Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Werecreature defence strategies.  (Read 5545 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Werecreature defence strategies.
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 12:03:54 am »

So, my last dwarf starves after going insane and I reclaim. Three are killed right off by an ambushing berserker, and the rest run underground. As time goes by, more and more ghosts rise, and the violent ones started killing people. I am eventually left with one dwarf who goes insane and starts starving...

Hey, I think there's a pattern here!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 12:30:33 am »

The talk of cage traps has got me in a !!Science!! kinda mood.  Does anyone know if a captured werecreature can be assigned to a chain?

I appear to have a werebadger in a cage, so I'll check.

The answer is yes, but it is generally inadvisable to, say, put said rope in the middle of your dog pasture.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:21 am »

The talk of cage traps has got me in a !!Science!! kinda mood.  Does anyone know if a captured werecreature can be assigned to a chain?

The answer is yes, but it is generally inadvisable to, say, put said rope in the middle of your dog pasture.

Excellent!  With this, we can make werecreature danger rooms!  Chain the werebeast in a room such that it can just barely reach the square in front of the door.  Order a military dwarf (fully armored and carrying a wooden training weapon) into the room and lock the door.  Keep him there until he's bitten, then unlock the door and let him out.  Then never let him see his friends or loved ones ever again as you keep him segregated from the rest of your fort, only releasing him during sieges and ambushes.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 11:42:26 am »

Will werecreatures attack werecreatures of the same type? An all-wereyak fort might be possible. Also, what about werecreature vampires?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 12:17:12 pm »

It might be inadvisable to use a rope to hold a werecreature anywhere. Strong dwarves have been known to break out from ropes, I suspect a werecreature could also do it. Use a metal chain, preferably steel.

Or, stick with the rope and let us know how that works out for you. ;)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 02:52:47 pm »

My limited experience with were-creatures would make me wonder just how useful all the effort would be. I've had two human were-kangaroos show up on my current embark. They both turned back to their human forms after chasing some livestock, at which point my meagerly trained warriors completely destroyed the poor lycanthropes. Sure, they're really tough when they turn, but, for most of the time, they're just regulary old wussy peasants.

Having said that, limb regeneration would be a nice perk for any military dwarf.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 03:37:09 pm »

I just laugh and ready the spear traps. Plenty of useless lever-switcher migrants to help me fend them off. Though I don't usually use a military, so for that, I suspect I'd use vamp troops to avoid infections.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:51:02 pm by Xangi »
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 03:41:15 pm »

Turtle it! werechameleon which attacked me turned into peasant in 20 secs

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 03:55:45 pm »

My limited experience with were-creatures would make me wonder just how useful all the effort would be. I've had two human were-kangaroos show up on my current embark. They both turned back to their human forms after chasing some livestock, at which point my meagerly trained warriors completely destroyed the poor lycanthropes. Sure, they're really tough when they turn, but, for most of the time, they're just regulary old wussy peasants.

Having said that, limb regeneration would be a nice perk for any military dwarf.

Yeah.  My main thought here isn't to annihilate everything with werewombats, it's to have a military that's basically immune to anything short of absolutely massive bleeding or an instant kill.  As long as they can survive for a month, it doesn't matter if you bruise their brains or sever limbs or whatnot - they'll regenerate it all and be ready to go.  It might also be useful for fighting syndrome-causing forgotten beasts, since they could heal up without being brought into your hospital with other recovering dwarves.
Pages: 1 [2]