Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: War of the Roses  (Read 13143 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: War of the Roses
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 12:17:16 am »

Courtesy of Wikipedia since I was curious after the exchange above:
"A complete suit of plate armour made from well-tempered steel would weigh around 20 kg (45 pounds)."
"Specialized jousting armour produced in the late 15th to 16th century was heavier, and could weigh as much as 50 kg (100 pounds)..."
(Huh. Lighter than I would've thought!)

And, of course, the true value of armor: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hallgerd's_Tale

Heres some stuff with weights people are actually making today with modern machining tools and metals and such. Probably pretty similar. These weigh in at about 65 lbs. The 45 lbs armor was Renaissance era, probably a lot more about ornament than anything else since warfare was pretty different by then. The Wikipedia article didnt give any weight for middle ages armor, unless I missed it.

Well, thats heavy either way, and it also doesnt move too well. I have freinds who do that silly SCA shit and have seen it in action. NO matter how you slice it, even a modern soldier in modern body armor, or far that matter no body armor, would jump off a roof (like full on jump in the air jump for maximum height) and land on the ground without seriously cramping his style.

But yeah, not going for realism, i get it. Aside from that, it actually looks pretty boring, am I missing something? Is it cool because its all medieval-ey?
I got nothing

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 12:38:48 am »

20 kg sounds like a lot but keep in mind that it's distributed over the body and padded pretty securely.  It's going to reduce your range of motion a little and be uncomfortable long term but if you are used to wearing it you won't be some sort of lumbering hulk.  Many pre-motorized infantry in the 20th century carried nearly twice that weight in their full kit during marches.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 02:31:52 am »

Yeah I remember being in the marine corps and hiking around mountains with about 40-50 pounds of gear all day...you get used to it.

Obviously your not gonna be hopping around roof tops though lol...

but as stated above especially with medieval armor its spread throughout the body so the 45 pounds is not as hindering as one might imagine.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 01:05:36 pm »

As a totally random statement about old school armor, more than a few knights are known to have swum across rivers in full kit on bets/dares, also do cartwheels (seriously) and climb ladders/ropes with only their hands.  Stuff wasnt all that restrictive.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 05:03:16 pm »

I dunno, it looks like an emphasis on running around and slashing in the same way Modern Warfare is about running and gunning. Personally I'd love to see a game like this built with features from the get-go to encourage fighting as a unit, holding formations, using real tactics, that kind of thing. Basically what happens when a clan with teamspeak appears in Mount & Blade.

But I'm probably in a weird minority in that I'd enjoy a game like that...you know, a First-Person Total War.

Fun random fact: Knights would often "wall running" which bares similarities to modern day parkour. http://www.thearma.org/essays/fit/RennFit.htm
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:09:52 pm by MorleyDev »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 05:11:11 pm »

"A complete suit of plate armour made from well-tempered steel would weigh around 20 kg (45 pounds)."
"Specialized jousting armour produced in the late 15th to 16th century was heavier, and could weigh as much as 50 kg (100 pounds)..."

And, of course, the true value of armor: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hallgerd's_Tale

Lighter then you thought but heavier then you realise.

For example those big bulky barely able to move sumo suits weigh 11kgs or less (half as much as a steel plate armor).

It took me a while to realise that when people said "ohh well that isn't very heavy" I remembered "Wait a minute... my backpack is barely 15 pounds and I feel it"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 12:00:31 am »

Makes a big difference when it's distributed across your body, though. My armor is pretty heavy in it's bag, but not that bad when I'm wearing it. Although the helmet gets to be a bit much after a while. Training with armor makes it much easier as well, since your body gets used to the weight and you build up muscle to help you support everything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 12:51:36 am »

Lighter then you thought but heavier then you realise.

For example those big bulky barely able to move sumo suits weigh 11kgs or less (half as much as a steel plate armor).

