Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975921 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #4230 on: August 05, 2013, 12:53:55 pm »

What the hell? The forums ate my post and only left Wha out of the original message! Wordivore forums are evil!

Sooo, second attempt:
You know what would be cool? Dwarf Fortress mod.
The idea would be that when you for example click to mine something, you dont mine it, but send one of your seven starting dwarves who has a pickaxe to mine it. You would have a menu from where you can choose the different designations, and you would be able to look at NPCs and enable/disable their labors.

But, even though this would be cool, it would be a hellish work, since:
A) Npcs, there are tons of em.
B) Random stuff generator, i dont think will be easy.
C) Would be incompatible with pretty much everything due to changes.

All of this has been done before as a Minecraft mod, although maybe in a smaller scale than you envision: Millenaire does villages and NPCCs, and the AI is already in Thaumcraft golems and the clones mod.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4231 on: August 05, 2013, 02:02:10 pm »

That and the fact that every ten or so pages someone asks, say they are starting to make, or pines for such a mod. If it was easy we would have it. There are enough programmers, designers, artists, 3d modelers, and whatever else you may need for such a project on Bay12 that like Minecraft. Its just that it took DF how long to get where it is? Yeah and that was with his own code and not having to fight against someone elses code which occasionally changes. You want DF in Minecraft and you will need probably at least 5 to 7 years to get to where DF is now if your lucky (+~1-6 months for every update to vanilla Minecraft) and probably nowhere near as close.

Now let me double dip on this page and put a DF in Minecraft desire in. I think taking the idea of DF's workshops and putting them into Minecraft would be interesting. 3x3 multiblock structures to make stuff. Working metal requiring not only fuel but needing to find an anvil in a dungeon so your stuck on stone tools and leather gear till you explore some caves and some other cool stuff. That and Magma furnaces.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: August 05, 2013, 02:38:45 pm »

I guess TFC does that quite well already.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: August 05, 2013, 03:08:48 pm »

I guess TFC does that quite well already.

But in realism angle, not gameplay angle. TFC feels a bit like Unreal World meets Minecraft.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4234 on: August 05, 2013, 03:33:58 pm »

Yeah, I don't want realistic, I want Dwarfistic.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: August 05, 2013, 04:26:56 pm »

Minions mod was kinda like that, you send some minions to make a straight tunnel, or a staircase to bedrock, and so on.

Then Minecolony let you make houses for villagers, and one of them is a miner (but with a really crappy AI, he'll make a hellish maze and get lost half of the time, even worse try to navigate it yourself).

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: August 05, 2013, 04:44:56 pm »

Minions mod was kinda like that, you send some minions to make a straight tunnel, or a staircase to bedrock, and so on.

Then Minecolony let you make houses for villagers, and one of them is a miner (but with a really crappy AI, he'll make a hellish maze and get lost half of the time, even worse try to navigate it yourself).
Speaking of which, is this minions mod updated to last version of Mine Craft?

And what other mods would allow me to do something like that? Some of the digging in minecraft is goddam repetitive, and I'd rather automate at least some of it.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: August 05, 2013, 04:46:22 pm »

Computercraft can do damn near everything, especially with mods that add peripherals. All you have to do is be willing to write in lua.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: August 05, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »

Well, for mining in bulk, theres several mods and their respective quarry mining thingies.

For more complicated but less giant holeness, you could program a computercraft turtle (or a swarm of them) to mine a pattern for you.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: August 05, 2013, 05:47:21 pm »

Theoretically, you could build a turtle factory and program the turtles to use it in order to selfreplicate and mine out the whole world at an exponential rate, building chunkloaders of some sort when the reach the limits of loading.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: August 05, 2013, 06:00:22 pm »

Theoretically, you could build a turtle factory and program the turtles to use it in order to selfreplicate and mine out the whole world at an exponential rate, building chunkloaders of some sort when the reach the limits of loading.
Well, by that point I might as well uninstall minecraft, since I'm clearly not interested in actually playing it. :P And Computercraft is nice, it's just... Well... I'd rather not have to learn how to program to use it, although I guess I'll give it a try. :P

And what about names for the ones with the quarries?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: August 05, 2013, 06:42:22 pm »

Well, there's Project Worldeater.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: August 05, 2013, 06:46:07 pm »

Buildcraft, Industrialcraft², Minefactory Reloaded and Thaumcraft 3 all have automated mining tools. But unlike the Computercraft turtles, you'll need the infrastructure to actually power the quarries and/or manufacture their components.

If you don't consider building and designing a factory spewing out an infinite swarm of world-devouring robot cubes playing, you're not quite ready for automated Minecraft. ;) It's the equivalent of flooding the world with magma.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: August 05, 2013, 06:50:55 pm »

It would actually be quite interesting to see a village of turtles turtling.  Lumberjack turtles finding and chopping down trees, farmer turtles farming wheat and shearing sheep, blacksmith turtles crafting and smelting charcoal, mining turtles mining, generic villager turtles milling around. All of them coming back home at night and going to their houses to fuel up and wait for day. All the while, they're chatting and you can see the log if you open the interface of one.

Wow, now I really wish I could code lua well. That would be awesome.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4244 on: August 05, 2013, 06:55:00 pm »

Can turtles make and use mystcraft books? Because I prefer my calamities to be multiverse spanning. If I can't make a turtle swarm that eats all of everything I will be sad. If they can then the only other things I would need is something that lets a turtle check an items ID and I think something to color enderchests.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 326