Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Once a Weapon Is Named...  (Read 11662 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Once a Weapon Is Named...
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 09:22:39 pm »

Yeah one of my dwarves got attached to a wooden sword since they were hastily recruited to fight off wildlife and I didn't bother to make/steal any better ones until later.

Needless to say that dwarf died.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »

Thankfully the only two named weapons I've ever had were 1. a masterwork adamantine battleaxe called Libadnoleth Rulgim, or Praisegulfs the Submerged Twist and
2. a Nether Cap spear owned by the Olm Man Spearmaster Blockedportals, can't remember the name.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 10:32:46 pm »

I literally just got a mastercrafted adamantine battle axe named erithinash or The Laborious Organ. It got named for killing an FB and its wielder has a title name Sodel Treatyflash the Jade Groove of Homage.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 12:37:31 am »

There's a difference between "attached to" and "named." A dwarf can get attached to a weapon simply by having it for long enough. I've never seen a dwarf name a weapon without killing a megabeast / FB with it first.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 03:05:29 am »

I think I have seen one with only goblin/ troll/ ogre type kills.  I remember as I had previously thought it needed a FB type kill.  I ended up concluding it was just exp gained that triggered attachment and naming.  No pictures though, so I might he wrong.

I have certainly reassigned named weapons before using the military screen, and not just artifacts.  I went through a phase on one fort of minmaxing and upgrading wood and bone crossbows to silver, before reverting to using the named bone bows again.  It was a PITA to find who had named each bow and get it back to them through the 'l' and military screens.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 03:14:37 am »

It seems to me that it takes between 25-60 notable kills to get it; but 'friendly' units name it instantly.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 04:06:17 am »

Named weapons get exactly zero benefits, and exactly two problems:
You cannot dump a named weapon
Soldiers are extremely reluctant to drop their named weapon
O joyous -wooden training axe- that hath thee settled in mine champions hand

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 04:49:34 am »

Knowing the RNG, enough dragons and you'll get a spear called 'Anusrape'. And I suppose that's a plus.
Actually, 'Anus' and 'Rape' got removed from the RNG :'(
:'(

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 08:59:56 am »

hmm, i thought named weapons got a bonus to attack rolls, similar but not as big as the bonus for artifacts.  Specifically, I thought they recieved a x2 to hit bonus like masterworks, compared with the x3 bonus for true artifacts.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 09:03:39 am »

Mine named his sword right after killing a deamon leason, it's only kill.
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 09:29:50 am »

I've had danger-room trained soldiers name their weapons and shields after a month.  It seems different things have different "weight values".  A goblin kill might add +50 to the weapon's importance, while a FB adds 2,000.  Parrying a blow might add 1 value.  If the weapon is named when it reaches, say, 2,500 score, then enough time in a danger room can score enough parry moves to name it, or one good FB kill can push it up.

All numbers are made up, but I've noticed this theory seems accurate.  It also seems to be somewhat of a per-dwarf basis.  If the item changes hands, it resets to 0.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 09:32:59 am »

I've had danger-room trained soldiers name their weapons and shields after a month.  It seems different things have different "weight values".  A goblin kill might add +50 to the weapon's importance, while a FB adds 2,000.  Parrying a blow might add 1 value.  If the weapon is named when it reaches, say, 2,500 score, then enough time in a danger room can score enough parry moves to name it, or one good FB kill can push it up.

All numbers are made up, but I've noticed this theory seems accurate.  It also seems to be somewhat of a per-dwarf basis.  If the item changes hands, it resets to 0.

in any case, its certainly a random event, similar to moods e.g. very low probability, very large number of checks, influenced by various factors.  In this case the factors would be the score you mentioned, and probably as well the dwarf's personality.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 09:38:25 am »

Yes, except that a naming event seems more structured than a mood.  Moods appear to randomly choose anything in the relevant skill set and produce it from random materials.  Naming seems to occur along a poorly defined, but still present, grading scale of some sort.

Point being, it's not random "oh shit name it now!" like a mood that can occur on a migrant who just arrived.  It takes some amount of collective effort to name a weapon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 09:42:38 am »

That's pretty much what I've observed as well, Girlinhat.

Incidentally, does that mean that crossbows will never become named, unless you let your marksdwarves run around hitting things?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 09:52:46 am »

What does cause dwarves to drop a named items and attachments?

Dismemberment.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:02:43 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5