Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Favourite Method of Useless Forgotten Beast Disposal  (Read 3442 times)

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Favourite Method of Useless Forgotten Beast Disposal
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:08:20 pm »

So I have a FB in my caverns, not interested in weaponising or using it in any way.  I just want to kill it and get at the cavern behind it.  Unfortunately I decided this fort I would not use a military at all.  I have no combat dwarves or anything.  This is my 'seal yourself away and focus on a massive underground city' fortress.

With that being said I think the easiest way to kill it is a collapse, but how do other people kill these?
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Method of Useless Forgotten Beast Disposal
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:12:21 pm »

I kill mine with sharp sticks, any other methods of doing so tend to be convoluted and prone to failure.

I wish you the best, but you're making it hard on yourself!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »

you're making it hard on yourself!

I wanted to see how long I could last without cage trap spamming or massive armies, just a boring old fort.  It worked very nicely until about 5 minutes after posting this I lost to 3 kobolds who snuck in.  I coulda punched them to death probably but it's time for a new fort.
My Steam Account

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:26:45 pm »

Damn kobolds... once again they prove that they are the real menace.

Elves, goblins, humans... they're all puppets to their kobolds masters. Who do you think locked the clowns in candyland? Who do you think secretly herds titans and forgotten beasts and lead them to your fortresses?

They're out there, man. They'll abduct you and probe you, and you'll never see it coming!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:46:19 pm »

I still want to hug one.
My Steam Account

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:48:08 pm »

forgotten beasts move around, so caving them in is hard.    You could construct a small room with chained bait animal, such that the FB can be trapped by locking or flipping a switch (building destroyers cannot destroy things from below) sort of strategy.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 08:57:44 pm »

What I was thinking is just a support with a good sized floor or wall sitting on it, only supported by it.  Then doors or something nearby for the FB to wreck.  If it doesn't take out the support I can just pull a lever.  Boom, FB Soup, or so I hope.
My Steam Account

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »

The dual rainbow dash posting has me confused here.  Either way, a controlled cave-in is probably you best method.  Luckily caverns have plenty of stone above them to utilize.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 08:13:45 am »

Does an Atom-Smasher-Bridge work on FBs ? Could you not just line a long snaking cooridoor with bridges linked to a single lever / apply a repeater?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:40:49 am »

Does an Atom-Smasher-Bridge work on FBs ?
No.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

rooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:21:01 am »

create small corridor full of spikes linked to a trigger, put the lever on repeat and open the cave. Spikes are extremely lethal to FBs and due to their random pathing you could even arrange a ''fishing'' setup for long term cave cleaning.

I opened up my caves,created a set of two drawbridges with spiky rooms beneath them and a pathing option around them to make the FB's path through the second room if I ever had a really dangerous syndrome FB, turned out that due to ''random pathing'' every once in a while an FB would just path into my first, open spikes room with no reason to go in there whatsoever.

I had about 10 fb's strolling around in a 3layer deep cavern and without any baits out i would kill or cripple atleast one of them per season. if you use bait you can get rid of them all in seconds. just make sure to utilize ''clean all'' in df hack if you intend to just walk in there after the killing; deadly blood and dust/etc are still lethal after the fb is removed.

also; make sure to either manually dump or autodump destroy the corpses, due to a bug butchering FB remains currently causes a noticeble drop in fps.

in my fort of 180 dwarves I am at 110-130 fps after 35 years, while just butchering 1 FB dropped that down to 80 and there was no way, apart from savescumming, to repair that.

I was about to go and call that their biggest weapon right now, till a simple deadly dust spray attack paralyzed all squads close to it  ;)

oh and, if you're really desperate and willing to use dfhack; use the liquids command and obsidianize the shit out of them. tends to get quite messy but it works!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 10:36:42 am »

The dual rainbow dash posting has me confused here. 

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 11:06:51 am »

If you have any artifact furniture, it makes very good bait. The FB will try to destroy it, but won't be able to. So it will sit nearby forever. Handy if you just happen to have built spike traps linked to a lever there.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 11:18:19 am »

Spike trap + lever on repeat + dodge fall trap straight into the magma sea, more specifically a magma flow tile, is even more !!FUN!!

Has anyone tried science if hatch-lever pit traps would work ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 11:55:34 am »

The dual rainbow dash posting has me confused here.
Agreed. :P

More on topic, I'm going to have to cast my vote towards a hallway filled with spike traps, preferably with an indestructible artifact furniture at the end to make sure that they stay there until they are dead.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2