Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3944151 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #12810 on: March 12, 2013, 03:18:50 pm »

(I'm going to guess it'll be abstracted.  I doubt anyone wants to simulate the minutiae of living in a space base for a year.)

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12811 on: March 12, 2013, 05:45:45 pm »

Attend the party, grab something to eat and drink. Think about what the year may bring.
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12812 on: March 12, 2013, 07:19:48 pm »

Remove my helmet and then play host/waiter.

"Okay dear sirs and madams, the party iis on. Please come to the barracks even if you're not in the mood to eat or drink, for I am certain our glorious leader would wish to make a speech before we begin exploring. Also, feel free to suggest a name for the base. The best suggestion will be awarded with extra rations for 2 days."

((I want this to be an opportunity for us to sit around and make any important decisions.

EDIT: Everybody knows that the best decisions are made in a festive mood while drunk.))
You take off your helmet, throw a towel on your arm and begin parading around the room holding a platter of reheated mini-burrios. You even draw a snooty little mustache on your face.

Head to the barracks.
"How long will our rations last, anyway?"
You pop over to the barracks and lars fuck with vents. Hope he's using protection.
Lars nodded at the grate, then replied over the radio.  "I shall be there shortly to ask blessings at our gathering after I fulfill the task our leader set us to."

Go get tools to open up the grates, then open it up.
You go to the garage and grab a screwdriver. A little bit of hard screwing later and the grate is off. You still can't see anything blocking the shaft, but since it turns about a foot in it might be hidden back there a bit farther.

"theres gotta be some way of detecting these distortions..." thinks auron staring at the console frustration, when he gets an idea "perhaps the mapping drones have sensors better suited to the task at hand..." and heads to the garage where he downloads their core programming to his datapad and begins work on the ncessary modifications.

reconfigure my copy of the mapping drones programming to avoid areas that "distort" the lidar beam and mark them as large holes in the map.
[aux:1+1]
Harbgarbel damn you technology!
[aux:1+1]
SHIZNAZCAL CURSE YOU COMPUTER MAGIC
[Aux:4+1]
Everything went better then was expected. They can now detect high gravity distortions, though there is a threshold for the detection rate and it's fairly high when compared to the threshold for how much gravity you can survive.

Quote from: Message to: ALVIN
How much did the previous team manage to explore before entering the gravimetric anomaly and perishing? And what all was taken with them in terms of supplies, vehicles, and/or drones?

CURRENT MAPPING DATA FOR LESS THEN ONE OF 49 DESIGNATED SECTORS. LITTLE EXPLORATION ACHIEVED AND OR ARCHIVED. LISTING OF TAKEN MATERIALS UNAVAILABLE.

"Ok Lars, you seem up for it and I can't exactly fit in there with these rockets on. Let me know what you find, I'm going to check out the morgue and get that fixed before going to the party."

Bishop turns and walks off, keying on his radio to broadcast to everyone.

"If we really are doing this whole party thing, I think it may be best if we leave all our guns outside the barracks. Guns and booze do not go well together. We can leave them in the armory, and I'll give them all a look over to see if there's anything that needs maintenance.

Also, Alvin can't talk like Steve can but I've provided him with all our frequencies so he can send us text messages to our wrist computers and suits."

Give Lars a bit of encouragement and then head off to fix the morgue's problem. Get Alvin to help me if need be.

Using ALVIN's help you manage to figure out that someone, probably during the construction of the base, severed the main power cable to this room. Power is now being routed through a backup connection. Both wires are behind a metal panel that's welded in place.

directly away from the entrance, also have a stock of pebbles and lob them in front of me to detect any gravity anomalies
Ah well that would be south west- the crater is to the east, by the way.

You take off on foot, wandering toward the south west and the rather eerie blue glow coming from the area. It takes quite a while on foot, throwing pebbles as you go, but before you even reach the area where the glow is coming from your suit starts throwing off radiation warnings. They're small, at this distance, but they're slowly rising as you get closer.

