Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975849 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #4245 on: August 05, 2013, 07:01:41 pm »

Buildcraft, Industrialcraft², Minefactory Reloaded and Thaumcraft 3 all have automated mining tools. But unlike the Computercraft turtles, you'll need the infrastructure to actually power the quarries and/or manufacture their components.

If you don't consider building and designing a factory spewing out an infinite swarm of world-devouring robot cubes playing, you're not quite ready for automated Minecraft. ;) It's the equivalent of flooding the world with magma.
It's playing alright. Just not playing Minecraft. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: August 05, 2013, 07:04:44 pm »

Can turtles make and use mystcraft books? Because I prefer my calamities to be multiverse spanning. If I can't make a turtle swarm that eats all of everything I will be sad. If they can then the only other things I would need is something that lets a turtle check an items ID and I think something to color enderchests.
I think it's the Misc Peripherals add-on for Computer Craft that adds turtle teleporters, but the problem is that you have to place them before the turtles can use it as they can't otherwise move between worlds.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: August 06, 2013, 12:03:37 pm »

It would actually be quite interesting to see a village of turtles turtling.  Lumberjack turtles finding and chopping down trees, farmer turtles farming wheat and shearing sheep, blacksmith turtles crafting and smelting charcoal, mining turtles mining, generic villager turtles milling around. All of them coming back home at night and going to their houses to fuel up and wait for day. All the while, they're chatting and you can see the log if you open the interface of one.

Wow, now I really wish I could code lua well. That would be awesome.

I could do that

I'm sure it'd be laggy as hell

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: August 06, 2013, 08:51:27 pm »

Also, that latest version of FTB with the OpenPeripherals mod is awesome. You can use Computercraft to display wirelessly directly onto your HUD. Yeah. Custom UIs through computercraft. And it adds compatibility for tons of other mod items; so you can do things like have an onscreen display of your base's power reserves. Or set up a security system which actually flashes alerts onscreen. And with that data, you could also have turtles know how much power you have, ect and so forth. SO. DAMN. COOL. Seriously, look at the number of hooks it has: http://www.openperipheral.info/openperipheral/documentation
So many mods. So many hooks. SO MUCH AWESOME.

And might I draw your attention to this? http://www.openperipheral.info/openperipheral/documentation/ic2/nuclear-reactor
It can check heat levels and inventory of nuclear reactors. I smell automated MkV regulator systems.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:55:37 pm by alway »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: August 11, 2013, 08:56:02 pm »

Ok.... So I made a divine RPG server and discovered something very annoying.

Throwing wrath disks makes your character crash the server.

I tried loading the world in single player to despawn the disk, but no luck. Is there a way to fix this? Maybe deleting the part that contains thrown objects? Any ideas?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4250 on: August 11, 2013, 09:09:38 pm »

Ok.... So I made a divine RPG server and discovered something very annoying.

Throwing wrath disks makes your character crash the server.

I tried loading the world in single player to despawn the disk, but no luck. Is there a way to fix this? Maybe deleting the part that contains thrown objects? Any ideas?
Can you change the item id of the disk? Maybe that would remove them from the world?

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: August 11, 2013, 11:08:55 pm »

Question

Assuming I had 0 experience with any of the current major/popular tech/magic mods (lets say everything in the FTB ultimate pack for example):
How many hours would it take to sufficiently familiarize myself with all the the tech mods to utilize EACH of them well enough to be a useful citizen (with each one) in SMP?

Been out of the loop for a long long time now for much beyond vanilla (All my friends would play for some reason).
The effort required to get back into high-tech minecraft keeps getting higher.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: August 11, 2013, 11:17:23 pm »

I myself usually just explore the documentation for a bit when first discovering the mod/looking it up (but not for a set period or to find everything) to give a bit of information to start on. When I play it, I usually just leave the wiki open in the background for when I need to look up something.

It's worked for me so far.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: August 11, 2013, 11:20:58 pm »

Question

Assuming I had 0 experience with any of the current major/popular tech/magic mods (lets say everything in the FTB ultimate pack for example):
How many hours would it take to sufficiently familiarize myself with all the the tech mods to utilize EACH of them well enough to be a useful citizen (with each one) in SMP?

Been out of the loop for a long long time now for much beyond vanilla (All my friends would play for some reason).
The effort required to get back into high-tech minecraft keeps getting higher.

100 hours? It's really probably just easier to open up the wiki when you need to learn about something.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: August 12, 2013, 12:08:59 am »

Watching videos is good too. Duncan's Laboratory, for instance. afaik, he covers most of the ftb ultimate mods, at least the most useful ones.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: August 12, 2013, 01:43:16 am »

The best videos to learn mods from are hands down Direwolf20's. He covers basically every popular mod and then some, except for gregtech because gregtech is.... Well it's gregtech.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: August 12, 2013, 04:21:18 pm »

The best videos to learn mods from are hands down Direwolf20's. He covers basically every popular mod and then some, except for gregtech because gregtech is.... Well it's gregtech.
What about gregtech? I guess it's infamous, but why?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: August 12, 2013, 04:24:54 pm »

What about gregtech? I guess it's infamous, but why?

It makes Macerators require 3 diamonds instead of 3 flint, for one. Solar panels are a tech level above that.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: August 12, 2013, 04:30:22 pm »

Gregtech is a "difficulty" mod that extremely heavily modifies IC2 (Industrial Craft 2) to make damn near everything much more expensive. It's infamous for actually modifying other mods than the one it's an expansion for and even Vanilla(The term for the base game when referring to minecraft). It adds some neat machines, but if you want to accomplish anything with it basically everything costs double what it would have, minimum. Not a fan of it myself.
It makes Macerators require 3 diamonds instead of 3 flint, for one. Solar panels are a tech level above that.
Tech levels, plural now. Macerators are just slightly more expensive, still same tech level. To make a solar panel, you need: A electrolyzor, an assembly machine, and a blast furnace. With compressors and extractors and macerators as T1, Assembly machine is T2, Electrolyzor is T3, and Blast Furnace is T4, maybe even higher depending on how you define tiers.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4259 on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:03 pm »

Plus you now need half a factory complex just to stick a bit of metal to a stick.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 326