Mouth and Horns only
- 35 (42.7%)
Forehooves
- 3 (3.7%)
All of the above
- 44 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - Fanon is Magic 1.2  (Read 80647 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - Fanon is Magic 1.2
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2012, 04:04:27 pm »

oh, sorry i must have missed that..
That will pretty much result in everypony having the same color. The color descriptor will only be "rolled" once for all the castes upon creation, and that color will be set to all of them.
When i initially did my caste restructure I was hoping for similar splace saving, but alas T'was not ment to be, at least not until toady finds interest in genetics again

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2012, 04:21:01 pm »

Welp, guess that means that I have to duplicate and reorganize the descriptors once I am done creating archetypes and castes.

Speaking of, how many archetypes do you guys even want?
30-50 per type of pony? 80? A hundred? What?
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2012, 04:23:02 pm »

Meh, as many as you can be arsed to to do i guess, the rest can be filled with generic background pony cutiemarks :P

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2012, 04:26:07 pm »

Bleh, 20 per type it is, then from there you guys will add on to it yourselves.
Archetype creation doesn't involve enough severed limbs and explosions for my taste.
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2012, 07:40:03 pm »

Haha, that should be more than enough

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2012, 08:19:55 pm »

Actually, Sorcerer, feel free to lift my whole talent system to save yourself the work. It's relatively complete (Every skill in DF has an associated cutie mark and talent family, and there are cutie marks for unique combinations of skills and magic ability) with the magic system for unicorns (In the form of interactions) fully developed. Virtually the only thing missing is a weather system for the pegasii. My apologies for not making this clear sooner.

As an outline for the different features: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104802.0

I've also fully developed a changeling creature that very effectively transforms during combat. Another interesting thing to note is a list of unique artifacts from canon ponies that can be used in the fort, examples of which include Octavia's cello, Lyra's lyre, and Golden Harvest's golden carrot seeds. They were formerly dropped from the Nightmare versions of these ponies, however, you can introduce them in other ways.

The only issue are the magic interactions themselves, which use custom-made materials (Especially for the changelings), and they will be difficult to decipher as they are heavily associated with the Taken parts of the mod (For example, the magic research system uses a combination of gems, silk parchment, and dark sludge from destroyed Taken) However, it should take less time than making a coordinated magic-cutie mark system from scratch.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:48:40 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 17, 2012, 06:03:22 am »

I guess with folks like granny smith being at least a few hundred years old (founder of ponyville, which has centuries of history)

Winter Wrap Up has centuries of history, not Ponyville itself. At least that better be right or I just made myself look stupid.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:04:55 am by Indigo_Surprise »

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2012, 06:14:23 am »

Lycaeons offer is very generous, I think you should use his raws and reverse engineer what you need from them, that way you will have both my user friendly caste system and his more advanced features, what more could you want? :D

I am about 1/4 of completion by now, have added and duped all earth pony archetypes.
Tomorrow I'll do pegasi and unicorn archetypes.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2012, 07:20:19 am »

Oh, that's a timesaver if i ever saw one. I'll see if i can set aside some time to merge this stuff together..

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 20, 2012, 11:59:13 am »

Hello again boss, just posting to let you know that after much work, rage and frustration that the archetype system is officially completed and in working condition.
I am comencing testing and fixing (really just a pretty word for "tidying up") when I wake up (ca half a day from now) and am going to deliver the system, and all it entails, in a couple of days, much sooner than originaly planned.
I'll fill you in on the minor issues and details in due time, but there is not to fear, the system is exactly what you wanted it to be and nothing else.
If you know a thing or two about castes then you will feel right at home.

Hopefully you haven't succumbed to terminal amounts of real life again and you are still around to actually see the message and recieve the file, preferably before I magically disapear into the world of player killing and elf butchering with my friends again.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 20, 2012, 02:37:44 pm »

Work is an ever looming threat, but at least now my email notification for this thread seems to work XD
Took a look at Lycaeon's files earlyer in the week... it's an amazingly intricate system and I'm not confident I can get much out of it without that program he used to write it (hint hint  ;D)

I have been scribbling notes on changelings in my breaks and spare time, ideally, I'd like their drones to be fairly weak, but capable of copying the attributes and appearance (tho probably not detailed appearances) of their enemies. This could perhaps lead to confusion or reluctance to fight on the copied ponies. Appearance changes would revert after taking X amount of damage, at which point the changeling would probably try to run away.

