Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945984 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: Rock:3, HMRC:0
« Reply #6495 on: August 16, 2012, 05:09:26 pm »

Stasis will at least make it so that whatever's in him can't possibly endanger us through him, and as I said, he needs quarantine as soon as possible.

And I'm sure the AI will be stingy, but hey, we will have sent the lab boys and the doctors something to do while waiting on samples from further in here.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: August 16, 2012, 05:10:47 pm »

"Stasis is about a two day walk from here. While I can't stop you from attempting, I'd rather not lose another member of the team for three to four days.

I do have an idea though if you insist on pursuing your attempt to stasis him.

I was tinkering with suit settings the other day and I came across a temperature setting on my MKII suit. If we act quick, we could flash freeze Thomas and whatever is inside him. I'm not sure if the docs could repair what was left of him, but it's one idea"
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: August 16, 2012, 05:14:58 pm »

Stasis will at least make it so that whatever's in him can't possibly endanger us through him, and as I said, he needs quarantine as soon as possible.

And I'm sure the AI will be stingy, but hey, we will have sent the lab boys and the doctors something to do while waiting on samples from further in here.

"I don't see any particular reason to be concerned about him being a danger to us, at least unless we touch him. Which I assume we'd have to do for long periods to get him back to the ship.

And you keep saying he needs to be quarantined, but I really don't see why. Yes, this is unusual and concerning, but how does that immediately equal quarantine? Are you talking about his health, our safety, scientific rigor, or something else?"

"Stasis is about a two day walk from here. While I can't stop you from attempting, I'd rather not lose another member of the team for three to four days.

I do have an idea though if you insist on pursuing your attempt to stasis him.

I was tinkering with suit settings the other day and I came across a temperature setting on my MKII suit. If we act quick, we could flash freeze Thomas and whatever is inside him. I'm not sure if the docs could repair what was left of him, but it's one idea"

"That is... well, maybe. Even more last-ditch than cutting his head off, though. Speaking of which, I'm now curious about this thing's response to temperature; the fact that it's in his body is interesting, since that's quite a bit warmer than ambient here."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: August 16, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »

A flash freeze could work, but the now-corpse still needs to be taken back. And it may result in him needing a full cybernetic prosthesis, depending on how much damage is done to the cellular structure. It might even make him too far gone for that, and then what? Remember, an average human body is around two-thirds water. If all of that water freezes, it will cause massive trauma to the cells in which it resides, that it to say, all of them.

His health, our safety, and the AI will determine how much science gets done to find out what's gone on.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: August 16, 2012, 05:32:33 pm »

"That's not an answer."
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: August 16, 2012, 05:39:00 pm »

True. Freezing blood in his veins will likely destroy his brain as well, so I don't think it is a good idea. Now then, if we cautiously let out all (or most) of his blood and only then froze him... Still, we don't know how this 'ink' would react to drastic decreases in temperature and I'd rather not experiment with my patient's life at stake if there is any other way.

As much as I would like to come with you, I agree that I would only be a hindrance due to my injuries.
As for the medic - me being out, and Faith less than happy about the trip, I believe you should ask May for assistance. Though given their relationship, I'd be fairly surprised if she didn't insist on going with him even if there was a medic already attached to the group. Am I wrong, Miss... - ah, it seems I don't know your surname - May?

As for the stasis, I believe it will work as intended. What I actually fear is how that 'ink' will react to the physical laws of our universe - so yes, wrapping him in blanket or something like that is probably high priority.

Oh, and about quarantine - I believe Travis may have a point here. I would not go as far as saying Thomas is dangerous to us now, but he might become, and thus we should proceed with caution - both for his and our sake. I am sure Thomas - the one I knew, even for such a brief period of time - would not wish his teammates harm, and thus would agree with taking some necessary precautions.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: August 16, 2012, 06:02:03 pm »

As to why he should be quarantined? Thing about it for a moment, Faith, just think for a moment what just happened to him. He is now host to an unknown entity. This is not a good thing. Tell me which is better, we get him out of here and to the ship so that the professionals can figure out what's in him now, or we bring him along, he could keel over and die at any point, he could lose control of himself at any point, he could be fine until we get back to the ship, where he will be put in quarantine if I know any standard scientific and medical practice for an unknown condition, which I do, firsthand, and then we find out that it could have been reversed, but we didn't get him there in time.

