Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 62

Author Topic: (Old Post-Apocalypse thread).  (Read 217658 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07] ☢ Post-Apocalypse ☢ (v.0.92f) - Graphics + DOOM
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2012, 02:17:37 am »

As I said it was from one of Steampunk movies I watched, so if you don't like it, I will find a better name.

Once prospecting is in, you will get more income. Also I have not tweaked mineral occurance, so it's the same as vanilla, do not complain :). If something, it must be more rare.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07] ☢ Post-Apocalypse ☢ (v.0.92f) - Graphics + DOOM
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2012, 08:07:58 am »

Just get the ASCII version and apply any other tileset, it works!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07] ☢ Post-Apocalypse ☢ (v.0.95) - Research, more graphics
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2012, 08:35:53 am »

- Most of creature graphics are complete for the graphics version.
- "Scrap metal" ore: you can get iron, copper or zinc from it.
- Tannable chitin.
- Multiple fixes.
- Removed bird leather.
- Many new reactions.
- Drugs and chemical lab.
- Inventor's workshop.
- Introduced research system (holodiscs, blueprints). Furniture workshop, chemical lab and sawmill require blueprints first.

I still need to finish some sprites, but it's closer to the resolution.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07] ☢ Post-Apocalypse ☢ (v.0.91) - Speech and engravings
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2012, 09:23:30 am »

Some robots:

Land Scouter: A spider-ish constuct (Ex. Ten Legs, three different sensers, "mouthparts" to pick things up) with the ability to spew a paralizing foam (Webs).

Puffball Another floating robot, this shoots stunning bursts of not-plasma. Round-ish, with three functioning limbs connected to a nod at the bottom. Was first a novelty at malls and department stores, later used for crowd control and such. Think Mr. Handy size. Might broadcast "positive programes".

Android: Possibly a night creature/vampire replacment, these guys would "replace" the human it's impersinating. "Remember, if you notice your neighbors acting oddly, than that might mean that they are android spies!" Hence, the search will be on to root out the occasinal reminent of these infiltrators.

Pyrocumulus: Airborn sentry rigged to shoot blasts of fire, realy. Has the same basic shape as the Puffball, but has only two arms and has a set of antenna that can be removed to kill it.

Thunderhead: The big daddy of all the other cloud-bots, this thing is roughly the size of a Gorgataur and deals out blasts (or preferably waves Dragonfire-style) of plasma. However, it is slow and cannot fly without the four thrusters located on its body, after which it would be grounded. Presumably utters such wonderful things as "Stop, fools!" and " Die, Commie Scum!".

Land Scouter: spider+metal tissues+CPU got it.

Puffball & Pyrocumulus:These are similar to eyebot variants I sent Deon...he's prolly still mulling them over.
Android: replace vampires...nice...reminds me of "Snatcher".  bioroids killing humans and hiding among their friends and families...loved that game

Thunderhead: Megabeast flying robot with Flamethrowers...well...I guess we could slap some thrusters on the Behemoth...

Oh that reminds me, Deon, here's the cleaned up Behemoth class robots.  I left the description fluff in on these...and still have the fluff for all the other robots if you want them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2012, 09:29:34 am »

I will definitely include those.

Robots are really hard to kill. It's like "terminator" when you have many robots :D. I don't want to overcommit.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2012, 09:40:06 am »

heh...yeah, even with the CPU weakspot and having them bleed-out their hydraulics...they are still really badass

wait...what about a material weakness?  like in werewolves...but make it something like magnetite (and add the ability to make clubs out of it) or something you can make in a workshop(I dunno...some kind of gold/copper alloy with mysterious properties...wink wink nudge nudge).  Is there a way to make them have a interaction with a negative syndrome kick in when their antenna or primary sensor is broken?

Oh, and Behemoth Mk-I still gets caught in its own flame blast...and still ignites its own oil tank after a few consecutive blasts...and I still think that is hilarious.  The only megabeast you can fight better by running away.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:43:47 am by JediaKyrol »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2012, 09:42:40 am »

Oh, special alloys with EMP/magnetic abilities! Now that's an idea for the future, thank you.

Although I think in the way DF works, we will have to weaken the materials of robots drastically, and then apply the material strength, because it multiplies different values for everything but a specified materials. If someone could make a small research here or tell me how it fully works, I would be happy.

