Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62

Author Topic: (Old Post-Apocalypse thread).  (Read 217703 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

and yes...sacrifice food and weapons to get a securitron at start...quickly recoup the lost food off of wild animals.
Hmm... maybe need some wildlife that is bad hunting, too little meat and fat on them! A common vermin, cat-sized maybe, that is everywhere and hurts your hunting by being quick and low-meat (or poisonous in all its tissues. But don't want player to micromanage "dump poisonous animal's butchery products)

Maybe not_butcherable!! poisonous vermin pufferfish-snakey-irradiatedrat.
"Knobbly rat" or "tainted rodent" or "Foul beetle [itemcorpse:some chitin]" that just. is. inedible.

So if a securitron is The Best you can bring on embark, I guess the embark points available should be: "securitron 1500pt, plus four basic tools plus 20 food 40 drink" so if you dont bring any pets/bots, your starting kit could be like 6 rifles + lots of other tools.

ps. best trapcomp should be: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Auto_axe auto axe or steel saw. Designed to cut metal beams stronger than bots.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:09:17 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

Tried a graphical test fort, surface plus channel-mining. Some notes for Deon:
- cave vermin silk too cheap at 7 per bolt of cloth.
- premium bighorner pet should cost more than other bighorners.
- pet securitron keeps shooting at nothing, shows with my custom announcements. Plasma bolt should be more damaging.
- eyebot and securitron dont have icons.
- bin made of scrap pile logs looks just like "X" the letter.
- trapping skill for scrapyard? VERY important to mention, otherwise nothing gets done!
- buzzards seem too slow, they need fleequick and speed 700.
- "make bronze bars (use ore)" is this intended, of a side effect of scrap metal ore?
- treated chitin/raw chitin names are often too long.
- eagle skin, to delete.
- how to reduce price of rock mechanisms? Everything made of rock should be of lower value, maybe.
- way too cheap to buy securitrons at 1200 per cage(five 240c mechanisms), maybe more like 4000.
- prewar crates could give dirty magazines. And a toy called "paper money" "bonds & obligations" "insurance contract" "damaged prewar clothes".
- "make <space>pewter bars"
- birch is a funny square icon.
- the dotted outline on built stone walls is visually distracting.
- hmm, prewar crates seem too plentiful!! I have like ten and only one caravan has visited.
- eyebots should not saw people's heads open! They have a electrozapper or a small laser!
- nerf citizen punch and kick, since they're Not Dwarves.
Edit: always get aluminum scrap (or aluminum coffer/chest) when opening a prewar box.

My worldgen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My embark file, with some trapping added: (needs 3000 pts world, was trying to measure "one securitron embark")
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:54:23 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Wow, you are the best. Thank you, I will address these issues ASAP.

Not all creatures have icons yet (including robots), I need someone to make them (or do them myself).

Where did you get "eagle skin"? Because I removed leather from all birds, so their skin is useless.

- "make bronze bars (use ore)" is this intended, of a side effect of scrap metal ore?
What's wrong with it? It's vanilla reaction.
P.S. Ah, you mean you can use scrap metal with tin to make bronze? Yep, I left it as it is for now, but I will remove it.

- hmm, prewar crates seem too plentiful!! I have like ten and only one caravan has visited.
Noted, I will make them scavenge-only item.

- trapping skill for scrapyard? VERY important to mention, otherwise nothing gets done!
First post, all new reactions with new skills.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:41:54 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Lo and behold, here comes "Post-Apocalypse 0.97".

New:
- Graphics for all creatures.

- Attacks now have 10% chance to circumvent a helm and hit the head directly (simulates face/eye hit).

- New types of dust storms, with worse effects.
- Working in chemical lab is unhealthy now.

- Pre-war crates no longer avaliable from caravans.
- Crates require a toolbox to be opened in the Inventor's workshop (the toolbox may be destroyed).
- Opening a crate always gives an empty aluminum coffer.
- Pre-war crates renamed to "pre-war tech crates", added medical and military crates.
- Medical crates may have med-x and crutches.
- Military crates may have rifle ammo and rifles.

- Added crossbows and pump-action guns. Crossbows are bad vs armor.
- Now you can make crossbows only (by default).
- Pump-action guns shoot pellets which are weaker than bullets but do not require gunpowder to make.
- To get pump-action guns, rifles and ammo, you have to research gunsmith's forge blueprints.
- You have to scavenge or make (in chemical lab) gunpowder to make bullets in gunsmith's forge.
- You can now rarely find gunpowder when scavenging.
- Removed vanilla toys, added many new toys (toy cars, toy trucks, bobbleheads, snow globes, radios, gears etc.).

- Scrapyard has a new reaction "wood to coke" now, to burn logs only (leaves scrap piles intact).
- The reaction to burn 5 wooden blocks into 5 fuel now has moved into scrapyard (from smelter).

