Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<  (Read 48224 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<
« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2012, 12:00:43 pm »

I always used rookies with a standard pistol/laser pistol and grenades (preferably armed) as a scout.
It was !Fun!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:24 pm »

I'm one of those people who savours every virtual human lifeform he can (terror missions with AC-HE not withstanding), so the idea of willingly sacrificing rookies is reprehensible to me. Though I can definitely see the math there to justify the poor ethics if you fancy yourself so cold and calculative.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 27, 2012, 12:59:42 pm »

I believe in giving as many soldiers as so desire a chance to test their mettle against the alien threat and (in all likelihood) die a hero.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 27, 2012, 01:45:31 pm »

I believe in giving as many soldiers as so desire a chance to test their mettle against the alien threat and (in all likelihood) die a hero.

Yup, that is why I only hire Vikings.  Valhalla for all!

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 27, 2012, 04:47:47 pm »

One thing I discovered: Laser Tanks are godlike up until mutons start coming in droves. Even then, they still sorta work. But laser tanks can 1 shot snakemen from a couple dozen squares away. If you can, always keep at least one tank on hand on ground missions, laser or otherwise.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »

Still chugging along on our inverse game. The pace is getting a lot slower due to 1hr long battles, and my internet occasionally disconnecting us, but we're in May now.

I have found that Mutons, at a long range, can take 2 heavy plasma shots and a laser rifle shot and still come out on top. That is very scary. It makes reaction fire useless, at least at long ranges. Whereas I thought I had the advantage at long range(due to having better perception), it is now the opposite, and I should be now setting ambushes behind cover for said Mutons. The low accuracy of heavy plasma doesn't help either.

I have, however, taken your guys advice, and currently am intercepting a supply ship from Cydonia. It has Mutons. However, no matter how many casualties I take, if I can take this out, it will (likely) extremely limit his ship construction and force him to stop doing Battleship/Muton missions until he can get his alien food back up. I would assume, anyway.

I also learned that you can't detect "sub bases" just by interceptors. You have to capture a leader unit. Disappointing, but eh. Did I also mention mutons can take two stun shots? Yah.  :-\

Two Questions for you folk that I do not dare test: Can a Muton take a heavy rocket shot? I assume it can, but it never hurts to ask. Can a Muton take an alien grenade? If not, how many would it likely take? I have tons of Alien grenades, and they are much more accurate than heavy plasma, so I would gladly use them at long range.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:31:27 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2012, 05:49:13 pm »

I think a human in Personal armour can take a single Alien 'Nade, so a Muton will walk out of the smoke cloud looking at worst slightly singed. You'll likely be looking at 3-5 for a kill. I can't imagine Heavy Rockets will do much more than cover a Muton in smoke.

Other things we've discovered are that Chryssalids are no longer an Instakill on humans; their attack actually has to kill the Human with damage to turn him into a Zombie. This meant a lucky escape for Orb's Captain, as Flying Armour can block 3-4 hits from a Chryssie, and I only had the TU for 2.

Also, Celatids are awesome. Orb tried for the BB again, and both Celatids were in position to Reaction Fire people coming out of the Ranger. 4 Casualties in quick succession, and it's dust-off time. Just wish the numbers weren't random; Silacoids are awful in comparison.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 03, 2012, 07:49:08 pm »

Ah, good to hear that the Chryssalids aren't identical to vanilla. That would have just been plain cruel.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 03, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »

The bad news is that Snakemen are. Have fun hunting down each little egg. Those fuckers can get where you're sure you checked and then proceed to rape half your squad while you look at each corner *again*.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #219 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41:06 pm »

The bad news is that Snakemen are. Have fun hunting down each little egg. Those fuckers can get where you're sure you checked and then proceed to rape half your squad while you look at each corner *again*.
Snakemen didn't lay eggs in vanilla. Unless I managed to somehow completely miss it all these years (which is technically possible I guess)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2012, 08:46:10 pm »

Snakemen didn't lay eggs in vanilla. Unless I managed to somehow completely miss it all these years (which is technically possible I guess)

It was in the UFOpedia, but not the actual game.
Signature goes here.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2012, 06:02:57 am »

Took out the supply ship, only 25% casualties. I call that a win.  :)

I have enough elerium to last me until the end of the game, whenever that might be.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2012, 09:11:45 am »

Does TTS end the same way UFO did?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2012, 02:52:22 pm »

Nope, it's just destroying all Alien Bases in the world. A pretty tall order, as the Main base has 15 main units and 5 terrors, split between all researched races, and any constructed have 17+4 of the race that built 'em.

I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2012, 10:16:22 pm »

From what I hear this is a free game

I cant seem to find the download anywhere, could someone link it please?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17