Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673678 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1260 on: June 16, 2012, 11:52:21 pm »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 17, 2012, 08:09:09 am »

After watching some of her videos, she isn't as bad as I originally thought. I still think that the notion of "silly clichés in videogames and movies are ruining the perception of women in society" is ridiculous. If a girl wants to play with "Lego Siege Engine Set" she's going to play with it. I shape my perception on women based on women I've actually interacted with, not what Holly Wood or Gears of Grim dark 4: BIGASS FRIES edition present.

I'm not going to lie, at least she got me actually thinking about this sort of thing, and swayed my view of feminism(just a little).

What I really don't understand is why "feminists" get rectal ravaged when a "twig with two globes for a chest" shows up on screen, if I'm supposed to feel bad about my sexuality then they can go back to getting bent.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 17, 2012, 09:18:07 am »

I shape my perception on women based on women I've actually interacted with, not what Holly Wood or Gears of Grim dark 4: BIGASS FRIES edition present.

I guarantee this isn't as simple as you think it is. Sexist stereotypes have been shown pretty much universally to increase sexist attitudes. Nobody's going to go out and think that some shallow crappy female character is real, but when, for instance, the vast majority of female characters seem to exist solely to help out a male character, that plays right into stereotypes like "The most important thing for a woman to do in her life is to find a man".

It might not convince people, but a little bit of media might make someone feel just a little better with their sexist beliefs, and when it's getting broadcast daily to the entire western world then the influence starts to add up.

What I really don't understand is why "feminists" get rectal ravaged when a "twig with two globes for a chest" shows up on screen, if I'm supposed to feel bad about my sexuality then they can go back to getting bent.

It's not men finding them attractive that's the problem. The problem is when the goal of most every female character seems to be for men to find them attractive. I mean, the things female characters get put through to look sexy are just ridiculous. If male characters are subject to the same thing, it's comical how ridiculous they look. But when that spine breaking hey-you-need-to-see-my-ass-and-my-boobs pose is basically Zero Suit Samus' default, nobody blinks an eye.

If women's sexuality were given as much weight as men's, it'd be fine because everyone would have something nice to look at, but currently nobody wants that.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 17, 2012, 01:14:10 pm »

Seriously. My only exposer to Question/Renee Montoya was their respective appearances in the DCAU, and if they're half as awesome in the comics...
They're at least as awesome. Get some trade paperbacks of the Question's '87 run and check out some of Gotham Central.
Anyone else think we sorely need a comics thread?
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 17, 2012, 01:15:37 pm »

I added comic books to the cartoon thread (similar to how the anime thread's often talking about manga). Gush all you want there :D
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 17, 2012, 01:21:24 pm »

I added comic books to the cartoon thread (similar to how the anime thread's often talking about manga). Gush all you want there :D
Oh cool, I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 17, 2012, 04:27:12 pm »

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 17, 2012, 05:59:42 pm »

No. "Geek culture" is not less sexist than "pop culture". You can't just cherry pick a few examples to make what you identify with seem better and ignore how the vast majority of cases shows that the opposite is true.
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 17, 2012, 06:03:20 pm »

Gonna have to agree with Scriver there.

I'm trying to think of "good" examples from pop culture but if Star Trek isn't included in "pop culture" I'm not sure exactly where the line is drawn in the first place. The example I usually bring up is Ripley from Alien, but that might be filed under "geek culture" by some.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1269 on: June 17, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »

Sadly Alien has been demoted to geek culture now. Its a really good movie but it has happened long enough ago that Ripley has faded from pop culture. Now the alien itself is still in but thats less because of the movie and more because of the alien itself infecting a lot of different medias. Also for anyone complaining about people paying for YouTube videos I would just like to inform you that there are people making their livings off of income directly related to their YouTube videos.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 17, 2012, 06:18:20 pm »

Well, not youtube itself, but internet video series in general.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 17, 2012, 07:56:01 pm »

So I saw this on Boing Boing today (watch the video). I guess it's kind of a cute hoax, even though I don't think it's that funny, but what does it say about Kickstarter's review process that they actually let this one through?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 17, 2012, 09:19:30 pm »

So I saw this on Boing Boing today (watch the video). I guess it's kind of a cute hoax, even though I don't think it's that funny, but what does it say about Kickstarter's review process that they actually let this one through?
That they have a sense of humor? Its not like its going to get funded.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 17, 2012, 09:26:09 pm »

That's gonna take more than 21 million dollars.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 17, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »

They cite several billion in the video.

I guess it's just a convoluted advertisement for their site?
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 213