Mouth and Horns only
- 35 (42.7%)
Forehooves
- 3 (3.7%)
All of the above
- 44 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - Fanon is Magic 1.2  (Read 80648 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - Fanon is Magic 1.2
« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2012, 08:25:34 am »

gah, sometimes i wish DF wouldn't just assume that an item that doesn't exist in a reaction means ANY item will do instead, the research bug is fixed, next up: trying to add cloth backpacks and quivers.
Unfortunately, these are both hardcoded items, so they have to be added through reactions.

Good job on the CBCS replica, I'll have a looksee now :D

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2012, 09:35:24 am »

Cutie mark stuff looks really neat, definately going into the next update!
I've added cloth quivers and backpacks and fixed the free research thing, anyone else found any nasty bugs that need fixing?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2012, 12:15:18 pm »

I haven't looked over the RAWs, just the release note for the castes.

I disagree with how you did alicorns completely. One caste has *0.2 learning rates for a lot of skills. There are no males. Princess and Noble aren't the same thing. Overall big Ugh / WTF / ChangeOnInstall.

Liar has *8 learning rate. Much too much for my taste, but it is an Easter egg anyway.

I rather like the nurse pony, especially the personality bonus, although she only has 3 doctor skills out of 5 and oddly high social skills. But then there is a doctor caste too, so good.

I thought adventure pony was another Easter egg, but that caste would actually be useful in adventure mode.

Bow / crossbow / blowgun pony should be merged into a single caste. They should also get a bonus to ambusher.

Armor Expert and Shield bearer. I see no point to them. Maybe add armour user to armoursmith as a joke, but otherwise these two castes should be merged with the rest of the military.

I'd give melee fighters small bonuses to all melee weapons, not just their chosen ones and debuffs to civilian job learning rates (on top of basics for their castes).

Drill Sergeant - very useful.

Siege Operator - no siege engineering? Maybe throw in a small bonus for ranged weapons, so he can be drafted to inactive squad, given a crossbow and shoot things that come too close to siege engines.

Animal Caretaker - no animal taming.

Brewer has no bonus to cooking, but a cook has bonus to brewing.

Ace Flier - Speed 1111 This makes no sense. Why so slow? Wait, did you actually think that 1111 speed is faster than 150 speed? Lol.

Bowyer could use bonecarving at least.

In my opinion you went too far overboard with modifying learning rates. I much prefer the 1.71 approach, with *0.8 to *1.3 being the norm.

Overall you did a lot of good work making a solid foundation for cutie marks and castes. It may look as if I'm complaining too much, but this is my way of offering feedback. One factor you should take into consideration is how fun and useful are those castes for the player and also decipherable without a cheat sheet.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2012, 03:01:41 pm »

it also seems you can't tame large animals
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2012, 04:29:10 pm »

Yay, week long project wasn't discarded! :D

I haven't looked over the RAWs, just the release note for the castes.

I disagree with how you did alicorns completely. One caste has *0.2 learning rates for a lot of skills. There are no males. Princess and Noble aren't the same thing. Overall big Ugh / WTF / ChangeOnInstall.

Liar has *8 learning rate. Much too much for my taste, but it is an Easter egg anyway.

I rather like the nurse pony, especially the personality bonus, although she only has 3 doctor skills out of 5 and oddly high social skills. But then there is a doctor caste too, so good.

I thought adventure pony was another Easter egg, but that caste would actually be useful in adventure mode.

Bow / crossbow / blowgun pony should be merged into a single caste. They should also get a bonus to ambusher.

Armor Expert and Shield bearer. I see no point to them. Maybe add armour user to armoursmith as a joke, but otherwise these two castes should be merged with the rest of the military.

I'd give melee fighters small bonuses to all melee weapons, not just their chosen ones and debuffs to civilian job learning rates (on top of basics for their castes).

Drill Sergeant - very useful.

Siege Operator - no siege engineering? Maybe throw in a small bonus for ranged weapons, so he can be drafted to inactive squad, given a crossbow and shoot things that come too close to siege engines.

Animal Caretaker - no animal taming.

Brewer has no bonus to cooking, but a cook has bonus to brewing.

Ace Flier - Speed 1111 This makes no sense. Why so slow? Wait, did you actually think that 1111 speed is faster than 150 speed? Lol.

Bowyer could use bonecarving at least.

In my opinion you went too far overboard with modifying learning rates. I much prefer the 1.71 approach, with *0.8 to *1.3 being the norm.

Overall you did a lot of good work making a solid foundation for cutie marks and castes. It may look as if I'm complaining too much, but this is my way of offering feedback. One factor you should take into consideration is how fun and useful are those castes for the player and also decipherable without a cheat sheet.

