Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672885 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1920 on: December 12, 2012, 09:46:37 am »

But yes that, if possible, would be a possible mechanic.

You'd have to tie that to a lessening of the reward, whatever that might be, to keep things balanced though. Otherwise there would be no reason for the project to have taken the donation in the first place. In fact thinking it through now, I don't see how any option but all or nothing can work at all. Kickstarter offering some kind of optional total pledge limit (to match the highest 'stretch goal' I guess) would be about the only way to achieve that.

Anyone late to the party just has to wait till after the project is complete which of course that only works for a subset of projects.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: December 12, 2012, 09:50:44 am »

What's the program with the original system again. Can't see any. Either the system fails(and nobody gets money), or it succeeds and everybody is happy. Or unhappy if the project fails.

Because, you know, guys the point of a kickstarter is that you give someone money to make an idea reality. In exchange you get a reward. As long as he gets his money and you your reward everything is fine, right?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: December 12, 2012, 10:08:49 am »

But you don't provide an alternative

I don't need to

Given that you're unhappy with the way the system is now and cannot point out what a reasonable project should do in the case of "getting too much" then yes, yes you do.

Because otherwise you can sit down and shut up.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: December 12, 2012, 12:01:39 pm »

Well, there's this project, which is apparently only in a "pre-kickstarter" stage, so maybe I shouldn't post it here, but it basically looks just like Bunky Bartlett with higher production values.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: December 12, 2012, 12:05:19 pm »

Videos not yet available

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: December 12, 2012, 04:35:35 pm »

Well, there's this project, which is apparently only in a "pre-kickstarter" stage, so maybe I shouldn't post it here, but it basically looks just like Bunky Bartlett with higher production values.

Fucking...

He wants to make a game that will simulate all of cosmic, Earth, and human history... for people to play around in.

Does he intend to rent out an entire Google server farm and make all his players buy the highest-end gaming computers just to play with terrible lag?

Ignoring the technical challenges of simulating (let along connecting) all that, programming it would take a joint venture between Apple, Microsoft, Google, the entire US government... you get the picture... to make it happen. Programming the real world... yeah... not happening.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: December 12, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »

I dunno, maybe he's just perfected quantum computing and decided to use it on this rather than something useful.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: December 12, 2012, 04:49:19 pm »

Fucking...

He wants to make a game that will simulate all of cosmic, Earth, and human history... for people to play around in.

Does he intend to rent out an entire Google server farm and make all his players buy the highest-end gaming computers just to play with terrible lag?

It can be played on your phone, too! ;)

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: December 12, 2012, 05:37:07 pm »

Even if all the technical obstacles to make this game are overcome, it will still be killed by griefers.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: December 12, 2012, 05:54:41 pm »

Even if all the technical obstacles to make this game are overcome, it will still be killed by griefers.

Yes... the most fantastic, realistic, unbelievably awesome game in the worl-

"LOL NOOB FAG BUNNYHOP BUNNYHOP STOP CAMPING I'M TWELVE YEARS OLD I DESERVE SPECIAL PRIVILEGES"
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: December 12, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »

"lol let's nineeleven that losers town"

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: December 12, 2012, 06:00:38 pm »

Also, it sounds REALLY, REALLY boring.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #1932 on: December 12, 2012, 06:14:33 pm »

Sounds like less of a game and more of a simulation.

I mean, if I wanted to play a super realistic game where I were one person who had to go out and survive in the real world and stuff, I could just play Real Life. It'd be much more productive.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: December 12, 2012, 06:22:20 pm »

Huh. It's as if someone decided to make a parody of Your World, then turned it to 11. Then 12. Then to 13000000000000. That's even worse than the game pitched in our Game Design class, ranked unanimously by the class as being the worst. It's either a troll or a really savvy fleecing.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: December 12, 2012, 07:19:00 pm »

Huh. It's as if someone decided to make a parody of Your World, then turned it to 11. Then 12. Then to 13000000000000. That's even worse than the game pitched in our Game Design class, ranked unanimously by the class as being the worst. It's either a troll or a really savvy fleecing.

What's the one that was ranked worst?
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 213