Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3944678 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #12855 on: March 13, 2013, 03:39:09 pm »

"Bugger. I can't see what the thing down there is, but it's brighter than the sun to me."

Toss some more rocks and try and find another gravity well. Look into it.
You huck some rocks around, hoping to find an area of high gravity somewhere near the base. But you don't find anything; seems that besides that crater this area is fairly safe.

"Idiots... Got to watch where they use their welders. Ahh, it can wait, I can smell the grub from here!"

Head to the barracks and take off my helmet for a bit so I can eat something appetizing, but don't drink any alcohol yet. Propose the names Fool's Hope and Paradise Lost for the base while I'm there.
You head to the party in the barracks and grab a corndog. You put forth your own ideas for the name of the base while munching on the reheated goodness.

((C'mon, I proposed a good name! And "Party Heaven" sounds like something a frat house would be referred to as...

Here's another: Aquitaine Base))

Set the holoprojector to display the map of the area we are to explore, the map of the base open within where the base is on the map, and set it to continually update as new regions are explored.
You set the projector to display the area map and the base map and to automatically update when the master map in the base's computer is updated. However the master map itself will need to be updated manually.

Well its a start... thinks Auron uploading a copy of his program to the first drone he can lay his hands on hopefully it will find all of the instantly lethal distortions

place updated drone outside then set it to map the current sector and then proceed outwards in a clockwise spiral.
The drone takes off into the air and begins mapping, slowly spinning out across the barren ground, avoiding the gravity seep. It returns a while later, having mapped everywhere near by. It seems to have pinged Michael on his way out of zone 1 as well. You send the data back to the base for someone to update the main map with.

((Aren't there stasis pods in the shuttles?  If so, how long would they keep someone safe for?))

((Also, good thing the party is in the barracks so Lars can attend and work at the same time.))

"The name should have divine significance, so that we retain the favor of the gods!  Perhaps "Steve's Glory" or a prayerful name such as "Algis's Rest?"

Climb in the vent if possible.  If not, see if sticking head in will work.  Failing that, reach around with arm.  Failing that, try the helmet trick Flint mentioned.
You shove your arm into the shaft and fish out a data pad. Huh, whats that doing in there?

"odd"
Continue as before after notifying team, when I reach maximum safe operation peramaters return with new info after scanning / videoing weird blue glow source.
You continue on your path. You've walked maybe 9 miles at this point; your feet are starting to hurt and you've started getting thirsty. The blue glow is getting more intense, although it's source isn't distinguishable. It just seems to be coming from everywhere and nowhere, like a luminous blue fog hanging over the cracked and blacked stone. As you get farther in, maybe 11 miles at this point, things get stranger. Your radio system begins to malfunction and your visor is shot through with bursts of distortion as well as continuous minor glitches. You feel an all over tingling sensation and the radio is crackling and popping.

Your radiation sensor is reading fluctuating levels, sometimes within the level the suit protects, sometimes slightly too high. Nothing imminently dangerous yet.

Go to party and perform robot dance.

((From tomorrow I will be away from home for a week. I should have internet access where I am going, but maybe not a lot of time to actually check the thread. Just so you guys know. :) ))

You head to the barracks and do the biggest, clankiest robot dance ever. Beep boop beep.

Once Flint is done toasting, go stand on a chair or something and give an inspirational speech.

((The dreaded speech roll! Who knows what mysteries it might reveal today; shall it be an akward silence, a motivational speech, a bunch of farting noises? Who knows!))

After that, go to the planning room and bring up an image of the whole planetoid.

'Alvin, please calculate how long it would take to make a trip around the planetoid, do this for someone on foot as well as for the various vehicles we have here. Also do this for the battlesuit's rocket boosters.

Oh, and give me the technical specs of the automapping drones, and the details of the communication landlines we can set up.'

My votes for the name
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[speech:5-1]
You give a stirring and inspirational speech about how you can all survive this mission if you just remember to be smart, plan ahead and always bring extra underwear. The speech is a bit undercut by the fact that you spend a few minutes of it just listing off all the ways in which you can die here...but over all, not bad.

That done, you head to the planing room and take a seat at the table.

