Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blood EVERYWHERE.  (Read 4917 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Blood EVERYWHERE.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 11:40:16 am »

Well, several Dwarfs dancing, sparring and eating around a waterfall of blood.

This should happen more often.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »

I don't see the problem here.  The only issue is that you didn't document your methodology.  Dwarf Monthly will never accept your shoddy research notes!  We must have solid methods and reproducible results!

Sorry about that, I didn't see how the goblins died in the river - I think it was a lucky crossbow bolt right where the intake was.

Wait, what are you doi...
Sabreur has been sentenced to 3 Hammer Strikes for: Failure to Document !!Science!! Properly
Sabreur cancels Post On Forum: Interrupted by Hammerer
Sabreur has been struck down

See!? This is why I always wear a helmet when posting to the forums!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »

How exactly does the blood flow in water? I've found it to be buggy and inconsistent. Proper scientific !!research!! must be done to identify the behavior of blood in water for the designing temples to Armok.

For example:

• Does the blood remain in the water when it is pumped?
  • If the water has any sort of inequalities or flow, will all the blood simply stain the walls and be gone?
  • With the buggy water flow, can you generate an infinite amount of blood?
  • How do puddles and spatters of blood interact with water?
  • If the water falls (for example, as a waterfall), will the blood remain in it?
  • Will the mist of the waterfall clean destroy the blood when it reaches the bottom?

Just a few questions to get someone's !!research!! started. I'm sure there's a lot more to know about it. Everyone wants to kill their enemies over an altar to Armok, wash the blood into a cistern and power a blood fountain, under which you will have a party after each !!*(Fresh Kill)*!! on the altar.

Only in Dwarf Fortress! :P
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 03:29:02 pm »

Remember to turn off cleaning labors for EVERYONE (Dwarf Therapist helps) once you get soap.. if you even bother with it.
Otherwise, cleaners will clean. :(
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:30:55 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 03:45:40 pm »

Blood spreads like an infection in this version, so upstream and downstream don't matter, think stagnant water bug...
How exactly does the blood flow in water? I've found it to be buggy and inconsistent. Proper scientific !!research!! must be done to identify the behavior of blood in water for the designing temples to Armok.

For example:

• Does the blood remain in the water when it is pumped?
  • If the water has any sort of inequalities or flow, will all the blood simply stain the walls and be gone?
  • With the buggy water flow, can you generate an infinite amount of blood?
  • How do puddles and spatters of blood interact with water?
  • If the water falls (for example, as a waterfall), will the blood remain in it?
  • Will the mist of the waterfall clean destroy the blood when it reaches the bottom?

Just a few questions to get someone's !!research!! started. I'm sure there's a lot more to know about it. Everyone wants to kill their enemies over an altar to Armok, wash the blood into a cistern and power a blood fountain, under which you will have a party after each !!*(Fresh Kill)*!! on the altar.

Only in Dwarf Fortress! :P
1. Don't know
2. All tiles tainted are tainted until cleaned until receiving more blood from river
3. Yes
4. They contaminate it, and the water now spreads the blood.
5. yes
6. not that I am aware of
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »

Okay, some more info.  The blood splattered in a 7-8 square radius around the waterfall, which matched the overflow from the drainage before the drains caught up.

The problem is mud - once the water receded, only the outermost tiles left behind blood, the rest just left mud.  Compared to the original effect (ginormous amounts of blood on everything!), it's kinda sad.

I think what happens is that flowing water 'pushes' contaminants, but doesn't 'pull' contaminants.  So the outermost tiles had no water flowing in from the outside when they drained and left behind blood, while the rest went down the drain.  I'm attempting to set up a special room to test the theory.

Code: [Select]
#########
#G##G##G#
#########
#########
#G##G##G#
#########
#########
#G##G##G#
#########

Where # is floor and G is a floor grate (preferably made from a red stone, for effect).

Essentially, I'm going to make something like the 'mass pitting' article on the wiki, only instead of being used for dumping prisoners its for dumping water without disturbing the blood.

