Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Werecreature defence strategies.  (Read 5550 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Werecreature defence strategies.
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:04:01 am »

I recently had all but one dwarf annihilated by a werecreature-induced tantrum spiral, and was wondering how to prevent future outbreaks. Specifically, one of my military dwarves turned with the full moon and was put down, but not without infecting someone else. Then that dwarf turned, but was put down before spreading the disease. Now with all but a handfull of soldiers dead, the unhappiness created berserkers, which created corpses, which caused tantrums, which made berserkers... Anyway, now that I have a lone dwarf who will soon inherit the fort (just as soon as the last berserker starves), and I need to know how to prevent this from ever happening again.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Werecreature defence strategies.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:51:17 am »

Crossbow squads, war animals, migrant quarantine, migrant gassing, adv mode werewolf removal, all-vampire fortress and/or shooting down the moon. Pick your choice.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:53:01 am »

I find it laughable how people think were creatures need to be significantly buffed, they can already ruin a fortress.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:46:42 am »

Cage traps randomly placed in the corridors should capture the werecreatures in beast form (although I'm not sure if it can capture your dwarves have been turned)

Then build an isolation unit, toss in plenty of food the odd goblin and then begin the weaponisation experiments!

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:56:40 am »

Cage traps at all intersections is just plain good fortress planning.
And give happy thoughts if you use quality mechanisms.

Beyond that, you can put migrants in quarantine for a year.  This will flush out both vampires and werekangaroos.
Bonus points for putting quarantine inside an evil biome.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 02:48:14 pm »

The talk of cage traps has got me in a !!Science!! kinda mood.  Does anyone know if a captured werecreature can be assigned to a chain?  I've got some ideas I want to try out:

1.  Chain a werecreature in front of the fortress in hopes that it will tear apart any ambushers or seiges that get too close.  Or failing that, just make them exhaust their arrows.  Maybe a set of bridges so I can isolate him once he's shot up too much and let him regenerate.

2.  Create a 'werefort'.  Chain a werecreature up in a barracks and force squads to train against him with full steel armor and wooden hammers.  Isolate anyone bitten in their own fortress complex and unleash them on invaders.

3.  Weredorf medicine.  If I have a dorf who is alive but has cripping injuries (severe pain, bruised brain, missing an arm or something), assign him to the military and let him get chewed on by the weretrainer for a bit.  One month later, the regeneration gives me a working dorf again!  Who has to be kept isolated from his friends and loved ones, and can never leave the military.

Really, once you get past the whole "Infect your citizens and turn them into blood-crazed murder beasts" bit, it seems like a weredorf could be very useful.  Of course, all my plans hinge on being able to somehow isolate and restrain the weredorf, which I'm not sure how to do. 

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:53:14 pm »

Yeah, a weresoldier would be awesome. Assuming, that is, that you only get sieged during full moons, when he's in his were form.

Um, yeah. Back to the drawing board.

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 04:01:29 pm »

Yeah, a weresoldier would be awesome. Assuming, that is, that you only get sieged during full moons, when he's in his were form.

Um, yeah. Back to the drawing board.

That's easy enough to solve - just keep the drawbridges up until the moon rises.

Or just send them in as-is in their plain boring dorf forms, secure in the knowledge that they'll shrug off any injuries next full moon.  Seriously, the regeneration alone makes a weredorf military seem like a worthwhile experiment.  How many legendary dorfs have you lost because of a lucky shot causing a bruised brain, a broken spine, or a missing limb?

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 06:17:18 pm »

What we really need in future updates is a way to induce the transformations. Like constructing an artificial moon, or exposure to some rare mineral, or maybe an alchemical potion that can be brewed up and assigned to soldiers for use during battle (with the distinct possibility of going on a team killing rampage, of course.)

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 07:03:04 pm »

What we really need in future updates is a way to induce the transformations. Like constructing an artificial moon, or exposure to some rare mineral, or maybe an alchemical potion that can be brewed up and assigned to soldiers for use during battle (with the distinct possibility of going on a team killing rampage, of course.)

You see before you Drasfogl, a microcline artifact artificial moon. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of microcline and is adorned with rings of schist. On it is an engraving of Urist Mcmoonmaker eating cheese in orthoclase.
This space for rent

james296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:40:09 pm »

what does being a where-wolf do?
i know they turn into a beast during the full moom, but what silver and stuff? are they stronger in human form then normal people or is becoming a wolf thier only pro (or con, depending on what you think)

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 08:31:21 pm »

Would it be possible to just have a entire fort of werecreatures? At least then they would never attack one another. I don't know how difficult it would be since werecreatures really prefer to kill their victim if given the chance, and if too many dorfs die you get tantrums...

I think it might have been done with vampires by now, anyway.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 09:10:30 pm »

OH ARMOK! Ghosts! Ghosts everywhere!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 09:16:33 pm »

I find it laughable how people think were creatures need to be significantly buffed, they can already ruin a fortress.

Anything can ruin a fortress. A werecreature can only do so at a certain time of the month.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 11:34:24 pm »

its just like wo... badly planned clock devices!
Pages: [1] 2