It occurs to me tho, that changelings in the show could fly, and the concept of a flying changeling turning into an earth pone and then falling and cratering on the ground made me chuckle

Thoughts?

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2012, 06:59:55 pm »

My pony files are already stand-alone apart from the magic system. All you really need are the body parts and cutie mark files and you can move the whole thing over, though I really advise using my magic system too, as unicorns gain so many more capabilities through the use of spells (Ie: Binding, confusion, fear, shield, time dilation, and more...). I can't upload the program itself, though.  :(

My changelings embody all the attributes you mentioned, as they possess interactions that allow them to transform into a type of pony upon catching sight of one (Ie: Changeling will transform into an earth pony if it sees an earth pony) and upon transformation will inflict a temporary confusion interaction upon all nearby ponies that impacts their fighting ability. While the drone variant is weak and will die easily, the warrior variant is hardier and launches lethal green flame spells when not transformed.

The infiltrator variant is rare, but upon appearing in an invasion force, it will take the place of the first pony it gets close to. Once in your fortress, it will drain the emotions of your fortress citizens, reducing their productivity, as well as occasionally killing one outright.

Queen changelings transform into alicorns and are fortress killers, as they can use a majority of the available spells up to and including master-tier ones like disintigration, making them unstoppable unless you heavily outnumber them. Thankfully they are rare enough that you probably won't see one through the course of your average fortress.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:05:28 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 21, 2012, 04:43:19 am »

Found another bug to fix.

"Split 250 Research" gives 250 free research points and requires no research points to use.

Edit: and another :/
Turns out you can't embark with quivers since they are made of leather... not critical, since you can make leather quivers yourself once you begin play (that is, if the new version has the tan hide labour re-enabled) but it is still an inconveniance if you want to start early hunting.
It is tied to the fact that ponies consider killing animals a crime against ethics so there needs to be some way of creating quivers out of cloth or other materials if embarking with quiver should be made possible again.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 05:05:23 am by Replica »

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2012, 06:17:44 am »

Bob Dole approves of the cloth quivers.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2012, 08:24:06 am »

Gentlemen and Gentlemen, I present to you the Class Based Cutiemark System (refered to as CBCS).

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6700

What it does is format the entire creature_pony_NEW file into a somewhat reading comprehensible read for non-machine cyborg people and adds the archetype system which is easily accessed, navigated and replacable with only a few clicks and retypes, no longer will you have to burn your eyes out like I had to find and change something.

It was not in any way or form based on/off parts of Lycaeons system used in My Little Darkness (like I said, it was too messy and long for me to wade through), there may be similarities however as they both revolve around the same thing.

The archetype system is exactly what you asked me to create, an archetype is a set of creature token, skills, attribute and personality modifiers paired with related (and mostly appropiate) cutiemarks.
The total number of cutiemarks has been bumped from 201 to 622 (and the cutiemark file has its own index as well listing which marks goes to which archetype, making it easy to completely replace an archetype and caste with another).

There are currently 78 archetypes and 202 castes (+ Alicorn Princess, inc 6 default castes) multiplied by 11 for the genetic diversity Sorcerer asked bumping the number up to a staggering 2222 castes in total.
Oh yes. The [CASTE] list is indeed quite massive (...massive pain in the ass to assemble).

Here are the castes and their modifiers (mostly gone by memory and the outdated google doc, so some may be slightly off):

Spoiler: Alicorn Castes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shared Castes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shared Military (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Earth Pony castes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pegasus Castes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unicorn Castes (click to show/hide)

The Hunter caste uses 4 custom colors which I placed in color_descriptor_pony, the file is included in the RAR.

Problems, bugs, things to know:

Spoiler: Major (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Minor (click to show/hide)

It wasn't particularly hard to create, but the manual labour of typing a few thousand lines of caste code by hand is pretty long and tiresome, I didn't have Lycaeons fancy program or anything. Just two bony hands and a set of tired strained eyes.

So, Sorcerer, I hand to you the system and all its bullshit to you.
Use it, or don't.
It's not a competition, it is a matter of what is best for MLF: Fanon is Magic :)

I'll hoover around for another 9 days, then I am out of here.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25