Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976222 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2430 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:13 pm »

You make covers by cutting any block with a saw, repeatedly.
Er...saw?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:24 pm »

"Microblocks" are made with 3 sticks, 2 iron, and use teeth of either 2 iron, 2 gems, or 2 diamonds.  When you're using any microblocks, you get a nice semi-transparent overlay of where it will be placed, it makes for some really nice edgings, thin walls, ways to hide wiring, or create furniture.  Not to mention creative anti-mob doors.  If you use two covers in the same tile, it can become too thin for many mobs to move through, and make a "player only" entrance without using a physical barrier.  I find they're also nice for controlling the flow of water.

NINJA: I thought those were just using the crystals.  Still, meh, that doesn't seem like a -huge- appeal.  Personally I'd rather have taint.  I still want to see a container explosion.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2432 on: August 20, 2012, 11:41:59 pm »

NINJA: I thought those were just using the crystals.  Still, meh, that doesn't seem like a -huge- appeal.  Personally I'd rather have taint.  I still want to see a container explosion.
Nah, it uses the crystals to draw vis from the aura. And quite a substantial amount compared to the crystal smelting value, and taintless too. Doesn't work when vis runs out in the aura though.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: August 20, 2012, 11:45:23 pm »

Well, I had to drive the wisps away. Had seven of the buggers following me around, smashing crops and shoving me, nearly off the edge once or twice. Put away all my stuff and punched one to see what would happen. Now they're all gone, and I hope they come back :(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: August 20, 2012, 11:46:56 pm »

"Punching Wisps" is the new euphemism for "suicide"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: August 20, 2012, 11:47:19 pm »

"Punching Wisps" is the new euphemism for "suicide"
Pretty much :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: August 20, 2012, 11:53:02 pm »

I fought one with an iron sword (zombies are so generous!) and my big gripe is just how fast they attack.  Yeah, they hurt and all, but if one manages to get you into the water, you really can't climb back to shore at all.  And if it's above you at all, as the flying creatures are wont to do, then the knockback is MUCH further.  I didn't expect them to just die, but at the same time I expected to be able to actually fight them.  As it is, they're massively dangerous due to quick knockback.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know what mod adds the wheat blocks, and what function they server?

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: August 21, 2012, 12:00:39 am »

Anyone else think having an official Bay12 Tekkit server would be awesome? I love Technic as is, but I'm willing to sacrifice some mods for the ability to play multiplayer.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2438 on: August 21, 2012, 12:03:10 am »

Anyone know what mod adds the wheat blocks, and what function they server?
Not sure what mod, but they're basically just used as more compact storage for wheat.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: August 21, 2012, 12:04:22 am »

Well, got some good news and bad news regarding my SkyBlock Myst hub.

Good news is that the little sand island on the map is, by fortune or design, an area with high vis (Thaumcraft). Those little fairy lights have spawned and are hovering around my steadily-expanding sky island, providing pretty lights and bringing some chiming bell music to the mix.

The bad news is those fairies are deceptively solid, and have a tendency to uproot my crops, destroying the seeds. I've already had to use NEI once to give myself some melon seeds, and they destroyed a pumpkin plant immediately after I harvested it.
Set up a thaumcraft seal (lightning preferably, although fire, the seal that pushes enemies away and other misc ones) in the middle of your crops, if they come near then they will get zapped and either die or leave. If you combine one that kills them with one that grabs their items (and a third to automatically grab the plants when they finish growing), then you will have a nice little automatic farm).
I fought one with an iron sword (zombies are so generous!) and my big gripe is just how fast they attack.  Yeah, they hurt and all, but if one manages to get you into the water, you really can't climb back to shore at all.  And if it's above you at all, as the flying creatures are wont to do, then the knockback is MUCH further.  I didn't expect them to just die, but at the same time I expected to be able to actually fight them.  As it is, they're massively dangerous due to quick knockback.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know what mod adds the wheat blocks, and what function they server?
Yeah, the knockback is pretty nasty, ideally you should have a means of ranged combat (even a basic bow and arrow works) before you attack one. You can do it with melee, but there is a pretty decent chance you will fail or spend 5 minutes running at them trying to hit them.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: August 21, 2012, 12:08:42 am »

What materials do seals require? All I have access to at the moment are stone/cobble, wood/planks/sticks, charcoal, a small amount of precious, irreplaceable dirt, and exactly 10 (again, irreplaceable) obsidian. Until I get sugar cane to farm and plenty of books for traveling to new Ages, I'm stuck with low-tech, replaceable vanilla materials.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: August 21, 2012, 12:12:06 am »

Tekkit without EE would be fun.  I think EE just kinda... devalues, everything.  And in multiplayer, it totally removes the need to trade or anything.

So yeah, I don't have the capacity, but it'd be very fun.  Worth noting though that Forsaken1111 is already hosting a server that's almost tekkit.  Just, good luck finding all the mods to run to join it and getting the right versions :s

NINJA: I use muskets on wisps now.  One-shot.

Seals require gold nuggets, vis crystals (different types for different effects), and nitor.  Which is made with glowstone and redstone.  So in total, you will need at least 1 gold bar, 1 gold nugget, 2 redstone, 1 glowstone, and 1 crystal of your chosen color, to produce a seal and produce the runes that attach to it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: August 21, 2012, 12:21:13 am »

What materials do seals require? All I have access to at the moment are stone/cobble, wood/planks/sticks, charcoal, a small amount of precious, irreplaceable dirt, and exactly 10 (again, irreplaceable) obsidian. Until I get sugar cane to farm and plenty of books for traveling to new Ages, I'm stuck with low-tech, replaceable vanilla materials.
Seals will probably take a while then.
A seal takes a redstone+gold+25 vis
(25 vis is 12.5 reeds early game)
The runic essences (which basically tell the seals what to do): Require for 2: Nitor+Gold Nugget+Appropriate Crystal+15 Vis
You need to infuse both of them in an infuser.

You can make a basic fire seal with 1 seal+1 fire essense, or a seal that blows away with 1 seal+2 air.

Seals are quite costly, but they are more then worth it in the long run (since with a good automatic seal combo (fast growing+harvesting+put in nearby chest), a large reed farm (aka, 13X13X13) can harvest a stack of reeds every few minutes), and being able to have seals to stop enemies from entering your house without even needing a door is great.

But yeah, if you are stuck with vanilla stuff, then you don't have any real ability to make seals (I forgot you were starting on a skyisland while I was typing up my post, and thought that you already had access to other ages).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: August 21, 2012, 01:19:18 am »

Well, that was a shock O_o

Built a simple mob tower, basically a dark, enclosed cave with a hole in the floor. Mobs spawn, fall through the hole 25 or so levels, hit a platform, and die. Easy drops.
Except something in the Technic pack (perhaps Mo'Creatures?) adds a tougher variety of zombie. These are almost identical to the normal ones, except with red eyes. I was watching my tower work, enjoying a brief cascade of zombies (and the resultant crunches), when suddenly I take a hit! Red-eyed zombie in my face, he hits me again, and I fall to my doom.
So yeah, the tower I spent a good 45 minutes and several stacks of cobble isn't high enough. This'll be !!FUN!!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2444 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:09 am »

Thaumcraft Zombies. They're stupidly tough compared to regular zombies.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 326