Which do you think is the better option, for us and for him.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6502 on: August 16, 2012, 06:07:41 pm »

Actually, I suggest Thomas's immediate transportation back to the shuttle, into the safety of the stasis. Certainly the most safe method of preserving your life I can think of now. Things they can do on board are akin to miracles, if you ask me.
And if it turns out you, Thomas, don't have that much time, we can try one of those extraction methods people suggested - right on the way there.

If anyone is concerned with the time, I am fairly sure we can afford the delay. I'll take the blame (and the 'cution) if you want.

Examine Thomas, and think about how dangerous those things might be to him, judging by what they have already been able to do as well as what they couldn't (or didn't want to).

My... it is really that bad as I supposed.

[Med:1+1]
Uhhh...well alien something is coursing through his gooey bits...that might not be good...or maybe it is? Um.
"Take two Aspirin and call me in the morning."

Try to sense if anything feels different, other than the pain. Any prescences, any extra senses or changes to the previously existing ones.
"I'd appreciate that a lot. Just make sure to restrain me or something."
[will:1]
The world around you fades black and yet you still see. Outlines of your teammates around you, standing over you, their mouths belching light, blinding yet wonderful. Every sound, matter how slight, glows and ripples like waves on a pond, shimmering light of sound coating the room and illuminating everything.

"I'm concerned with time, but not for the mission, for whatever's going on with Thomas. If he's still fine after a day of being dragged through the sand back to the shuttle, wouldn't he probably be okay in general?

Plus, if we're trying the tower noise, we can only do that here.

Thomas, are you in pain? And ignore what Travis said; just because it's inside you doesn't mean it's mindraping you to its purposes."

Examine Thomas' mechanical parts for signs of ink infestation, and examine biological parts for signs of damage.
(His mechanical parts are internal.)
You start yanking off parts of Thomas' suit and examining the skin beneath. The fluid is flowing out faster now, coating him and wriggling with obvious life. It's flowing from his mouth and eyes as  well and his breathing is growing shallow.

Gorat fights the urge to strike a ninja pose for no discernible reason. He simply isn't equipped to do so right now, after all.

"It's my understanding that some mortal conditions can turn bad very sudden. So, Thomas holding out for one day doesn't necessarily mean he can hold out for two."

Keep keeping lookout.
You continue to stand at the gate, trying to ignore all the panicked yelling from upstairs.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: August 16, 2012, 06:09:51 pm »

Looks like it just got worse. Thomas, are you still with us? Has anything changed?

((If we get him back and the researchers on the ship come up with something that allows you to "see" like that, I'm going to put it into my next suit mod, for sure.))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: August 16, 2012, 06:18:11 pm »

"I-I am blind, and yet I see. I think I've got echolocation. Oh shit. It's messing with my head. Make it stop."
MAKE IT STOP.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:20:04 pm by Spinal_Taper »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: August 16, 2012, 06:21:46 pm »

Turn away from him.

What- You mean you're seeing like we theorized they do?

Everyone, move away from him. If he's seeing like that, just our talking is probably blinding him.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: August 16, 2012, 06:22:28 pm »

"Don't turn! It's how I can see."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: August 16, 2012, 06:31:40 pm »

Turn back towards him, but at an oblique angle, so as not to be facing him directly.

You know, I must wonder here; if we take him back into reality without something soundproof around him, that echolocation vision he's just gotten from it could end up blinding him or worse. But it is necessary that we take him back, as I've said, it's for all of our sakes...

Thomas, can you describe to me in detail how you're seeing, right now? Is it like a light, or something else?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: August 16, 2012, 06:32:47 pm »

"Oh shit, this is definitely progressing right now.

We've got two options- sit back and wait it out, or activate the tower and wait it out. I will say that if he can see like they do... well, that sounds like it's merging with him, not eating him alive or anything. That's fairly good, considering the options. At least, it's pretty good right now."

Stand back a bit, wait for things to happen.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: August 16, 2012, 06:48:12 pm »

"Well, it's like every sound is a ripple of light. When you talk, light just emanates from your mouth in a ripple. Where the sound goes, I can see. Also, Faith? I don't want this to happen. I don't wanna be allergic to light, and I don't wanna be controlled by an alien."
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 1256