Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673624 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1215 on: June 14, 2012, 09:26:48 am »

If you take in money, you'd damn well better produced something, even if it's a comment a year later that says "Sorry!"

People that take in money through Kickstarter and then remorselessly abandon it without a word are, in my book, scammers. Well-meaning people don't do shit like that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 14, 2012, 09:30:00 am »

This kickstarter project really does mystify me, I support what she is trying to do but why does she need 125,000$ dollars to sit in front of a video camera and talk about this stuff? I mean seriously hundreds of people on youtube do what she is promising to do with this money and yet she is getting more money than most people earn in a year for a series of 12 videos that she probably could have done without this funding at all.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 14, 2012, 09:33:27 am »

Someone messaged me on Kickstarter today. They said that they were waiting for approval of their project, and had seen Cult while browsing other games. They asked for comments and advice on their project...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1766204091/1587310059?token=1b501669

Yeah... I don't really know what to tell them. Other than 'go back to the drawing board'. But I feel somehow that such advice doesn't stand much of a chance of being considered.

(I feel kind of bad even putting this here, but if somebody can think of a kind way for me to dissuade this person from making a fool of themselves, I will try.)

I love how, after pledging over 40$ and winning a bumper sticker and a photo print, I'm required to include 10$ more for shipping.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 14, 2012, 09:36:42 am »

This kickstarter project really does mystify me, I support what she is trying to do but why does she need 125,000$ dollars to sit in front of a video camera and talk about this stuff? I mean seriously hundreds of people on youtube do what she is promising to do with this money and yet she is getting more money than most people earn in a year for a series of 12 videos that she probably could have done without this funding at all.

Because she wants to be a professional about it, and that takes money? Money to do research and high production values? Honestly, I prefer it this way, to people's nauseating self-promotion on Youtube. "Subscribe to my channel!" "Kiss my ass!"
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 14, 2012, 09:45:21 am »

Because she wants to be a professional about it, and that takes money? Money to do research and high production values? Honestly, I prefer it this way, to people's nauseating self-promotion on Youtube. "Subscribe to my channel!" "Kiss my ass!"

Also, the actual goal was 6,000$. Still, looking at the actual video titles ("Fighting Fuck Toy", "Man with Boobs", "Women as Reward") I'm inclined to think that research phase is pretty much over and the conclusion drawn.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:25:22 am by Gantolandon »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1220 on: June 14, 2012, 10:11:26 am »

Wow.Those titles don't exactly scream professional; imo they're more of a media-style INSERT PROVOCATIVE TITLE HERE. Personally, I wouldn't view those. :/

Also, $6000 is a lot. I hope she appends a document with references after each video, whose access costed well over a couple thousand >.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 14, 2012, 10:20:30 am »

Also, $6000 is a lot. I hope she appends a document with references after each video, whose access costed well over a couple thousand >.>
And since she actually raised over $125,000 what should she append to her videos?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1222 on: June 14, 2012, 10:51:22 am »

And since she actually raised over $125,000 what should she append to her videos?
Honestly, she should just abscond with the cash and upload a video of herself rolling in money then flipping off the camera.

I would. >.>

Since they were all donations, she is under no obligation to provide anything beyond the videos she promised. Hell she's not even under an obligation to complete the videos really.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 14, 2012, 10:59:16 am »

Wow.Those titles don't exactly scream professional; imo they're more of a media-style INSERT PROVOCATIVE TITLE HERE. Personally, I wouldn't view those. :/

I disagree with both points. The single video title 'The Fighting F#@k Toy' is pretty provocative, but it can be very accurate and all the other titles seem normal enough. And yeah, 6,000 dollars, not that much. I mean, she is obviously going to do it in a much more professional environment then most. That costs money. And 6,000 is not a whole lot in the long run. The fact that she made over a 100,000 dollars I don't think reflects badly upon her, but rather how important this is to some people. She did not ask for that, she just got it. People think it is a fair reward for what she offered.

And on: "Also, $6000 is a lot. I hope she appends a document with references after each video, whose access costed well over a couple thousand >.>" each video is going to cost significantly less then $500. So. Okay.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 14, 2012, 12:29:48 pm »

I did some research and found that. So, apparently, the kickstarting went as expected until Internet Hate Machine hit Sarkeesian hard, including death and rape threats. The obscene amount of money being pledged is the result of people wanting to show their support to the author. Still not sure if I agree this particular project deserves as much money, but I can sympathize. At least, it is bound to encourage people not to be dicks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 14, 2012, 12:30:48 pm »

I did some research and found that. So, apparently, the kickstarting went as expected until Internet Hate Machine hit Sarkeesian hard, including death and rape threats. The obscene amount of money being pledged is the result of people wanting to show their support to the author. Still not sure if I agree this particular project deserves as much money, but I can sympathize. At least, it is bound to encourage people not to be dicks.

Just so you know, we basically had this conversation a page or two ago already.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 14, 2012, 12:36:12 pm »

Just so you know, we basically had this conversation a page or two ago already.

Uh, we did? This particular Kickstarter page hadn't been brought then yet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 14, 2012, 12:39:53 pm »

My bad. This discussion was basically also happening in the When Kickstarter Goes Right Thread.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1228 on: June 14, 2012, 01:00:18 pm »

Huh, that's really harsh of the internet. o_o

Of course, it is the internet.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 14, 2012, 01:14:09 pm »

Overarching rule of the internet: Be amusing or die. Woe be unto you if your death would be amusing, too!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 213