Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673723 times)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1230 on: June 14, 2012, 01:34:06 pm »

Human nature: video of guy falling down a manhole and drowning in sewerage is funniest thing on earth.  Video of kitten being kicked: most evil thing possible.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 14, 2012, 01:59:57 pm »

I did some research and found that. So, apparently, the kickstarting went as expected until Internet Hate Machine hit Sarkeesian hard, including death and rape threats. The obscene amount of money being pledged is the result of people wanting to show their support to the author. Still not sure if I agree this particular project deserves as much money, but I can sympathize. At least, it is bound to encourage people not to be dicks.
Alternatively, it could be called the Streisand Effect in action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 14, 2012, 02:36:39 pm »

I did some research and found that. So, apparently, the kickstarting went as expected until Internet Hate Machine hit Sarkeesian hard, including death and rape threats. The obscene amount of money being pledged is the result of people wanting to show their support to the author. Still not sure if I agree this particular project deserves as much money, but I can sympathize. At least, it is bound to encourage people not to be dicks.
Alternatively, it IS called the Streisand Effect in action.

FTFY. I've seen that term used more this week than the last 10 years on the internet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 14, 2012, 02:43:26 pm »

We should start a Kickstarter to prevent it from being overused.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 14, 2012, 10:58:11 pm »

Apparently Kickstarter have privately changed its TOS. In the past, Kickstarter has this to say about refunds:
Project Creators may initiate refunds at their own discretion. Kickstarter is not responsible for issuing refunds for funds that have been collected by Project Creators.

But now, the rule has changed vis a vis "refunds":
Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill.

Kickstarter reform is finally occurring, and I'm feel more secure in Kickstarter realizing potential problems in its system and starting to fix them. Good job, Kickstarter.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 14, 2012, 11:01:43 pm »

How can they enforce such a rule?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 14, 2012, 11:03:23 pm »

They probably can't.  :(

EDIT: Well, maybe it could help someone sue the starter of a Project, by referring to the TOS?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:07:59 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 14, 2012, 11:09:17 pm »

EDIT: Well, maybe it could help someone sue the starter of a Project, by referring to the TOS?
Only if you can find them. Its incredibly easy to stay hidden.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1238 on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:07 pm »

All this change will do is let people attack those who actually meant to do something. The ones who actually mean to scam will get away as they will be ready to hide from the start.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 15, 2012, 04:29:59 am »

I'm pretty sure Kickstarter asks for enough identifying information when you make a project.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 15, 2012, 04:31:09 am »

I'm pretty sure Kickstarter asks for enough identifying information when you make a project.
Fake identities, make em yourself in a few hours. Or buy one for a couple hundred.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 15, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »

Seeing the comments and stuff on youtube made me want to donate 'just cause, now stfu' too...  but... well, I can just throw in a dollar, seeing how well its doing already cause of that.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 16, 2012, 10:33:47 am »

I watched a couple of her vids though and tbh I thought they were tosh.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 16, 2012, 08:44:04 pm »

Tosh?

I saw about half her first video series, and while I agree with about half her points. It just seems unsubstantiated. I'd be interesting in seeing some statistics behind this. Gender, Role, ect ect. I know of WiR list, but at the same time, there lots of male characters in the same body tight suits.

Some of her points, I dont quite understand; she brought up reboots. She was talking about new Star Trek, and how these reboots wont have any more girls added to them. I'm not sure, what she would want from that. These characters, for reboot in particular, were already established and known characters. And at the same time, going back to Star Trek in particular, I think they expanded and added depth to the token girl, Uhura. I also think, she accidentally dismissed Uhura being a girl, and black being part of the main cast in the 1960s. And being a part of the first interracial kiss on tv as well.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 16, 2012, 08:55:31 pm »

Seeing the comments and stuff on youtube made me want to donate 'just cause, now stfu' too...  but... well, I can just throw in a dollar, seeing how well its doing already cause of that.
You can't be serious, this woman is expecting money for YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!! I don't agree with death and rape threats, but people can't seriously support the trash this woman spews.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 213