Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672897 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2040 on: January 07, 2013, 04:31:03 pm »

Yup. And videos are still not available.
Well, there's this project, which is apparently only in a "pre-kickstarter" stage, so maybe I shouldn't post it here, but it basically looks just like Bunky Bartlett with higher production values.

That url is dead :P
works for me

Now it works. o..o
Timed out before, which I thought was perfectly ironic.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: January 10, 2013, 02:49:13 pm »

I know this is going to be something terrible to ask but...has there ever been a "game" kickstarter that has indeed successfully launched a game? Because I seem to hear a lot about gaming kickstarters when they raise money, and yet nothing after the money has been raised.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2042 on: January 10, 2013, 02:50:09 pm »

I own FTL from my kickstarter donation to it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: January 10, 2013, 02:50:37 pm »

I don't think you realise how much time it takes to actually make a game.

Also, ever heard of FTL?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: January 10, 2013, 02:56:53 pm »

Looking through the list I found FTL is the only one I know has been released.  Other people may be able to help me on the others.

I like FTL but it may well be the exception to the rule.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: January 10, 2013, 02:58:39 pm »

Looking through the list I found FTL is the only one I know has been released.  Other people may be able to help me on the others.

I like FTL but it may well be the exception to the rule.

Oh come on!  No Velociraptor! Cannibalism!?  And to think we're 98% of the way to physical copies.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: January 10, 2013, 03:05:49 pm »

According to that list "Organ Trail" is also Kickstarter funded, and I know there's a copy of it already on a website, though the Kickstarter was for porting it over to mobile devices and PC/Mac. Still, porting over something seems easier than making something anew, so I'm going to say 2 out of however many is on that list (and 3 if you include "Velociraptor! Cannibalism!" though I was really thinking of video games, not board games.

I heard of FTL, but I had forgotten it was Kickstarter-funded. Still, one success out of...how many failures or incompletes?

I don't think you realise how much time it takes to actually make a game.
I don't think people who start projects on Kickstarters realise how much time it takes to actually make a game. And I don't want to give any excuse for game developers who take people's money and then fail to produce anything worthwhile. It's important to monitor everything.
EDIT: Or more simply, I think Kickstarter accountability is a good thing to have.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:31:13 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2047 on: January 10, 2013, 03:32:42 pm »

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare had a successful kickstarter and came out. The simple fact is it's been less (and in some cases much less) than a year since most games kickstarters finished so only those for simple games, already mostly finished before the kickstarter, or just for porting are complete by now.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: January 10, 2013, 03:37:58 pm »

Yeah, you need to wait at least another 12-18 months before going on an anti-game-kickstarters crusade.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: January 10, 2013, 03:51:39 pm »

FTL and Chivalry are incidentally both on steam's top10 list, and have been for a while.

I do remember reading about one kickstarted game that failed horribly, but can't remember what it was. Some sort of obscure, isometric horror game.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:55:28 pm by olemars »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: January 10, 2013, 04:05:01 pm »

I do remember reading about one kickstarted game that failed horribly, but can't remember what it was. Some sort of obscure, isometric horror game.

Haunts, maybe?

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: January 11, 2013, 08:31:30 am »

I'm watching Bay12's very own Cult for the moment that the other shoe drops. Its development is certainly not quite rock solid.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: January 11, 2013, 08:48:15 am »

Gentrieve 2 was successfully kickstarter and came out.
Cloudberry Kingdom was successfully kickstarted and came out (though, while essentially complete and fully playable, it hasn't had a proper update in long).

Those are the only two I can think of that I paid for.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:48 am »

Haunts, maybe?

Latest update (December) says that basically the main programmer fucked up and left leaving them with non-working source code, and that now he came back with the correct working source and they're back on track.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: January 11, 2013, 09:49:10 am »

Latest update (December) says that basically the main programmer fucked up and left leaving them with non-working source code, and that now he came back with the correct working source and they're back on track.

Well, that's good then, although the programming language itself sounds a bit dodgy and experimental. Until more drama pops up there, that leaves us with Cult as the admonitory example, then. And, actually, Cult raked in $35 large, before Lord Dullard vanished. Much more than Haunts.

For some reason, that "game" is like the troglodytic stepson that gets banished to a locked cell in the attic, and everyone ignores the muffled grunts and howls.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 213