NO DATA EXISTS FOR FULL PLANETOID MAP OR ANALYSIS. DATA EXISTS ONLY FOR ZONES APPROVED FOR EXPLORATION. IN ORDER TO REACH THE FURTHEST POINTS OF THESE ZONES IT WOULD REQUIRE WALKING AT 4MPH FOR 16 AND A HALF HOURS. VEHICLES WOULD REQUIRE SIGNIFICANTLY LESS TIME. THESE TIMES ASSUME STRAIGHT LINES AND DO NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT POSSIBLE DETOURS AROUND HAZARDS. THEY ARE ALSO ONE WAY. BATTLE SUITS WOULD NOT HAVE THE FUEL REQUIRED TO REACH THE OUTER LIMITS. THE ROCKET BIKES MAY REACH THEM IN A STRAIGHT LINE BUT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RETURN.

((I say we call it the Rats Nest.))

look for any more major files.
[Aux:1+1]
You can't make heads or tails of the data here.

(("A Waste of Time" sounds like the perfect name for this whole mission. :P My preference for planetoid names are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And I don't think the name really needs a name as such.))

Keep fiddling about with the datapad. Try writing that parallax distance detector program again. It should allow gauging relative distances to objects on a moving camera feed by comparing the speeds at which objects move past the viewport.
[aux:3]
You don't break it, but you don't make it any better either. You just sort of fiddle around, change this part, rewrite this bit of code, edit that one, but the end result is the same as what you ha to begin with in terms of ability.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12856 on: March 13, 2013, 03:48:39 pm »

Try again then head to party.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12857 on: March 13, 2013, 03:52:35 pm »

[aux:3]
You don't break it, but you don't make it any better either. You just sort of fiddle around, change this part, rewrite this bit of code, edit that one, but the end result is the same as what you ha to begin with in terms of ability.
((I assume that means Anton now has one, but it barely works. Because last time he tried to code it his fingers assaulted him. :P
Spoiler: Anton's charsheet (click to show/hide)
))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12858 on: March 13, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »

"What've you got there, Brother Lars?"

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12859 on: March 13, 2013, 03:58:14 pm »

((Anyone heard of space clash the final frontier?  Also I wonder what we will encounter out there.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12860 on: March 13, 2013, 04:01:09 pm »

((I'm thinking more along the lines of Solaris, but I'm a bit biased by reading lots of Lem recently.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12861 on: March 13, 2013, 04:15:47 pm »

((Blue glow... well, if it's what I think it is, then he might want to check his atmosphere, because Cerenkov Radiation doesn't work without one, unless he's managed to find an anomaly where the speed of light is slower than the speed of light in a vacuum.

Then again, if there were enough radiation to glow in the atmosphere, then he would be dead already. Without atmosphere and just an anomalous zone, it gets worse.))

Update the master map with the data from the returned drone.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:27:41 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12862 on: March 13, 2013, 04:16:53 pm »

"Well, it seems safe around here. Aside from the crater, there doesn't seem to be any anomalies around here. At least not gravitic ones."

Head back to base.

((My outlook is colored by STALKER SoC.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12863 on: March 13, 2013, 05:29:28 pm »

head to the party, eat and stuff then go looking for yellow paint
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:09:57 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12864 on: March 13, 2013, 05:38:53 pm »

Head to party, join in on the robot dancing.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12865 on: March 13, 2013, 06:26:33 pm »

((Action post coming after the vote is concluded. I didn't count some of the suggestions that weren't clearly votes. How should we do this? Add all the votes up? Layer 1 votes only with the rest used as tie breakers? Some other overly complicated system?))

((EDIT: Can't believe I misspelled my own name. Also, if Canary Base gets chosen I'll name all vehicles after birds. Stork, sparrow (this one's definitely for the rocket bike), macao, raven... Except of course if Bishop, being in charge of the Garage and all, wants to name the vehicles himself.))
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:22:37 pm by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12866 on: March 13, 2013, 06:32:45 pm »

((If Canary Base is chosen, I will be making bird puns whenever possible.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12867 on: March 13, 2013, 06:36:41 pm »

(("Y'all eat like a bird!" *BITTEN IN HALF BY ALIEN MONSTER*))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12868 on: March 13, 2013, 06:38:56 pm »

If canary base is chosen im going to paint yellow stripes on EVERYTHING
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12869 on: March 13, 2013, 06:47:05 pm »

(You could assign numbers to each level and add them up. Like, each L1 vote is 3 points, each L2 is 2, and L3's are 1; or maybe L1 would be worth 4. Your call.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 1256