"A thought occurred to me. There should be copies of the previous team's helmet camera feeds stored on the base's computers. Team leader, can you make the AI bring them up?"

Improve the optical tracker program. While I'm at it, make it capable of "leading the target" based on the followed object's movements and a given time offset.
[aux:3+1]
You manage to get the program to lead targets, but only if they're moving forward at a steady speed and on a reliable path.

"MY EYE! HOLY SHIT! FUCK. Owwww. Okay, there is a big bright ball of alien artifact down there. Or something weird. Oww. I dunno what it is, but it's like a tiny sun down there. Anybody see some welding gear?"

Head back to the garage, and look for a welding mask, or welding goggles. If found, head back to the crater, and look again.

((Hey guys, I found the cause of the gravity well.))

Your Visor automatically darkens in response to light, so if it doesn't protect you, goggles or welding gear won't.

Look at mapping data then file through anything else major after then put rest of data back.
[Aux:3+1]

You manage to open up the map.

Looks like the white spot is the base and that gray black thing is the crater. Everything else is just plain unmapped.

"Alvin, please make the suit video logs of the previous team available to Anton.

Oh, and Anton, if you find anything in those logs, please report what you find to me first, okay?"

Send this message to everybody:
Miyamoto here. Flint has gone through the trouble of setting up a little welcoming party to kick of our year-long stay on this dustball. While you are of course all free to come or not, I think this would be a great moment to get to know your fellow teammates better. Planning and preparation is going to come tomorrow, tonight try to enjoy yourselves a bit. Keep it decent though, no hangovers or bar fights or I'll lock away all alcohol for the remainder of the year.

Have fun,
Miyamoto

Go to the barracks, get something to eat and drink.

((Probably best start this 'party' next turn, seeing how everybody is still doing stuff right now.

@ PW: how will you handle eating and sleeping on this mission? Will you keep track of those, and if so, will you tell us when we need to do either?))
You leave the mission leader's room, closing the door behind you, and grab a cup of something strong and a...well it seems like an eggroll but it's filled with some sort of sugary stuff. Oh well, not bad.

Attend the party, grab something to eat and drink. Think about what the year may bring.
You grab a whine glass filled with something significantly stronger then wine and a microwaved mini-burrito. Considering the Food from the mess hall on the ship, this stuff is a delicacy.

(I'm going to guess it'll be abstracted.  I doubt anyone wants to simulate the minutiae of living in a space base for a year.)
Food, water, bathroom etc. will be mostly abstracted, assuming you're either in a place with it readily available/ you bring some with you. Keep in mind that this world is very large in terms of ground to cover so you probably want to bring some food and supplies with you while you wander about. As per sleep, you'll only need to worry about that while out and about in the world. How often depends on how far you go. For instance walking to one of those outer hexes could take days, one way, so you'd need more food, more sleep and inherently end up walking through all the places between here and there.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12813 on: March 12, 2013, 07:46:34 pm »

Propose a toast to our glorious robotic overlord (Miyamoto) and to the success of our endeavor.

((Since nobody proposed a good name, I'm taking initiative. Last chance to propose a different name, cause next turn I'm spraypainting the name on the entrance. I'll also mark the vehicles so that should something unfortunate happen, we can tell whose debris that is.))

((Also, laughed with the mustache.))

((Edit:Changed the name after receiving threatening phonecalls by a frat house and being followed by black vans with government plates popular demand.))

((Edit2:Removed the name entirely, since it turns out people are still discussing names.))
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:08:17 am by Parisbre56 »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12814 on: March 12, 2013, 07:54:37 pm »

"Bugger. I can't see what the thing down there is, but it's brighter than the sun to me."

Toss some more rocks and try and find another gravity well. Look into it.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12815 on: March 12, 2013, 08:00:41 pm »

"Idiots... Got to watch where they use their welders. Ahh, it can wait, I can smell the grub from here!"