All valid points, I appreciate the feedback and here is my reasoning behind some of these (consider it counter-criticism if you will, we are all open to thoughts and opinions here right?):

Spoiler: Counter Criticism (click to show/hide)

For Sorcerer to fix/imminently patch:
Ace Flier speed, change from 1111 to a value lower than 777.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:56:11 am by Replica »
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 24, 2012, 09:45:31 am »

So I was reading through some of the DF files before work today, when a thought struck me.
With this new cutie mark system, it is technically possible to assign certain ponies special classes that can be used for interactions and positions.
For example, I made a new noble position as a duplicate of the champion, and named it the Element of Loyalty, set the position to require a class, and added the class to a number of earth pony castes to try it out..
Success! my first game had two eligible ponies to bear the honors.

Now, what do you think, is this something to explore further, or will it just make a mess of things?
I think that having the elements being appointed by the element of magic could be interesting.
There's currently not a ton of stuff the positions actually DO, which is a shame, but It would add a little something to legends mode if nothing else :P

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 24, 2012, 12:08:16 pm »

Go for it.

Perhaps you can add some useful functionality to it later using reactions or something.
Masterwork has the Cult of the Carp god which has something going on there with the Apostles of Armok and the carp cultists so there should be potential for fun in there.
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2012, 12:46:29 pm »

I've actually already jotted down some interactions that could be interesting to add with regards to the elements of harmony.
The entity positions themselves could serve primarily as a ways to identify eligible ponies.

Some ponies will have an innate connection to each of  the elements(they have the class), but are not true elements until "activated" by the element of Magic. Each Element of Magic will have an interaction to activate one other element of each type once, activating them will turn them into a different caste of pony, with bonuses tied to their element, and some interactions of their own. (unfortunately, they'll probably lose their appearance details in the process).
Each of the elements will grant a bonus to each of the other elements, so getting the whole gang together should prove to be quite the formidable force.

The kicker here is: How do you get the element of magic? Natural? created by tons of studying? magically appointed by an Alicorn princess?
I'd love to hear some input on this! Also I apologize if this post is a bit broken, I've been idly writing it in any breaks that have popped up XD

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2012, 01:47:56 pm »

Interesting.
You could make the element of magic's appearance related to the sonic rainboom somehow (I think Lycaeon made one for his mod, a type of pegasi uses it as an attack and as a way to retreat from what I've read), but I wouldn't know how.
Workshop reaction?
Weather related?
Rainbows?
I know jack shit about reactions, so I wouldn't know where the limit goes.

The "turning them into a different caste of pony..." bit catched my eye though.
Would it be possible to create a reaction that changes fillies to a caste when they reach a certain age (instead of having them being born with one)?
How would that work though? V
Would their descriptors change with them or would they keep their old colours?
Can reactions add a color descriptor to a creature?

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2012, 02:38:39 pm »

That would require unique castes for each color/cutie mark combination, and young/adult versions too.
The caste change is mostly a limitation of the interaction system as it works right now, we can only add or remove certain tags, but this sort of thing will be more than the system can handle at this point.

I guess I could handwave the caste change by making the element castes quite striking in appearance, have them be uberponies so to speak. Not quite canon I guess, but with the limitations we have with the system I think it might be the LEAST immersion breaking.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2012, 03:06:39 pm »

Understood.
Good luck with that.

Edit: Should point out another minor thing.

You have three reactions that yield the SKIN of three creatures in the crafting workshop.
Not sure what they are there for, but I am defenitely sure that threads of sheep skin are not used anywhere for anything.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:40:38 am by Replica »

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 25, 2012, 03:21:30 pm »

Oh, I've removed that actually, it was an attempt to get wool items, milk and cheese without also embarking and trading with meat.
Unfortunately, they seem to be linked...

Is it possible to remove meat as a butchering result altogether?

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 25, 2012, 06:02:02 pm »

NOBONES
NOMEAT
NOSKIN
NOSKULL
NOT_BUTCHERABLE

Creature tags that affect butchering.
Placing the NOMEAT tag on every creature would in theory prevent meat as butchering product.
I have no idea what side effects this would have on the rest of the game though.

Amorack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2012, 10:57:26 pm »

I love the Mod, Sorcerer! And Replica, the CBCS looks great.

I noticed something that's probably a bug though. The creature_standard file still has the Vanilla-DF unicorns in it. So I had a strange situation where I embarked in a Good biome and there were unintelligent, presumably butcherable unicorns walking around.

Mr. J

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 26, 2012, 02:02:33 am »

I noticed something that's probably a bug though. The creature_standard file still has the Vanilla-DF unicorns in it. So I had a strange situation where I embarked in a Good biome and there were unintelligent, presumably butcherable unicorns walking around.

I guess those Unicorns are to Ponies what Monkeys are to us.
Now i ain't sayin' i'm a gold digger...

But i am sayin' i dig diggin'
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25