1.  Get a reservoir of bloody water.  Some weapon traps on a narrow bridge over a reservoir should guarantee a plentiful supply whenever the goblins come calling.
2.  Drain the water into your "Altar To Armok" room - quickly, so that the room is evenly coated.  It might be wise to make the floor of the reservoir a retractable bridge, so you can dump it all at once.
3.  The water drops into the room.  Each water tile is only 1 square away from a drain, so it immediately flows away without 'pushing' any blood out of the way.

If it works, the only 'blood free' tiles in the room will be the (red) flood grates.  I'm pretty sure Dwarves track blood, so you might be able to get 100% saturation by pulling up the grates and replacing them with ordinary floor tiles.

As for weaponizing this, just make this room a 'secondary gatehouse' and use the nastiest forgotten-beast blood you can get.  When a siege comes, close your main door and open your secondary door wiiiiiiide open.  Anything barefoot will die.  For extra nastiness, wait to dump the reservoir until they're in the room.  Can't really take credit for this idea, since the "Reclaiming Battlefailed" thread did it first (and funnier), but what the hey.

On a somewhat related note, do elves wear shoes?  I accidentally offered them a bunch of rock crafts in a wooden bin last season...  Either way, I'll post again with screenshots if it works.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 09:49:29 pm »

The problem is likely the amount of blood available.  The first time you bathe your dwarves and 10 years of soot, grime, hunt kills, and tantrum spirals washes into the puddle, it's hilarious.  The second time, of 6 months of loitering in the dining hall and hauling hematite, it's much less epic.

As always, it's a matter of magnitude.  All ideas are valid ideas.  The only thing to differentiate a "stupid idea" from a "good idea" is how massively you attempt it.

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 01:10:05 am »

you sir, have inspired me to create a waterfall in my dining hall, and fill it with not only the blood of the kobolds, and elves (unfortunately goblins were killed in a great war during world gen) but i will fill it with the blood of the many vampires that migrate to my fort, the useless animals perfectly fit test creatures, and whatever other hostiles/subjects come my way.

no river, but an aquifer and an ocean.

a question comes to mind. how would one go about creating an effective *every living thing* blood harvester

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 01:47:25 am »

you sir, have inspired me to create a waterfall in my dining hall, and fill it with not only the blood of the kobolds, and elves (unfortunately goblins were killed in a great war during world gen) but i will fill it with the blood of the many vampires that migrate to my fort, the useless animals perfectly fit test creatures, and whatever other hostiles/subjects come my way.

no river, but an aquifer and an ocean.

a question comes to mind. how would one go about creating an effective *every living thing* blood harvester

A room filled with circular saws and floor grates over flowing water in a checkerboard pattern. That means 'donators' are either being cut to pieces, or bleeding into the water under them.

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 08:42:53 am »

A room filled with circular saws and floor grates over flowing water in a checkerboard pattern. That means 'donators' are either being cut to pieces, or bleeding into the water under them.

good idea, but what about the vampires, and annoying nobles? traps dont work on them   :'(

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 10:06:18 am »

good idea, but what about the vampires, and annoying nobles? traps dont work on them   :'(

Spike trap? Have them trade off. First the noble can go into the special lever room and pull the lever for an hour, pincushioning his vampire buddies. Then the the vamp ca do the noble the same favor.

BLOOD EVERYWHERE
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:21:39 am by nightwhips »
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 10:53:28 am »

Vampires may be tricky, but with the magenta magnates all you need to do is lock them up in a trap-filled room and wait for them take a nap.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 10:58:03 am »

For nobles i suggest a drop trap into a room with repeating steel spike trap and fotrifications on either sides. Have water flowing thru the room constantly. Make sure the water isnt deep enough to drown them and you will be able to drop in nobles and forget about them.

In
    |  |
    |#|
    |^|
    |#|
    |  |
    Out

It also might be a good idea to have a way to get bodys out... Perhaps make two of these sacrifice rooms which you can divert water to alternatly. That way one can be active while the other is being cleaned and your bloodfall can run indefinitly.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.
Pages: 1 [2]