Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<  (Read 48234 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<
« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2012, 10:32:48 am »

Welp, I can't figure out a way to get this to work. Damn. :/

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 22, 2012, 02:13:52 pm »

I've taken Ethereals out with standard guns and smoke. They've got pretty low HP, middling armour and a 20%? damage reduction, I believe. Stun damage works well, and damage ramp-up from being close means even a Pistol can take one down with a point blank auto burst.

Mutons are harder (to kill, but not to beat), but I've beaten Muton terror missions with Lasers before. Again, close range/point blank fire wins. Heavy weapons ignore/bypass some armour, along with having higher damage, so the Heavy Lasers are pretty handy there.

It'll be much harder vs a Human player, however.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 22, 2012, 02:27:42 pm »

Mutons are a bitch to kill.

One time I'd just gotten a new base up and running and since I hadn't yet manufactured enough weapons and armor for the soldiers there, they were mostly equipped with standard rifles. Some had personal armor, but there were no power or flying suits and most had no armor at all. There were a few heavy weapons and lasers mixed in, but, again, the majority were stuck with regular rifles.

Multiple times I unloaded entire magazines into a single muton before it went down. It was crazy. They annihilated my dudes with ease.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 22, 2012, 03:35:59 pm »

Maybe I've had bad luck with it, but Ethreals can take 4 tank rockets and keep walking. Same deal with mutons.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 22, 2012, 03:54:25 pm »

Really? I can kill Mutons with plasma rifles and a laser tank. Even laser rifles can do the job. Heavy plasma can kill in two shots.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2012, 04:43:42 pm »

Muttons are not that tough.
They die somewhat easely to Heavy plasma and don't resist that much to laser rifles.
But yeah killing them with a dumb rifle might be somewhat problematic.

Also sometimes when on sloped surfaces explosions MAY do no damage.
I'v seen many occasions where diract blaster launcher hits on a sectoid standing on a sloped surface did NOTHING to him.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:10 pm »

So, quick update. We haven't made much progress due to my busy schedule, but right now its late April. Right now my opponent has a battleship, mutons, and heavy plasma.

I have lasers.  :-\

Flying suits also make up my arsenal. I am currently in the process of manufacturing a firestorm, but I don't believe it will be enough against a battleship. Ground assault would be suicide. I am also researching plasma weaponry. So. Any ideas? I haven't given up hope yet, not in the slightest. However, I'm not sure how I am going to go about destroying a battleship. I'm also worried about the potential for base assaults, he has already taken out one of my bases. However, if I can destroy the battleship, that's a nonproblem.  I am confident in my tactics, and my opponent has agreed I tend to have more sound strategies on the ground. I just need to get on a more even playing field. Once plasma research is done, maybe, but I'll still be outnumbered. I estimate I probably have a few weeks until I start getting overwhelmed. I'll be hitting a monthly funding then, so those funds will be important.

Does anyone know the tech requirements of a plasma beam? If I could secure that, I could surely take down a battleship, assuming its better than a laser cannon.

My opponent has also not given me the opportunity for Psi, so there's also that. I could potentially raid his base and snatch an etheral, but I don't think you can carry corpses, unfortunately.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2012, 09:58:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure plasma cannons are heavy plasma -> plasma cannons. Plasma cannons are the best human-available fighter weapons (actually I think the laser cannon does more damage but has an incredibly short range). Of course, this is only from Ufo Defense, but unless they changed it too much it should be the same.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2012, 01:05:52 am »

1 - Can you guess what's crewing the battleship? Lasers are surprisingly effective against everything up to Mutons in my experience, and you've obviously teched hard on the armor side of things, so as long as you keep medikits around, you should be able to avoid getting too many soldiers killed.

2 - You can carry corpses and stunned enemies with you, if I remember the original game correctly. However, you need a living etheral, a corpse won't get you very far psi-wise (unless TTS has changed the tech tree a bit.)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2012, 01:50:18 am »

You do need the live alien to get Psi, yes. But, as that I haven't researched Ethereals, they currently don't exist. Only high ranking sectoids have Psi, and none of my sectoid crews have a Leader/Commander. He might be able to get them by hitting the Cydonia supply ship in a little while, but that's currently staffed by Mutons. No idea if/when Ethereals turn up on that.

And the Battleship's full of Mutons, with a couple of Silacoids and Celatids thrown in for good measure. We had a small battle (Cut short by crashes), and Mutons being excellent at everything meant I lost one to random placement, he lost a Tank to painfully accurate Heavy Plasma/Celatid fire, and one Personal Armour'd soldier to pursuit. In addition, Mutons being as armoured as a Power Suit and with 2.5x Human Health, even a full turn of long range laser fire didn't bother the recipient.

Mutons are seriously engame, however. I only have them because my Abductors seem to be invisible to Radar. Also, they eat 2x as much food as snakemen, so each mission that BB goes on costs me 44 food.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2012, 04:51:31 am »

Analysis of the above tells me that the Battleship can't operate alone for long.  I'm not sure if the Battleship can even harvest the amount of food needed to power it, and if so, I doubt there is much of a overage.

So, it might be more prudent to avoid the Battleship for the time being, and hit other ships for now.  In that case, I'd suggest more radar/intercept bases, defended mostly with Rocket Tanks (cause they only cost money and their weapons could probably still scratch Mutons).

Anyone not armed with lasers should have a heavy cannon with Armored Piercing Ammo.  Not the most effective weapon, but it does the most damage out of any conventional weapon, so it might at least tickle the Mutons.

I'm not sure how fire effects Mutons, maybe some burning might help?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2012, 06:04:43 am »

I'm not sure how fire effects Mutons, maybe some burning might help?

If a unit is standing in fire at the end of its turn, it gets knocked unconscious in TTS. At least, that is for most units. Mutons seem to be immune to at least 1 stun bomb attack, so yah.  :-\

I'm pretty sure plasma cannons are heavy plasma -> plasma cannons. Plasma cannons are the best human-available fighter weapons (actually I think the laser cannon does more damage but has an incredibly short range). Of course, this is only from Ufo Defense, but unless they changed it too much it should be the same.

TTS must be different. The next two ship weapons are plasma beam and fusion ball.

Rocket tanks are expensive. It would be much cheaper to build a living quarters plus 10 soldiers with equipment. Though it would take a bit to build, I suppose.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2012, 06:16:21 am »

plasma cannon is plasma beam, they seem to be used interchangeably everywhere to refer to the same thing. :)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2012, 07:00:27 am »

Well, if TTS is like standard X-Com, then you need living soldiers anyways.  The idea of tanks is that they can take more hits than unarmored humans and come with rocket launchers.  I don't know your manufacturing situation, either.  If you have sufficient lasers and armor for everyone, then that is probably better than rocket tanks anyways.

I'd still say that attacking all non-battleship craft is your best bet, choke out our enemy!

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2012, 09:23:52 am »

Well, if TTS is like standard X-Com, then you need living soldiers anyways.  The idea of tanks is that they can take more hits than unarmored humans and come with rocket launchers.  I don't know your manufacturing situation, either.  If you have sufficient lasers and armor for everyone, then that is probably better than rocket tanks anyways.

I'd still say that attacking all non-battleship craft is your best bet, choke out our enemy!

A long time ago someone crunched the numbers on tanks v rookies. The result was rookies make far better(more disposable/less expensive) scouts even accounting for equipping costs. Plus, they can travel down narrow passages. Also, you can fit four rookies in the ship for every tank you don't bring(and you still come out ahead on cost). But alas, this was for UFOD, not TTS.
Signature goes here.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17