Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: War of the Roses  (Read 13162 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Roses
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 01:47:49 am »

Rule of cool is a very powerful thing. No one wants to play as a guy who can only shuffle after people and is almost completely useless off a horse.

It's just fake enough to be fun.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 01:54:26 am »

Actualy knights were surprisingly agile warriors for the kind of armor they wore. The armor wasn't expensive because of the material used in it, but the level of craftsmanship required to make heavy armor that would allow you to fight normaly both on foot and while riding a horse. My problem with this game is that it seriously overdoses on rule of cool. NOBODY would jump down from a roof to fight anyone, and no experienced soldier would stab some guy's face more then once if the stab was deep enough to penetrate the skull.

I'm ust nitpicking, but it just looks way too silly.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 02:00:50 am »

The promo video in the OP shows a bunch of archers firing from the ground, but they're in the middle of a field.
Warband
Unless you're saying people who play War of the Roses won't go on the roofs as archers, and will allow enemies to drop in from above where they won't have as good a chance of using their ranged weapons on them?

I swear, the people they have demonstrating this game don't know what the hell is going on, don't care, or are on some kind of drug.

Rule of cool is a very powerful thing. No one wants to play as a guy who can only shuffle after people and is almost completely useless off a horse.

It's just fake enough to be fun.
In Warband you could fall from a horse going full charge wearing full plate armor, and recover as if you had tripped on a tree stump while on a morning jog. True story.

Also, WOTR is supposed to have mounted combat, from what I've heard, but we haven't seen any of it yet (as in actually demonstrated). Curious as to what it's going to look like.

no experienced soldier would stab some guy's face more then once if the stab was deep enough to penetrate the skull.
From what I saw in the demonstration I posted you don't actually die until the execution animation is completed, so I assume this means after being stabbed twice through the head with a dagger (after suffering the injuries that caused you to fall in the first place) somebody can come along and bop the guy herpyderp and save you good as new.

EDIT: I think I forgot to mention this, but this game just makes me want M&B2 more. Supposedly it's being made but we have next to no information about it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:03:15 am by OzyTheSage »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 02:07:06 am »

Well I am sure that once you get a dagger to the skull and actually DIE, you will respawn ala Team Fortress. This type of play will certainly sell some games.

And yeah, not saying M&B is realistic, but I cant stand Team Fortress or that styles of relentless respawing PvP, and thats what I see in the videos.

However! I usually never gripe about games, if I dont like something I usually just dont even post in the threads. I was just shocked about the dude jumping from a roof in chain and helmet while holding a sword. A game is a game, but being compared to M&B I was actually hooping from something along those lines but more polished. This is more like something else I think, the only similarity I see so far is pseudo-authentic medieval setting.
I got nothing

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 02:10:10 am »

M&B 2 was confirmed by m&b's main dev a year or so ago, but taleswords is either being rather inactive or very careful about not letting any detail on its development slip out. I'm going to hope its the latter.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 03:28:30 am »

It's a video game. Give people access to roofs and someone will jump off, no matter how silly it looks or how likely it is to kill them. Hell, people will definitely jump off if it's silly and fatal. I think the designers wanted to make a game that was just straight-up fun to play, and the artists (esp. animators) wanted to make a game that was dark and brutal.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 04:16:13 am »

Jumping from buildings hurts, try it. Now try it in 150 lbs of armor.

lol man what kind of armor are you referencing? that's way to heavy.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 04:53:16 am »

Jumping from buildings hurts, try it. Now try it in 150 lbs of armor.

lol man what kind of armor are you referencing? that's way to heavy.

Well, I might have exaggerated the weight a bit, but I hope this isnt implying that it would in fact be easy to jump from a roof in a suit of chain?

I am not going to deny that some people will find this fun, jumping from roofs and such. Again, the same folks that like TF and similar titles, and thats obviously a lot of people.

Sure its a game, and if you provide access to the roof (I mean yeah, im sure theres lots of ladders lying around? Or maybe you just jump up there in the anti-grav chainmail) people will jump. All I am saying is it looks dumb. Sure go on ahead and let them jump off that roof and break their leg.

I have said enough, and like I said, I aint here to gripe or say that Team Fortress: Swords and Hats Helms isnt cool.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:54:52 am by ductape »
I got nothing

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 05:14:56 pm »

I just wanted to point out for anybody who has forgotten aboooot this and are still interested.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/05/a-thorny-issue-war-of-the-roses/

I haven't been paying much attention, but I'm assuming that more information is going to be released because of PAX

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 05:33:17 pm »

DO WANT

I got annoyed watching the dev log thing, though, because he said crossbows are more accurate than bows at long range. What? No. Just no. Crossbows were popular because you could hand one to an untrained peasant idiot and expect him to become at least mildly more threatening with it than without it, NOT because they could outcompete a bow, especially at long range. A trained bowman is WAY more deadly than somebody with a crossbow any day of the week.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 05:36:35 pm »

DO WANT

I got annoyed watching the dev log thing, though, because he said crossbows are more accurate than bows at long range. What? No. Just no. Crossbows were popular because you could hand one to an untrained peasant idiot and expect him to become at least mildly more threatening with it than without it, NOT because they could outcompete a bow, especially at long range. A trained bowman is WAY more deadly than somebody with a crossbow any day of the week.
They aren't going for realism, here. Sorry.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 05:47:08 pm »

To my [limited] understanding; the heavier crossbows were more accurate than bows since they could be drawn further mechanically, (some) had metal strings and were generally easier to weld/steady. This means they could also use heavier ammunition which I assume would be affected less by the wind. 
Of course if we're talking about the lighter crossbows that were pretty much drawn by hand and fired, than yes, a trained bowman would be way more accurate. Crossbows were also cheaper to mass produce and maintain which did make them "peasant weapons". 

Little bit confused by the decision to include early firearms. Having slow inaccurate one-shot-kills weapons are generally considered one of the most annoying things in multiplayer games. Plus I haven't seen a single game that uses early firearms correctly. Generally a pistol or two would be used in battle once and then forgotten about since the reload times were just too long.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 06:22:46 pm »

Looks like this is worth keeping an eye on!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 03:28:18 am »

YES. I'm stoked for this, even though paradox has been bogging down the M&B team ever since they took over producing it. I sure wasn't happy when my copy of M&B that I bought in 2005 became obsolete once they started forcing expansions with little added into the mix to add multiplayer [a feature promised in 1.0 M&B for years...] mainly, but I digress.

I like the graphics on that crossbow. Those grains.

But otherwise what I'm reading scares me. Lack of depth, arcade-y, lack of RPG elements/singleplayer... Yeah, I'll pass, unless this turns into a M&B2 or ends up being good.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:36:05 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 03:46:38 am »

Courtesy of Wikipedia since I was curious after the exchange above:
"A complete suit of plate armour made from well-tempered steel would weigh around 20 kg (45 pounds)."
"Specialized jousting armour produced in the late 15th to 16th century was heavier, and could weigh as much as 50 kg (100 pounds)..."
(Huh. Lighter than I would've thought!)

And, of course, the true value of armor: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hallgerd's_Tale
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5