Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945547 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Misson 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13365 on: April 06, 2013, 05:12:25 pm »

Check around the borders of nearby zones for anomalies with rocks before mapping the borders. It there is an anomaly, stop.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13366 on: April 06, 2013, 06:34:01 pm »

Wake up, get geared up then wait for team.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13367 on: April 06, 2013, 07:30:18 pm »

((No reading?  Awww.))

Lars streched, and woke up.  After twenty minutes of prayer, as usual, he got himself suited up and ready to go.  "Brothers, it is time once again to voyage out into the unknown, doing the good work of Steve.  May Algis watch over us all."

Head back and start going counterclockwise around the anomaly, picking up where we left off after grabbing a mapping drone.  Stop before entering the melting-point of the drone.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:10:51 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13368 on: April 06, 2013, 08:23:16 pm »

Continue exploration, keep an eye out for the rest of green team.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13369 on: April 06, 2013, 08:43:48 pm »

((You know, with the thing about mapping drones on a suit--Okay, I concede. It would be better with a suit than without it. But you know, at some point it becomes your responsibility as the suit carrier to tell me it's advantages so I can understand that we shouldn't leave without it. So I concede that it would be better with it, but I blame you for the fact that we didn't take it. Because I completely forgot that the mapping drones we had were on a suit.

Also, it may be a little late for this, but you may have noticed that my reply yesterday was uncharacteristically short (because I was in a hurry). Anyway, five minutes after I posted it, a thought popped into me head: "The inquisition should have hired me. I would have dealt with all the heretics and rebellions single-handedly." And funnily enough, I made no connection to me being a witch when I was thinking that. So, there's that. I find it funny.))

There were four people on a team, and only one was capable of pelting him on a head with small stones. What was the guy thinking? But reacting to that would be a waste of breath.

"If it is indeed a tunnel, we should be close to the other side. I think I'll be going it this time.

Zephyris, you've been a little quiet. Since there's not much to look at or do, care to tell us your backstory? How you got here and all."

To Team Red (I'm assuming that while walking for countless hours, we've also been chatting over the coms, and we have an idea of what the other teams have): "Listen guys, about the anomalies you've found. This is all pure speculation, but I think that those vision distortions you've been finding are not isolated anomalies with the same bent or origin. I bet that the entire hex and around, even the areas that seemingly produce no effects are part of an anomaly. Maybe you're just not noticing the effects, which could be if they are affecting not visible light. Or perhaps they effect not even light at all.

My point is, I would recommend you to treat those "normal" areas in between the pink anomalies as part of an anomaly. So don't linger in them, don't camp in them, and so on. Just a hunch."

Continue exploration. If there is a "No Effect Zone" like last time, go inside unless Bishop objects. EDIT: Follow whichever side wins the dispute team blue is having right now.

Also, GM, about the adversary system and competing rolls. I don't actually remember you ever elaborating on that. Could you explain it to us more in detail? Like I had 7vs4, so it was a 3 points difference. But like what do three points really count for, and so on.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:38:27 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13370 on: April 06, 2013, 11:20:56 pm »

"Right, we've gone far enough following this thing I reckon. Take five everyone, I'm letting out a drone here and we'll start heading back to map the zone we are meant to map next."

Activate a mapping drone at our current position and take a break while it does it's thing. If it doesn't come back, shrug and start heading back the way we came until we enter zone 4. Once there, release another done. Update map every time a drone returns.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13371 on: April 06, 2013, 11:45:46 pm »

follow the leader
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13372 on: April 06, 2013, 11:53:00 pm »

"Right, we've gone far enough following this thing I reckon. Take five everyone, I'm letting out a drone here and we'll start heading back to map the zone we are meant to map next."

Activate a mapping drone at our current position and take a break while it does it's thing. If it doesn't come back, shrug and start heading back the way we came until we enter zone 4. Once there, release another done. Update map every time a drone returns.
((Wait, are you saying we are not going to map the other side of the anomaly? Why?

Also, what do you mean by "heading back".))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13373 on: April 07, 2013, 06:12:35 am »

((If we keep following the edge of the anomaly, we'll probably go pretty far from base, and the whole anomaly will be between us and the base if we need to head back. We're only supposed to map the nearby zones surrounding the base, not go too far from it following just one anomaly.

