Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673240 times)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1740 on: September 30, 2012, 06:19:31 pm »

We should start a Kickstarter rewards service for Dwarf Fortress.

"$25: Get a FREE copy of Dwarf Fortress!"
"$50: Get a FREE short story or piece of original artwork along with your FREE copy of Dwarf Fortress!!"
"$100: All of the above, plus a FREE membership on the Bay12 Forums!!"

It won't work with Kickstarter, too late. There is an actual playable game right now, after all. It should have been done with a long description, two mockups and a tech demo showing a single dwarf mining siltstone all the time.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: October 01, 2012, 10:44:41 am »

We should start a Kickstarter rewards service for Dwarf Fortress.

"$25: Get a FREE copy of Dwarf Fortress!"
"$50: Get a FREE short story or piece of original artwork along with your FREE copy of Dwarf Fortress!!"
"$100: All of the above, plus a FREE membership on the Bay12 Forums!!"

It won't work with Kickstarter, too late. There is an actual playable game right now, after all. It should have been done with a long description, two mockups and a tech demo showing a single dwarf mining siltstone all the time.
Ok so i was looking for a Dwarf digging siltstone, and sadly i found lots of minecraft diggy hole yogscast crap D:
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1742 on: October 01, 2012, 10:54:43 am »

Dynamicly innovated procedural content generation with enhanced database lookup for a new pardigm in creative polysylabic multiplayer world-building experiences on an entirely new level of immersive tactile telepresence.

$50: Keychain
$75: ALL OF THE ABOVE AND: Screen-printed pen
$150: ALL OF THE ABOVE AND: Dynamic interactive immersive communication in the new media of subspace harmonics.
$300: ALL OF THE ABOVE AND: Priority pre-ordering of pre-ordering priority for pre-purchace of finished retail entertainment containment field experience.
$500: ALL OF THE ABOVE AND: A piece of paper signed by the artist. May be a napkin.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #1743 on: October 01, 2012, 11:00:03 am »

I'm not sure if this counts as Kickstarter going wrong or doing exactly what it's indented to do, but it's just too amusing to pass up:
Crowdfunding: a Guide to What Works and Why (Canceled)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: October 01, 2012, 11:26:13 am »

I'm not sure if this counts as Kickstarter going wrong or doing exactly what it's indented to do, but it's just too amusing to pass up:

17 days in he realized that his own advice wasn't working? :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: October 01, 2012, 11:37:04 am »

17 days in he realized that his own advice wasn't working? :P

Tip #1: Don't start stupid Kickstarter projects. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: October 01, 2012, 12:21:04 pm »

It is funny to see people who give advice fail so badly.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: October 14, 2012, 06:26:52 pm »

So, here is an interesting funding strat on Kick Starter.

So this project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leviathaninteractive/project-lodus-a-cyberpunk-co-op-action-rpg/

Manage to magically get over half its funding goal on the last day.

This blog postulates that that is an attempt at gaming the system to not lose on the 22k they did actually raise and donated to themselves.
http://caffeineforge.com/2012/10/14/when-good-kickstarters-go-bad/
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: October 14, 2012, 06:47:50 pm »

Honestly, I'm surprised that sort of thing isn't a lot more prevalent, though perhaps it's due to the lack of projects that make it half way to their goal. My completely anecdotal observation is that projects either fail spectacularly and raise no money or meet their goal.

EDIT: If you define a potential bot as someone with no location, no picture, and no other backed projects then by my count only 34 of the last 112 backers (who would have backed on the last day) fall into that category, so it seems like they did get a significant bump in real backers on the last day. It's a shame we can't see how the pledges were distributed among the backers.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:59:54 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: October 14, 2012, 07:01:15 pm »

It's the fact that the average donation suddenly jumped so much that is suspicious.  And bots could probably get a stock photo as their avatar if programmed well.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: October 14, 2012, 10:20:06 pm »

Bots? I bet I could make 112 accounts in a day with enough proxies and mailinator accounts.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1751 on: October 15, 2012, 06:51:10 am »

Bots? I bet I could make 112 accounts in a day with enough proxies and mailinator accounts.
Especially if I knew I'd be getting 22 thousand dollars for the project if I did it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: October 15, 2012, 07:01:42 am »

Although that's kinda missing the point of KS isn't it? If you think that you could fund your project with 22k, why not set the threshold that low? If you don't think that's enough, then why even attempt to get so little money unless you're doing a blatant and obvious scam that would cause you to not get the money anyway?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1753 on: October 15, 2012, 07:41:52 am »

Although that's kinda missing the point of KS isn't it? If you think that you could fund your project with 22k, why not set the threshold that low? If you don't think that's enough, then why even attempt to get so little money unless you're doing a blatant and obvious scam that would cause you to not get the money anyway?
They may be pursuing the rest of the funding through another KS or through other donation sites.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: October 15, 2012, 09:28:58 am »

Like in the blog MrWiggles linked, I think the people who put their money towards the kickstarter wanted them to make a game that legitimately cost them $50,000 to make. Hence, to cut and run with less than half that is unfair to the donors.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 213