Fixes:
- Reworked all vermin. Simple bodies, no more "fly brain".
- Removed skin/leather from birds, no more "parrot leather jackets".
- Fixed metal bed crafting in Furniture Workshop, it works now.
- Added joints to quadruped creatures which missed them.
- All trees have correct "dead" state icons.
- Treated chitin renamed to chitin.
- Speed upgrade and the FLEEQUICK token to some birds.
- NOT_LIVING to robots to prevent reanimated robots.
- Removed bronze/other alloy making from ore, use bars now.
- Fixed color for scrap piles, the bins should look like bins, also changed adjective to "scrap", so it's now "scrap bed" instead of "scrap pile bed".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

In the next release I will add cannibals (early attacks, like beastmen in Genesis) and I will replace vampires with brain parasites. Prepare for more Fun.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

- Pre-war crates no longer avaliable from caravans.
- Military crates may have rifle ammo and rifles.
- Removed vanilla toys, added many new toys (toy cars, toy trucks, bobbleheads, snow globes, radios, gears etc.).

- The reaction to burn 5 wooden blocks into 5 fuel now has moved into scrapyard (from smelter).
maybe also decrease the rate of tech crates coming from scrapyard. Test in a jungle, grab 100 "trees", have few few too many crates then.
- lets say a 6% chance of gunpowder from military crates.
- toys..? Hmm, how about "15 toys plus one crate required to build a 4x4 museum workshop" and in there can train mechanical skill or leadership (playing with dolls).

- I thought 1 log pile gave 5 blocks at sawmill. How about 5 blocks -> 1.5 fuel. (sawmill outputting some saw dust powder? But where could it be useful? Glue+sawdust= bad fibreboard)
(searches... primitive glue... "pine pitch glue", hide glue (boil & strain leather bits, at tanning shop I guess), ) http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/hideglue.html
(pine pitch, charcoal, fibers, beeswax)

In the next release I will add cannibals (early attacks, like beastmen in Genesis) and I will replace vampires with brain parasites. Prepare for more Fun.
Cannibals, eh? Their weapons could be... machetes, butcher knives, crossbows. Leather aprons on them, maybe not. Cannibals might come riding on some giant rats.
Cannibals gotta have the babysnatcher tag. And trances.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:16:10 am by TomiTapio »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

The military crates could have less drop rate of rifles, but ammo is fine IMHO. A mediocre gunner wastes around 15-25 bullets to kill a dog. 80% of them miss, 20% hit, and only 1/4 of those which hit do major damage. So you need a LOT of ammo to make gunners useful, and I consider the current rates fine.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile

The military crates could have less drop rate of rifles, but ammo is fine IMHO. A mediocre gunner wastes around 15-25 bullets to kill a dog. 80% of them miss, 20% hit, and only 1/4 of those which hit do major damage. So you need a LOT of ammo to make gunners useful, and I consider the current rates fine.
How about... crossbow bolts miss a lot as usual (regular skill gain on xbow), but rifles being a superior technology has a shorter learning curve (just point and shoot) so that rifle skill goes up 3x faster than crossbow.
Todo arena test 15 swordmen vs 15 riflemen.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I tried it. 1vs1/2vs2 riflemen own swordsmen, but in big groups they target single people/miss so swordsmen own them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Give me ideas for more research projects.

Right now I've planned Sewage Plant (turns refuse into drinks/edible brickets), Biorefinery (turns refuse into fuel), VR pods (train skills) and Water Processing Plant (makes drinks from air, requires water chips to run).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lecksand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing I noticed when I embarked on a Good site is that Chthonians aren't quite... threatening. My hunter took dozens of potshots at it, and all it did was flee from him. Seems rather disappointing coming from an eldritch abomination.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Ah damn it, thanks for reminding! I should make dangerous critters getting enraged, it will make them attack. Next release tonight :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn Deon, you are blasting away! Thanks for that. Very much appreciated!

EDIT: As for ideas ... Perhaps a Block Factory (coloured blocks, crystal blocks, ...) and a Droid Bay (construct droids)? Also something that creates flux. Crematory? Does the VR Pod do all the skills? Perhaps a chemical factory that does transmutation (lead to gold, ...)? Just blurting out some ideas here.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:43:23 pm by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why not have a few reactions at the chemical forge that create instantly vaporizing stones that can give various effects to the person who inhales it.  For example it could turn them psychotic, give them flesh eating diseases, transform them into cannibals (vampires basically, feeds on sleeping people, but not immune to starvation and dehydration?) and even have like 1% chances to give them seriously beneficial effects, think hulk but controllable for the person?
Could use various gems or types of stones like pitchblend and have an experiment on self usage.  I know that for one I would send countless useless migrants in there if 1 in 50 became a super soldier.
Nom nom nom

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Hmm, a research lab which researches diseases, strains and superpowers? Sounds awesome. The current chemical lab only makes gunpowder/drugs, I will definitely expand that. Also the current chemical lab makes people who work in it only nauseous and dizzy (and sometimes makes them to vomit), that's not a very bad effect :).

Brick factory sounds great. Also you don't need to "create flux" now, because green glass can replace flux in many reactions now, and you scavenge the glass.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62