P.S. It's also a good idea to replace the "tough materials" of other stuff like Deathclaws and outsider creatures with material strength, and make special materials which harm them. Orichalcum could be good vs outsiders, some toxic metal - vs mutants.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:45:11 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2012, 10:30:30 am »

Robots are really hard to kill. It's like "terminator" when you have many robots :D. I don't want to overcommit.
In Genesis we have
[SELECT_TISSUE:SKIN][RELATIVE_THICKNESS:7] --boost its toughness.
the same might be useful on apoc beasts and robots.

some toxic metal - vs mutants.
Oh, won't somebody think of the poor little moleratties! (molerat repellant stick)

What is this material strength new stuff you mention?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:33:11 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2012, 11:06:22 am »

Werebeasts (and vampires) have a special token, it makes their body materials twice stronger vs everything except for a specific material.
"Twice" value can be changed to whatever. We could make a creature stronger to everything but one material, or weaker to everything but one material.

Thus we could use normal materials without shaeningans with new TOUGHSTANDARD_MATERIALS etc., and specify materials which work normally and do not have reduced damage (or don't specify), the new system is much more flexible.

Also the 0.95 has a bug: you cannot research furniture workshop.
I will release 0.96 soon, I've added pre-war crates which you can find/trade, and then when you open one you can get some scrap metal and a rare chance of a technology holodisc.

I've also added an arc furnace which can smelt iron, copper, gold, silver and aluminum (from bauxite) without fuel, because it's built with blueprints AND a plutonium rod (a very rare find in pre-war crates).

I've also rebalanced plants: no more "cabbage everywhere". And a new plant, banana yucca. The release will be out soon, I need to test it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

frumpyandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2012, 11:18:50 am »

Awesome mod, thanks for the hard work! I'm not a DF expert, and I'm brand new to your mod, so apologies if these are stupid questions, but:

1) Is there a way to turn off auto-pause and center when there's a dust storm?

2) I noticed there's no cats. Has anything replaced them at eating up vermin?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:47 am »

1) It should be somewhere in announcements, I will check it.
2) Iguanas work for cats. All felines died off or were eaten by giant rats :(.

I've added "scrap piles", they are "trees" which cannot be used in sawmill. You can scavenge them for better income than from crushing rocks, so surface scavenging is much more profitable than underground prospecting. The release should be out this hour.

Also there's much less normal wood now. No more big forests.

The best settlement location is now somewhere in the woods. Lots of scrap and some trees to burn for fuel/cut into planks using the sawmill.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

- Scrap piles replace most trees.
- Scavenging of scrap piles in the scrapyard (trapping skill).
- Many new reactions, fixed research.
- Arc furnace (smelts without fuel, requires a fuel rod).
- Plant rebalance, better plant spawning, added banana yucca plant.
- A few other tweaks here and there.
- A few other tweaks here and there.
- New tiles for the tileset.
- Pre-war crates (instruments) with technology and scrap metal which can be opened in "inventor's bench" workshop. Scavenge or trade for them.
- Glass making reactions in the furniture workshop.
- "Empty water bucket reaction" in scrapyards and stills (pump operating skill).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I've updated the first post, explaining all new reactions and jobs required to perform them. Also I forgot to add that adventurers can now make drugs too.

I should add "game tips" section in the first post.

1) Embark with a securitron/mr. Gutsy.
2) Start by building scrapyards and scavenging scrap piles (replace most trees).
3) Find pre-war crates using scrapyard and open them in "inventor's bench" workshop.
4) Get holodiscs and fuel rods from pre-war crates (low chance). Research blueprints in "inventor's bench" workshop using holodiscs to unlock new buildings.
5) Remember that scrap metal is your main source of metal, so surface scavenging nets a lot of metal.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so...gonna change "axe" to "scavenger's kit" or something like that?

also...new stuff..so much awesome.

and yes...sacrifice food and weapons to get a securitron at start...quickly recoup the lost food off of wild animals.  (buying a "trained" mr. gutsy and assigning it to a hunter also works if you don't want to take the risk of starting with bare stocks.)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

so...gonna change "axe" to "scavenger's kit" or something like that?

also...new stuff..so much awesome.

and yes...sacrifice food and weapons to get a securitron at start...quickly recoup the lost food off of wild animals.  (buying a "trained" mr. gutsy and assigning it to a hunter also works if you don't want to take the risk of starting with bare stocks.)

Axe is a hacksaw now. Fits well with the future addition of rippers and chainsaw.

Just buy a mr.Gutsy, it's more than enough. Securitrons are extremely deadly, but not needed in the beginning.

Right now I am playing a fully aboveground fort in a forested (junk :D) area. More than enough materials for building and smelting. Research a sawmill early and it's good.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 62