Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154904 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #420 on: May 12, 2012, 10:08:25 pm »

The events of 14th Timber, 56

The fortress guard were on high alert.  Well, most of them were.  A few had been siphoned off for some secret mission in the caverns, some exploration party that Champion Graknorke was putting together.  The rest of them were at the fortress entrance.

A group of goblins - Swords-goblins, led by their whip-wielding master - had already shown up at the entrance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They had already managed to kill a Giant Sparrow that had been patrolling the entrance.  The poor creature had managed to sound the alarm with a fierce chirping, before being cut down by one of the goblins.

The entire group of goblins had then immediately charged into the cage traps set out to catch wild animals, and had been captured to the last goblin.

The military commanders of Brightwater were not fools.  They had seen the goblin tactic of sacrificing the first wave on the cage traps, then ambushing the dwarves who went out to retrieve the cages.  They sent the military out first - keeping them close to the wall, while the marksdwarves were ordered up behind the fortifications to cover them.

Ash the marksdwarf had been assigned to the northern fortifications.  He shielded his eyes against the glare, once again envying the militia commander for her famous artifact crossbow with the amazing polarized gemstone optics, and looked out for movement.

Something stirred in the forest.  Something walking through the woods towards the fortress walls.  He carefully sighted along his weapon, trying to make out the shape approaching.  Quickly he realized it wasn't a goblin.  Goblins didn't approach singly and without trying to hide like this figure was.

"Liaison from the mountainhomes, approaching from the north" he called down to the other soldiers.

He turned his attention away from the liaison, scanning back through the woods, and then spotted the goblins.  They were hiding in the forest, in camouflaged cloaks, and were right between the liaison and the fortress entrance.

"Goblins!  Six of them, north of the wall, in the path of the liaison!",  he called down.  "Quick, get their attention or the liaison's dead!"

Ash stepped out onto the walkway, and fired at the goblins.  They turned his way, looking away from the liaison, and opened fire.

Maybe this wasn't such a great idea, thought ash, as the arrows flew towards him.  One grazed his left hand, ripping flesh and splattering blood.  He ignored the pain, firing back.  His shot pierced a goblin's chest.  The goblin staggered and wheezed in pain, but was still able to return fire.  This shot struck Ash directly in the head, piercing his brain.

Ash slumped backwards, collapsing onto the stone surface of the wall.

On the ground, Fritz the military commander charged heedlessly into the group of goblins.  The goblin leader had fallen quickly before her hammer, offering little effective resistance as Fritz broke his limbs before smashing his skull.

After downing the leader, she charged into the group of bow-wielding goblins, Higginbottom III behind her.

She then saw the goblin with the bow take a hit from Ash, and then return fire, killing her fellow soldier.  She screamed and charged, landing a blow that shattered the goblin's arm.  The goblin attempted to return fire, Fritz effortlessly batting the arrow aside, before landing another blow that crushed the goblin's skull.

The other bow-goblins, having heard tales about the ferocity and cruelty of this dwarf in particular, turned and ran.  They were most dismayed to meed soldiers coming from the other direction, the dwarven caravan having arrived at this moment.  Hearing the commotion, caravan guards had come running to help.

Fritz, meanwhile, had knocked down one more goblin archer, and as was her style was killing it slowly and painfully, smashing each limb before finishing it off.

Far below, in the caverns, five dwarves had gathered for a daring adventure.

Graknorke the champion, who had insisted on making a trip into the caverns, had convinced Phenix to carve the gateway.  Refusing to risk the safety of the fortress, Phenix had insisted on making a closable gateway, so the passage to the caverns could be sealed off safely.  Graknorke had chafed at the delay, but had taken the time to gather companions.  Rather than one of Geb's masterful bone crossbows, Graknorke had chosen to take one brought by a goblin.  Made from a strange, heavy metal, it was less accurate, but should prove far more effective if used as a hammer.

Happythoughts had been conscripted into the trip almost as soon as he had arrived.  He gripped his arsenical bronze spear and waited for Graknorke to take the lead.

Domas the Wallpotdwarf had left his usual crossbow behind for this mission, instead taking a fine steel sword that Daenyth had made.

Dex, who had little to no military experience, was also carrying one of Daenyth's swords.  He was starting to question the impulse that had made him sign up for this trip.  He didn't want to leave his wife a widow, but Graknorke had assured him the trip would be safe.

And then there was CoraiUnki, who insisted loudly to everyone who would listen that this trip was a terrible idea.  He was carrying a new battle-axe.  This was, of course, not the same axe he used to cut down trees, as no decent dwarf would use the same axe for both tree-cutting and military use.