And I don't understand how you are confused by the term 'heading back'... Does going back the way we came clarify things for you?  ???))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13374 on: April 07, 2013, 06:16:38 am »

"Ummm.... And how exactly are you going to prevent the drone from being torn apart?"
((You know, with the thing about mapping drones on a suit--Okay, I concede. It would be better with a suit than without it. But you know, at some point it becomes your responsibility as the suit carrier to tell me it's advantages so I can understand that we shouldn't leave without it. So I concede that it would be better with it, but I blame you for the fact that we didn't take it. Because I completely forgot that the mapping drones we had were on a suit.
((You know, I really wish I had my mining exosuit with me, cause if I had it, I could hug you to make you feel really awkward and/or cause you to suffocate :P. Nah, don't worry. I'm not blaming you. I'm just one of those guys who would be great for finding a plan to save the world after the world has been destroyed. I'm always thinking of how things could had gone better.))
There were four people on a team, and only one was capable of pelting him on a head with small stones. What was the guy thinking? But reacting to that would be a waste of breath.
((Just getting the witch stoned. Nah, that's a joke action, ignore that.))
To Team Red (I'm assuming that while walking for countless hours, we've also been chatting over the coms, and we have an idea of what the other teams have): "Listen guys, about the anomalies you've found. This is all pure speculation, but I think that those vision distortions you've been finding are not isolated anomalies with the same bent or origin. I bet that the entire hex and around, even the areas that seemingly produce no effects are part of an anomaly. Maybe you're just not noticing the effects, which could be if they are affecting not visible light. Or perhaps they effect not even light at all."
((If you look at my notes, I have come to the conclusion that these areas don't affect light. They affect the mind of the watcher, be it biological or mechanical. Especially things like the reversed perspective or the sharper vision would be impossible to do with light manipulation. That implies an intelligence so strong and computationally fast that could destroy us in a second if its programming said so.
I would however be very interested in seeing how these effects propagate to other vision modes. For example, what happens if you enter a drone with one or three cameras in the mirror blindness zone? What happens to the off tint and inverted tint zones when viewed in infared or x-ray?))
Continue exploration. If there is a "No Effect Zone" like last time, go inside unless Bishop objects.
((Aha! Your plot is now revealed witch! You wanted all the glory for yourself. Burn him!  :) (Also, isn't witch for females? How would you call a male witch?)))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13375 on: April 07, 2013, 07:00:17 am »

((Aha! Your plot is now revealed witch! You wanted all the glory for yourself. Burn him!  :) (Also, isn't witch for females? How would you call a male witch?)))
((Warlock. Or wiccan.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13376 on: April 07, 2013, 08:13:21 am »

Guess theres no way to test it, if the lab doesbt have a mass spectrometer it probably wont have any reactive chemicals that can help identify trace elements  :-\

grab the biggest, thickest, most radiation proof sample container and label it "Anomalous shard" then stick it in the garage so we can go collect that highly radioactive whatsit at a later date.

While im in the garage take a quick inventory of all machinery and tools then follow lars out.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13377 on: April 07, 2013, 11:20:45 am »

The beginnings of a theory, previously discarded as too improbable, began to resurface in Anton's mind.

"Hmm. Now, isn't that familiar. Still too little to go on, but... nah, it's probably not going to be as severe as that. Still, it won't hurt to get some preparations done... once I'm sure I won't start glowing in the dark."

Keep examining those feeds, start keeping notes and cross-referencing timestamps to get a better idea of how long the previous team actually spent on Deathtrap-1774 before succumbing to their fates. It's hard to imagine they spent at least 60 hours here, with the base already established, without doing much of anything at all. Try to find clues as to the surroundings and anomalies beyond the base sector that the previous team discovered, and any actions they performed that should have left traces in the surrounding landscape.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13378 on: April 07, 2013, 11:31:14 am »

If all of the vision distortion anomaly seems to be mapped, get back to base.

To Team Red (I'm assuming that while walking for countless hours, we've also been chatting over the coms, and we have an idea of what the other teams have): "Listen guys, about the anomalies you've found. This is all pure speculation, but I think that those vision distortions you've been finding are not isolated anomalies with the same bent or origin. I bet that the entire hex and around, even the areas that seemingly produce no effects are part of an anomaly. Maybe you're just not noticing the effects, which could be if they are affecting not visible light. Or perhaps they effect not even light at all."
My point is, I would recommend you to treat those "normal" areas in between the pink anomalies as part of an anomaly. So don't linger in them, don't camp in them, and so on. Just a hunch."

Back over private comm channel: "Yeah, wasn't planning on building my new beach resort here until we know more about what is causing this. Still, thanks for the concern I guess. By the way, you guys getting some progress on your side?"

Quote from: To home base
Base, Miyamoto here. We're about finished mapping our zones, we'll be heading back now. Simus, we will start preparing the next fase of exploration once I'm back there, ok? Miya out.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13379 on: April 07, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »

Stop Bishop from wasting a drone and go map around the motion anomaly the old fashioned way.

Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1256