It took me a while to realise that when people said "ohh well that isn't very heavy" I remembered "Wait a minute... my backpack is barely 15 pounds and I feel it"

I weighed my laptop bag today at Ikea; it was 22lb (assuming it wasn't broken... it seemed pretty close from what I remember my own weight being). I used to walk about a mile to my high school and my bag then was about 35lb. (And once... through over a foot of snow, since classes were cancelled when I got there, but not before I left. My parents tried to pick me up, but had to meet halfway, since an accidents blocked off both roads on the hill.)

Having said that, sumo suits [the ones for fun, at least] are kind of designed to be bulky and awkward to use. Quite the contrary for a well-designed backpack or suit of armor. I wouldn't attempt any kind of acrobatics whatsoever with any additional weight, but I think I could certainly walk around all day with my backpack on. It did just occur to me though-- I'm not sure if that Wikipedia line included all auxiliary padding and whatnot, or just the required metal and straps.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 01:18:02 am »

Makes a big difference when it's distributed across your body, though. My armor is pretty heavy in it's bag, but not that bad when I'm wearing it. Although the helmet gets to be a bit much after a while. Training with armor makes it much easier as well, since your body gets used to the weight and you build up muscle to help you support everything.

Not saying it is entirely weighing you around and yes the other person is right... When I was in a Sumo Suit the weight was nothing it was because it was constricting my arms that made it impossible to move in.

It is just that the weight is a bit more significant then you realise.

I think I could certainly walk around all day with my backpack on

Walk sure! all day... well ok... maybe not though (your arms would feel weird after a while)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 01:44:42 am »

go ahead and just try and go jog for a while with your laptop in your pack, try 10 minutes and see how that goes.

I doubt anyone in this game will ever walk, i bet there isn't even a walk mode, its all run and slash and jump.
I got nothing

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2012, 02:18:20 am »

Wants: Realism
Gets: Arcade
Becomes: Sad

:(

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2012, 12:21:51 pm »

It is just that the weight is a bit more significant then you realise.

The weight of the sumo suit isn't what's constraining you.  It's the constraining joints.

Back when I on the wrestling team and in good physical fitness I would sometimes drill with one of our heavy second string guys when my partner couldn't make practice.  I was wrestling 119 and this guy weighed about twice that.  I could not just lift him up and carry him but could give him piggy back rides while jogging.  I could also throw this guy, roll him, lift him, etc.

It takes a lot of weight to seriously inhibit movement.

go ahead and just try and go jog for a while with your laptop in your pack, try 10 minutes and see how that goes.

Been there, done that.  Wasn't even in great shape when I did it.  Haven't you ever needed to make a connecting flight?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2012, 02:09:51 pm »

Just saying here, wearing armor is a lifetime's worth of training, and this is before plate mail, so while it did inhibit movement a bit, it wasn't so heavy as to stop you from doing anything, nor was it as bulky as a backpack. A suit of armor that weights 12 pounds is more like 7 pounds on the torso, 1 on the head, 2 on the arms, and 2 on the legs, all held together by leather straps. If you've trained to be in armor your entire life, then it's as much an extension of your body so running in it and jumping down 10 feet isn't so bad. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean that they couldn't.

Armors drawbacks come from the fact that it has joints,and eye slits that limit your field of vision, plus when you're down, striking the exposed bits with french mercy is easy.

The real bulky armor is what people on horses would wear, because fuck mobility, I'm on a horse. (Just don't fall in the mud)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »

Bumping again because a few videos were posted without me looking, thought some of you would appreciate some sharing.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-east-war-of-the/729065
The most notable thing, IMO, is that sweeping somebody's legs to make them trip is an available tactic. In M&B you aimed for the legs simply because some people don't bother to wear leg protection so they actually take more damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWswuxyEwIU&feature=youtu.be
Weapons have 'health' so to speak, so I can't be a warspear spamming douchebag =(
Then again I don't even think they have warspears or polestun...

Currently they have 32 player servers, but they are looking to push for more.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 01:01:05 am »

More vidyas from someone who seems to at least have played M&B before.

I'm curious to see what the game will be like several months from now, and hopefully by then we may actually have heard something about M&B2.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5