Along with them came two giant war sparrows, and one of Corai's pet war cavies.  It remained to be seen which of them would prove more useful.

"This world we will explore is one that few dwarves have ever seen!" spoke Graknorke, "But it is one that we must explore and make ours, as is our right as dwarves!"  He signaled for the lever to be pulled, to open the gate.  "Go forth, and see our strange new world!"

The five dwarves, and three animals, spread out into a strange maze of twisty caverns.  Cave moss covered the ground, and plants - some familiar, some not - grew everywhere.  Domas the Wallpotdwarf stopped to examine a strange blue mushroom.  The caves were hot - a magma pool being not far away - but the fungus was chill to the touch, with frost on its surface.

"We should be right above the magma smelter now" said Graknorke.  "The magma pipe is to the south.  Looks like the ground slopes down to the north, we'll head that way."

The ground sloped down, into a cavern lake.  The water was dark, and had a faint musty smell, like something had died and rotted away long ago.  Above them, fissures in the cavern, and odd acoustics, suggested a vertical passage, as if the roof was much higher above here than elsewhere.

"No way around the lake.  What now?" asked Domas.

"I think there was a passage to the south-east, around the magma pit.  We'll head back that way." replied Graknorke.

They made their way through the narrow, slimy passage Graknorke had spotted, and then came down to an opening by the magma pipe.

"Look across the magma, you can see the platform and pump for the smelters." said Graknorke.

"Don't go near the magma!"  screamed Corai.  "There are magma-monsters in it!  Remember what happened to Rakust?"

Graknorke shrugged.  "Unexplored caverns are to the east, anyway.  Let's see what's over there."

The caverns were twisty and damp, but seemed unoccupied.  They hadn't seen a single creature so far, just more plants.  Ahead, there seemed to be an opening of some type, a clearing among the twisty caverns.

Happythoughts peered through the gloom.  "I think something's moving over there.  Some kind of creature.  Can anyone make it out?"

Corai screamed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 12, 2012, 10:36:15 pm »

"Secretions"

So, it's feces? BRING IT ON. Im downing this Girly shell-newt!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 12, 2012, 10:44:16 pm »

I'm just trying to picture a towering feathered newt with a spiral shell.  That's a very anatomically mixed-up creature.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 12, 2012, 10:46:18 pm »

I love how you make all other forts seem lazy in the character-writing, it seems that you capture our insanity well.

Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 12, 2012, 10:50:35 pm »

If they don't all die, my character may be able to do something! (I'm so optimistic, ain't I?)

Triskelli

• Bay Watcher
  • A man of wealth and taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 12, 2012, 11:01:10 pm »

I'm just trying to picture a towering feathered newt with a spiral shell.  That's a very anatomically mixed-up creature.

Think of it more like a turtle's shell...  Ooh, or a double-spiral shell with two openings.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 13, 2012, 04:55:14 am »

Oh hey, the welcoming party arrived.
Wait, no. Stop.. No Spos, we can't be hugging right now, we're busy on the lookout for dangerous things.... I'm being serious now, CUT THAT OUT.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 13, 2012, 05:24:55 am »

just a quick question here, every time a fight breaks out it sound like all of Higginbottoms kills get stolen by another dwarf.....

so could you post his kill list and inventory please

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 13, 2012, 11:03:56 am »

Catch it!  We can use it for training, and maybe some arena fun!

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 13, 2012, 11:24:49 am »

Catch it!  We can use it for training, and maybe some arena fun!

(ooc) If only we could breed it...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 13, 2012, 01:07:52 pm »

I bet you wish i brought along my crossbow... can i have both next time? ???
pity i cant bring along a massivlyoverpoweredbow-bow. :'(
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 13, 2012, 02:19:16 pm »

I forgot about this fort after I got dorfed. Today I remembered it, saw this page as the first one and shouted and screamed at my mother to buggeroff me as I read this entire thread. I have to add this to my favs.

Could you show me Fritz's description, relationships and kills screen, please?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 13, 2012, 02:21:24 pm »

Corai turns to Graknorke, slaps him, and screams that its a predator, that eats dwarves. He then proceeds to hide behind his axe in the fetal position.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 13, 2012, 09:18:55 pm »

I find my sudden and utter demise extremely amusing.

Requesting Ash #2.
Skills: Marksman, preferably from a migrant wave.
Custom Job: Professional Red Shirt.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 13, 2012, 09:48:03 pm »

The cavern expedition, continued.

Corai screamed.  Graknorke tried to ignore him, trying to make out the shape moving in the distance.  Happythoughts raised his spear and charged across the cavern floor at it.

