , and there is no apparent danger, so 'no alternative' sounds a bit overly dramatic here.

So, to conclude, I have no idea whatsoever what you're trying to say.))
(((sign) First, yeah I didn't really noticed it. But the point being, you were the first to map out a sector fully, but you also split up. And it happened very close to each other, so one negates the other in my biased opinion.
Secondly, that is irrelevant. Stuff still happened whichever action came first.
Thirdly, I wouldn't discount some anomalous event happening while you are away. Keep in mind that while you mapped it out, we don't know how stable the conditions are. And did I mention that I forgot he was a robot? It negates most of what I said, because otherwise he would be in the position of Morul, who is tired and alone and dehydrated.
Lastly, "he deserved it" in the sense that he made his own choice to remain. It wasn't an accident and nobody forced him to. The "no alternative" related to the fact that you had no way to effectively influence him, since his post came after yours, and you're not in control of spinal implants to actually force anybody to do what you want. (Not saying you are powerless, but if a member of a group decides to stay behind, you need to get pretty inventive or autocratic to stop him.) So in order words, he made his choice, and you had no way to do anything about it.

Also, you're going to post an action?))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13394 on: April 08, 2013, 05:17:48 am »

((Seeing as I now have my laptop back (after some time of not being able to use it due to a forgotten charger), -
Spoiler: Map Update! (click to show/hide)
Somewhat experimental. Still working on the updated legend, but do tell me if the symbols are hard to distinguish.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1256