Head to the barracks and take off my helmet for a bit so I can eat something appetizing, but don't drink any alcohol yet. Propose the names Fool's Hope and Paradise Lost for the base while I'm there.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12816 on: March 12, 2013, 08:02:39 pm »

((C'mon, I proposed a good name! And "Party Heaven" sounds like something a frat house would be referred to as...

Here's another: Aquitaine Base))

Set the holoprojector to display the map of the area we are to explore, the map of the base open within where the base is on the map, and set it to continually update as new regions are explored.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:28:51 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12817 on: March 12, 2013, 08:25:10 pm »

Well its a start... thinks Auron uploading a copy of his program to the first drone he can lay his hands on hopefully it will find all of the instantly lethal distortions

place updated drone outside then set it to map the current sector and then proceed outwards in a clockwise spiral.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12818 on: March 12, 2013, 08:29:36 pm »

((C'mon, I proposed a good name! And "Party Heaven" sounds like something a frat house would be referred to as...

((Trash is never a good name. On any language. And please excuse me for being unfamiliar with frat house naming customs, as I never had to interact with one.  It was either that or the "loonie bin", since I didn't want to use one of the names I had proposed without votes. I needed something neutral yet descriptive.

And that name seems nice.))
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:37:16 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12819 on: March 12, 2013, 08:32:33 pm »

((Aren't there stasis pods in the shuttles?  If so, how long would they keep someone safe for?))

((Also, good thing the party is in the barracks so Lars can attend and work at the same time.))

"The name should have divine significance, so that we retain the favor of the gods!  Perhaps "Steve's Glory" or a prayerful name such as "Algis's Rest?"

Climb in the vent if possible.  If not, see if sticking head in will work.  Failing that, reach around with arm.  Failing that, try the helmet trick Flint mentioned.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:40:25 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12820 on: March 12, 2013, 08:51:19 pm »

Flint.chuckled as he watched brother Lars struggle to fit in the vent. "Had a bit to much to eat brother Lars? I thought men of the cloth were supposed to abstain from such things, he he he." He could never pass on the opportunity to make a concealed fat joke. It was all good natured however. "Anyway, if you can't fit in the vent, why don't you remove your helmet and use your faceplate cam to see whats in there?"

((No stasis pods in sight. Steve had them removed. It's all there in my notes.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12821 on: March 12, 2013, 09:39:57 pm »

Lars paused a moment.  "Blessings on you, brother.  Is it not written that wisdom is to be found in the elders?"

((Ah.  I had thought of the camera trick, but Lars isn't clever enough for that.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12822 on: March 12, 2013, 11:39:25 pm »

((Trash is never a good name. On any language.))

((?

I never suggested anything like trash...

... Okay, it was another mistranslation, it should mean 'The Wastes', not 'The Waste'. Changes the meaning entirely.

Also, modify Aquitaine to Zeitlos Aquitaine.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12823 on: March 13, 2013, 12:13:43 am »

((Naaaah, too much of a mouthful for my liking. It needs to be simple but work with our surroundings as well.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12824 on: March 13, 2013, 01:38:12 am »

((But we won't have to walk one way, right? We've got shuttles and rocket bikes and other stuff for that. Because if we do, I'm totally making Bishop assemble some bicycles. ;D

Also, maybe we should have the squares on which we know there is nothing interesting colored differently from the squares we haven't reached or investigated yet? Would make this simpler.

Of all the proposed names, "Fool's Hope" is actually among my least favorite ones. It sounds derogatory of all who have a good impression of the planet so far (me, for example). And you kind of need to answer the questions like "What are they hoping for?," and "Who are these fools?". Same with "Paradise Lost". You would need to asnwer the questions "What was this paradise like?," "Why was it lost," and so on. The book and the Stephen King novel(Got names confused) answered those questions, and the "Cape of Good Hope," or whatever it is called, is clear what it is referencing. It's got amazingly terrible weather. These names, on the other hand...not so much. 

"The Wastes of Time", on the other hand, make sense. As does "A Waste of Time". Not sure what you mean by "Zeitlos Aqutaine".))
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:45:01 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1256