By the time they arrived where the creature had been glimpsed, there was nothing.  Only a faint, foul smell, of some lingering toxic secretion, remained.

"Now see what you've done?"  snapped Graknorke.  "You've scared it off.  Just when we were about to make contact."

"Just as well.  Might have been dangerous." mused Dex.

Happythoughts was paying them no attention, staring off at something glittering further in the distance.  "Is that what I think it may be?  Down here after all?"

The threat of the vanished monster forgotten for the moment, the five dwarves made their way deeper into the caverns, following the fascinating blue glow.  Just past where they had seen the monster the caverns narrowed into another maze of twisty caverns, but these threaded past a rich vein of the most valuable mineral known to dwarvenkind.

Veins of tetrahedrite and hematite, and clusters of morion and lapis lazuli flanked the adamantine column.  Those would ordinarily have represented a rich mineral wealth by themselves, but they were insignificant in value compared to it.

"We should report this to the fortress.  Geb will want to know." said Dex.

"No!  It's dangerous, if you mine the adamantine the demons will come out and kill everyone!" screamed Corai.

"Perhaps that thing we saw was guarding this?" mused the Wallpotdwarf.

Graknorke pulled out his map, made a few marks on it.  "According to this, we should be due east of the lake now.  We can circle around the north side of it, explore around there, and then return to the cavern gate from the north-west.

The five dwarves headed off, after a few last longing looks at the adamantine pillars.  Graknorke took the lead, followed by Happythoughts, Domas the Wallpotdwarf, and Dex.  CoraiUnki trailed far in the rear, muttering to himself, trying to figure out a way to stop the others from telling the rest of the fortress.  Behind him trailed his loyal war cavy, stopping now and then to nibble on the cavern moss.

Graknorke, noticing that the group was getting split up, came to a stop on a slight rise.  Ahead, the ground sloped back down around the northern shore of the cavern lake.

He looked over his four companions.  All of them were getting tired, and showing signs of thirst.  The meager rations they had brought along had long since been consumed during the long walk.  He wasn't sure that any of them should try drinking from the cavern lake yet.

"Ok, this should be enough exploration for now.  Just a short walk to go and we'll be back at the magma forges."

The passages around the north-west side of the lake were also narrow and twisty, but soon the familiar sight of Phenix's masterful stonework was visible as they approached the open gate.  Dex stepped through, glad to be back safely inside.  Domas the Wallpotdwarf was thinking he'd like to return to making pots.  Graknorke took one last look at the magnificent caverns, promising himself he'd return soon, as he walked over the smooth rock floor at the gateway.

The surface of the cavern lake rippled, as something crossed it just under the surface.

Corai still trailed in the rear, ideas stuggling to form in his head.  Have to stop Cilob from finding out.  He's too much of a risk-taker, he'll insist on mining the adamantine, and then we're all dead.

Water sloshed and gurgled as a giant white blob crawled up onto the shore.

A formless, bloated mass of snow, crusted with a shell of ice, rose out of the water.  It was as if the very cavern lake itself had taken affront at the intrusion of the dwarves, and formed a monster of ice and snow to strike at them.  Corai was directly in its path.

Corai saw it.  For a moment he was terrified beyond reason, then instinct kicked in and he charged at it, axe raised.

His first blow struck it squarely, shattering its shell of ice.  Shards of ice and snow cascaded down the slope back into the water.  Unfortunately for him, the remaining ice mass seemed only to be more nimble with the shell gone.  It somehow managed to dodge his next blow, then lunged at him.  He dodged the clumsy mass twice, then slipped on the wet ground.  The horrible snow-monster lunged again and crushed him against the wall of the cavern.

He raised his shield-arm, trying to ward off the monster.  The sheer weight of the thing crushed his arm back, snapping the bone, and then bore down on him, squeezing the breath from his lungs.

Corai's loyal war cavy charged to his defense, nipping at the mass of animated snow crushing the life from him.  A pseudopod of snow brushed it aside effortlessly.

Happythoughts had been just about to re-enter the fortress gate when he heard Corai's scream.  He charged down the slope towards the edge of the lake where they were fighting.  He lunged with his arsenical bronze spear, trying to stab the monster without accidentally hitting Corai.  Twice he missed.  The third time he scored a direct hit on the thing's center.

The snow-blob shuddered, then exploded, showering the cavern floor with slush.

Happythoughts bent down to check on Corai.  The carpenter was badly injured, unconscious but alive.  "Come on, Corai.  We'll get you to Doctor Cain, he'll fix you up."
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44