Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Once a Weapon Is Named...  (Read 11504 times)

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Once a Weapon Is Named...
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 09:55:31 am »

Amount of time used and kills with the weapon both contribute to it being named.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 09:56:55 am »

Crossbows being fired contributes to naming.  Presumably, any action a piece of equipment can undertake adds to its score.  If you get hit on the head long enough, might even name your helmet.

Lockyy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tales from the Fortress
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 10:13:43 am »

I literally just got a mastercrafted adamantine battle axe named erithinash or The Laborious Organ. It got named for killing an FB and its wielder has a title name Sodel Treatyflash the Jade Groove of Homage.
Does tht sound suggestive to anyone else?
Tales from the Fortress is my website dedicated to archiving stories from the world of dwarf fortress.

Now updated to include a DF2014 section!

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 10:59:36 am »

I literally just got a mastercrafted adamantine battle axe named erithinash or The Laborious Organ. It got named for killing an FB and its wielder has a title name Sodel Treatyflash the Jade Groove of Homage.
Most of the stuff sounds suggestive. I think the dwarves are really repressed and it comes out in their naming process.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 11:00:18 am »

What does cause dwarves to drop a named items and attachments?

Dismemberment.
If only there was a way to combine danger rooms, dismemberment and magma, then all of DF'verse's problems would be solved.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 11:12:29 am »

What does cause dwarves to drop a named items and attachments?

Dismemberment.
If only there was a way to combine danger rooms, dismemberment and magma, then all of DF'verse's problems would be solved.
Your fort doesn't have a magma spear danger room? I admit the magma spears are a little bit hard to set up but its only like 6/10 difficulty.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 11:36:03 am »

Most of the stuff sounds suggestive. I think the dwarves are really repressed and it comes out in their naming process.

That's what comes from reproducing via spores:  An incredibly repressed libido. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 11:41:06 am »

Crossbows being fired contributes to naming.  Presumably, any action a piece of equipment can undertake adds to its score.  If you get hit on the head long enough, might even name your helmet.

I've never seen named armor. Are you joshing, have you seen this, or are you theorizing?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 11:45:31 am »

I've never seen named armor. Are you joshing, have you seen this, or are you theorizing?

Shields can be named and I'm nearly sure theyre counted as armor.

I suppose it'd be worth testing. I don't know if hitting goblins with your helmet would add the name but taking and deflecting a blow might. Though if thats true then I don't know why I don't see more danger room dwarves naming their cloaks or whatever, it might be restricted to weapons and shields
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 11:51:16 am »

Shields can be named and I'm nearly sure theyre counted as armor.

I suppose it'd be worth testing. I don't know if hitting goblins with your helmet would add the name but taking and deflecting a blow might. Though if thats true then I don't know why I don't see more danger room dwarves naming their cloaks or whatever, it might be restricted to weapons and shields
Shields can be named because you can bash things with them, earning kills etc. Theoretically, getting a dwarf to hold onto a helmet and bash things with it probably would name the piece of armor, but I've never seen named armor from use (Even with using a danger room for around two years straight).
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

gorge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:27 pm »

I can verify that shields are named through bashing.  I recently had a dwarf get the killing blow on a FB by bashing it with his shield.  He then named the shield.  It was the shield's first kill.   

To support the randomness of it though, I have a different dwarf who's gotten two FB kills, a were-elk kill, and 18 other notable kills with a battle axe and he's just attached to it.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 12:54:39 pm »

In all my experience with DF, I've only had two named weapons (that I can remember anyway; it's possible I've had more that I've just forgotten), both in the same fortress.  That particular fortress was one of the longest I held on to, and my military was very experienced.  Unfortunately, I no longer have that fortress, so I can't provide many details.

I've had many "grown attached to" announcements, which generally seem to happen based on how long the dwarf has been using the weapon.  Both of my named weapons started out this way, then advanced after the dwarf earned a few kills.  The first name came following a particularly large siege, and the second after an FB incursion.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »

With invaders off on one of my architectural blunders, I had several sworddwarves become sword lords, using wooden practice sticks so they don't hurt each other during training....

Several became attached....  then more became attached..... "well, I can still assign them real steel ones later, since they aren't na...."

Urist McSwordlord has given the name ($unpronouncable_string), the toothpick of slaying to a featherwood training sword!

"Gawd damnit!"

(Repeat very quickly over the next few minutes.)

Those morons had never even seen an invader. They had no kills, and had just become legendary sword lords by poking each other with wooden sticks, which they then became attached to, and then named.  Getting those abominations out of their hands was practically impossible.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:22 pm »

That's what comes from reproducing via spores:  An incredibly repressed libido.
I'd like to think it explains the drinking and aggression as well.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 02:16:27 pm »

Getting those abominations out of their hands was practically impossible.

Remember what I said last? No need to get them out of their hands when you can simply get rid of the hands themselves!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5